Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

You hitting 1200 points a week at the moment? I'm impressed...

I do though guarantee you won't hit it with my Apple watch... 21km run - 100points, 14km run - 100 points, two hours of squash - 100points, if I'm lucky.

This is the device they supplied to me, to measure my training and it simply can't regularly perform that function. And their service desk is so busy at the moment, if you don't have oodles of spare time to chase it all up, you end up just laughing it off - Yip, that 45km running week isn't enough for the fitness actuaries at Disco... 

Is your strap tight enough?

And yes - I am, and on most weeks more. My 45 min after work sessions on the bike (when I remember the watch / HR  strap / whatever) get me minimum 300 points - except last friday when I forgot my HR belt and got 100 points. Yesterday's chilled ride with a mate who is getting back into MTB would have gotten me another 300 points, if I took my garmin along with me. Then there's the other times I ride over the weekend - min 90 minutes, which is 600 points. 

If it comes down to the device, you'll need to speak to apple as it may be a hardware issue

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that.....but they will claim they "did not supply the device" 

I think they may have some trouble coming.....I did not see the details and all the T's and C's....did they market it as a device to accurately measure your heart rate to help you reach your Vitality target ?

If so the inaccuracy of the device and it's inability to prove itself as a sturdy fitness device would then lead to having been misled.....and now they say it's between Apple and the watch wearers to sort it out.....will Apple have a recall and replace all the units ?

Interesting days ahead from what I can see.....

IT IS AN APPLE DEVICE. 

Where was it picked up from? That's right - an iStore. It's a LIFESTYLE device that can read HR. If there's a recall, guess who will honour the warranty? YES - that's right, fkng APPLE. Discovery didn't market the device - Apple did. All discovery did was offer another way to finance a watch which could help you to reach your goals, and say it "could" be covered if you reach the goals as set out and editable by Disco

Discovery is the avenue through which it is financed. Nothing more. I really don't see what is so difficult to understand, here. You bought it on your Disco card. Apple already have the cash. As far as they're concerned you're another iwatch owner. 

How much you pay on a monthly basis is determined by how often you reach your goals. YOU decided to buy it. YOU should have read the terms and conditions. YOU should have ensured that if you weren't able to hit the goals, you were comfortable with a payment of X per month. Do you all of a sudden not want the device now that the goals are more difficult? Oh. You're still using it, are you? You're still wearing it on a daily basis, and pairing it with your phone... Guess what: It was ALWAYS going to get more difficult. Nobody said it would stay the same. 

Surely the penny is going to drop sooner or later.

If you want free stuff there is always a price. If Disco want you to train at 80% for 30 minutes 4 times a week in future and you don't want to the don't. I don't think they really care.

If you don't want to adapt your recording or your workouts to get a R5k watch or R65 worth of free coffee a week then don't. They want to change the behaviour of their customers and are paying you to do it.  It's voluntary.

When will this sink in?

Disco will not level the playing field, they won't stop moving the goal posts of members who do achieve their weekly goals. They know they will then have to deal with thousands of unhappy members. The more members who are not achieving their weekly goals, the less money they have to fork out for free coffees and smoothies, those who do meet their weekly goals, just increase their goals to make it harder, there's a few extra members that Disco will not need to pay for weekly free coffees and smoothies. Turn on the screws, continue to move the goal posts under the pretends that DISCO is "encouraging individuals to live a healthier lifestyle", it's not about the money savings they are making with members unable to meet the goals anymore, devices being removed and all the new vitality members they have snatched up with the sly deals they offered.

IT IS AN APPLE DEVICE. 

Where was it picked up from? That's right - an iStore. It's a LIFESTYLE device that can read HR. If there's a recall, guess who will honour the warranty? YES - that's right, fkng APPLE. Discovery didn't market the device - Apple did. All discovery did was offer another way to finance a watch which could help you to reach your goals, and say it "could" be covered if you reach the goals as set out and editable by Disco

Discovery is the avenue through which it is financed. Nothing more. I really don't see what is so difficult to understand, here. You bought it on your Disco card. Apple already have the cash. As far as they're concerned you're another iwatch owner. 

