Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Help guys.

How do I force garmin connect to sync to discovery. Last sync was at 20:12 last night. But I got in a 30+ min vigorous run after that was synced to garmin connect at about 21:30.

I am fasting so getting in my normal 2 hour+ rides is difficult.

My target is 1000 points. I am on 600 for the week. The vigorous 30+ min run should give me another 300 pts. Will fill in a gym swipe to make up the last 100 pts.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Help guys.

How do I force garmin connect to sync to discovery. Last sync was at 20:12 last night. But I got in a 30+ min vigorous run after that was synced to garmin connect at about 21:30.

I am fasting so getting in my normal 2 hour+ rides is difficult.

My target is 1000 points. I am on 600 for the week. The vigorous 30+ min run should give me another 300 pts. Will fill in a gym swipe to make up the last 100 pts.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

You could try and delete your garmin account on disco and then relink it, but otherwise it will sync tonight again, i have noticed before they dont just run the sync every evening sometimes during the day as well.

If they increase THAT requirement, I will be in die moer in

Thats what concerns me. If they do more analysis and realize how much more coffee and apple watch money they can "save" what will keep them from moving it to 2k or even 3k?

Its disco and as they have showed in the past they dont care what they said yesterday it they want to move goal posts they will.

Thats what concerns me. If they do more analysis and realize how much more coffee and apple watch money they can "save" what will keep them from moving it to 2k or even 3k?

Its disco and as they have showed in the past they dont care what they said yesterday it they want to move goal posts they will.

Again. The coffee and apple watch money are peanuts to them. That was not the driving force behind the changes. But then that it of disinformation has been repeated so much by so many uninformed people that it's now "the reason" they do anything.

Their plan has nothing to do with watches.....smoothies and coffee.......their whole aim is to render you uninsurable................

Probably been done to death but this thread seems to grow at an exponential rate. If I downloaded HRM data last night (Thursday 23) will it reflect by midnight today (Friday 24)?

And if it doesn't does it mean I miss this week's target?

Ta.

Probably been done to death but this thread seems to grow at an exponential rate. If I downloaded HRM data last night (Thursday 23) will it reflect by midnight today (Friday 24)?

And if it doesn't does it mean I miss this week's target?

Ta.

You have until Tuesday evening for it to upload. SHOULD reflect by tonight though. 

Again. The coffee and apple watch money are peanuts to them. That was not the driving force behind the changes. But then that it of disinformation has been repeated so much by so many uninformed people that it's now "the reason" they do anything.

Sorry if i am disinformed.

Sorry if i am disinformed.

Hehe... No worries, Lerouc. It's been repeated so many times by increasing amounts of people that it MUST be true. 

Trust me, it's not about the smoothies. 

Hehe... No worries, Lerouc. It's been repeated so many times by increasing amounts of people that it MUST be true. 

What is it about then?

What is it about then?

The data. 

Essentially, they need the data to perform an analysis on the correlation between exercise and claims stats, with the ultimate view of reducing medical costs and life insurance figures for their "engaged" clientele. 

Also - the cost of the smoothies and coffee and watch would be largely contained by the price of Vitality itself, through cross subsidization (non performers paying for performers)

When you start factoring in the cost savings (on their side) through increased client retention, lower lapse ratios and lower claims payments (fitter people claim less) then the costs of Vitality are miniscule when compared to the savings it brings them. 

You are pretty confident that it's disinformation Miles. I am not that sure that it's not all about costs to Discovery.

The continuing increases are not about health as it is ridiculous to keep increasing targets above what a person can achieve. If a person started at a 100 points target and bought a step counter or joined a gym and was active 5 days a week thus getting to 500 points it would be reasonable to increase their target to a max of 700.

I say this as their history has shown they can only achieve 100 points a session. There is no way they can get more per session, based on history over a period of 12 weeks. Why penalise them by making them buy another device? So it is about smoothies as this person has improved by 600% in activity levels.

Either the fitness bug will bite or it won't. But it is likely in human nature to be disincentivised if your target is unachievable.  And that will backfire on Discovery.

lower claims payments (fitter people claim less) then the costs of Vitality are miniscule when compared to the savings it brings them. 

I never claimed when I was fat, lazy and drunk. And I never ended up in A&E. But being thin, fit and sober has cost them plenty. Skill levels clearly a problem.

You are pretty confident that it's disinformation Miles. I am not that sure that it's not all about costs to Discovery.

The continuing increases are not about health as it is ridiculous to keep increasing targets above what a person can achieve. If a person started at a 100 points target and bought a step counter or joined a gym and was active 5 days a week thus getting to 500 points it would be reasonable to increase their target to a max of 700.

I say this as their history has shown they can only achieve 100 points a session. There is no way they can get more per session, based on history over a period of 12 weeks. Why penalise them by making them buy another device? So it is about smoothies as this person has improved by 600% in activity levels.

Either the fitness bug will bite or it won't. But it is likely in human nature to be disincentivised if your target is unachievable.  And that will backfire on Discovery.

The smoothie is the carrot, to get them to exercise more. If they (masses) start to get more interested in their health metrics, then they will (probably) be incentivised to buy a device that allows them to track their performance more accurately, and thereby take more interest in their health and fitness. That's what the points increases are supposed to do, at least. 

That Suunto and Fitbit are now back in the mix is AWESOME. Means that the barrier to entry for those increased points is now far lower again. 

that's the thinking, at least. The strapping devices to dogs and false uploading of exercises is what forced them to change the tables. I hope that they will be changing more int eh future to allow for a more reasonable and better thought out table, and I'll continue to pres for one, even though my influence may be microscopic. 

I never claimed when I was fat, lazy and drunk. And I never ended up in A&E. But being thin, fit and sober has cost them plenty. Skill levels clearly a problem.

HAHA! I know what you mean, Rob. I can say the same.