How much you pay on a monthly basis is determined by how often you reach your goals. YOU decided to buy it. YOU should have read the terms and conditions. YOU should have ensured that if you weren't able to hit the goals, you were comfortable with a payment of X per month. Do you all of a sudden not want the device now that the goals are more difficult? Oh. You're still using it, are you? You're still wearing it on a daily basis, and pairing it with your phone... Guess what: It was ALWAYS going to get more difficult. Nobody said it would stay the same. 

But now Myles.......I ask the question once again......when you reach your goal every single week for the contract period.....who pays for the watch ?

As for marketing....no they never marketed the actual device.....but they keep marketing it as a fitness device....massive billboards all over Gauteng......

Is your strap tight enough?

And yes - I am, and on most weeks more. My 45 min after work sessions on the bike (when I remember the watch / HR  strap / whatever) get me minimum 300 points - except last friday when I forgot my HR belt and got 100 points. Yesterday's chilled ride with a mate who is getting back into MTB would have gotten me another 300 points, if I took my garmin along with me. Then there's the other times I ride over the weekend - min 90 minutes, which is 600 points. 

If it comes down to the device, you'll need to speak to apple as it may be a hardware issue

It's tight... almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The app you have to use now, now that Strava is not allowed, is also a bloody joke.

All round, it's just not as straight forward as it should be, as straight forward as it was in fact. When people who are doing the things you ask are being punished, there is a problem  ;)

Of those who get the 4 rewards a week, I wonder how many use all 4 every week? I certainly don't, in fact I only use them on rare occasions .....

Disco will not level the playing field, they won't stop moving the goal posts of members who do achieve their weekly goals. They know they will then have to deal with thousands of unhappy members. The more members who are not achieving their weekly goals, the less money they have to fork out for free coffees and smoothies, those who do meet their weekly goals, just increase their goals to make it harder, there's a few extra members that Disco will not need to pay for weekly free coffees and smoothies. Turn on the screws, continue to move the goal posts under the pretends that DISCO is "encouraging individuals to live a healthier lifestyle", it's not about the money savings they are making with members unable to meet the goals anymore, devices being removed and all the new vitality members they have snatched up with the sly deals they offered.

max points are soft capped at 1200 per week, which is the highest it'll go. If they change that ruling, I'll be very disappointed.

I still think they should put a better scale in place though. Recognise that for longer efforts, your HR should be lower than for shorter ones. 

It's tight... almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The app you have to use now, now that Strava is not allowed, is also a bloody joke.

All round, it's just not as straight forward as it should be, as straight forward as it was in fact. When people who are doing the things you ask are being punished, there is a problem  ;)

Take it to Apple. If it's not reading reliably, there may be an issue. 

IT IS AN APPLE DEVICE. 

I am gonna take my watch back to iStore actually... lets see what they spin about the heart rate being such a mess  :D  

Of those who get the 4 rewards a week, I wonder how many use all 4 every week? I certainly don't, in fact I only use them on rare occasions .....

I've only used two... my wifes been having a field day with them though as I send her all my extras too  :devil: 

But now Myles.......I ask the question once again......when you reach your goal every single week for the contract period.....who pays for the watch ?

As for marketing....no they never marketed the actual device.....but they keep marketing it as a fitness device....massive billboards all over Gauteng......

Discovery, who funds it through the Vitality premiums, med aid savings and higher client retention figures they get as a result of the "hook" that they provide. Not to mention the data sharing agreement with Apple themselves, which means that they're probably getting a significant discount on the actual cost of the devices themselves. You buy watch, Disco pays apple, disco gets rebate / cost sharing agreement from apple. 

If you're saying that they're trying to make it more difficult cos they can't afford the cost of the smoothies, watch payments and and and - they you have NO idea as to the level of cost savings that increased physical activity and more health awareness have on their bottom line. It dwarfs a paltry 2 smoothies, gym membership discount and watch payment/

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Take it to Apple. If it's not reading reliably, there may be an issue. 

Every single one of them ?

It reads heart rate from a tub of Vaseline.....an apple.....a desk........maybe it's just not a good heart monitor to begin with.....

A few puzzling questions.....if Discovery want nothing to do with it.....why did they get involved in the first place.....

If you reach all your goals after 24 months.....who is out of pocket....