Gauteng Road & TT Champs 2016

Ryinc

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to post a thread dedicated to "the improvement of cycling (in GP initially, but eventually in RSA)". Having one place to discuss everything will be a lot easier to sort through, as I know the same issues are discussed on just about every event page, and other threads too.

The consistency of rules being applied is complicated, as you mention but at the moment it is dependent on the mood of the commissaire on the day. I can only comment from my point of view, and the more comments received from as many people as possible, the easier it will be to discuss with the relevant people in charge. 

The white line rule is a rule from the Road Traffic Act, and road races are given permission by the provincial traffic authorities to use the roads under condition that they obey the road rules. Having traffic officials at (robot) intersections is mandatory if you want to ensure the race doesn't have to stop at red lights. Rolling road closure is also against the rules, yet seems to be allowed for some groups but not all.

Let me get technical on this white line matter. If the rule is from the Road Traffic Act, then it is only an offence to cross the white line if it is a solid white line. It is quite legal to cross a broken white line if you are over taking. So for instance, if I wish to move to the front of the bunch but the bunch size requires me to cross a broken white line to do so, then this is perfectly legal. Should part of the bunch occasional stray over a broken white line, then theoretically this is also perfectly legal. So strictly speaking crossing a solid white line is the only time that it could be considered an offence, and how much of that course on Sunday has solid white lines? Bottom line is that the Comm was out of line (white or any other colour for that matter).

Let me get technical on this white line matter. If the rule is from the Road Traffic Act, then it is only an offence to cross the white line if it is a solid white line. It is quite legal to cross a broken white line if you are over taking. So for instance, if I wish to move to the front of the bunch but the bunch size requires me to cross a broken white line to do so, then this is perfectly legal. Should part of the bunch occasional stray over a broken white line, then theoretically this is also perfectly legal. So strictly speaking crossing a solid white line is the only time that it could be considered an offence, and how much of that course on Sunday has solid white lines? Bottom line is that the Comm was out of line (white or any other colour for that matter).

Yes - technically allowed, but not safe.

Let's take any race that goes through Heidelberg (in GP), as the Head of Traffic has threatened to stop the race should cyclists be found on the wrong side of the road (white line or not). 

The rule states - that you cannot encroach on the half of the roadway to the right:

296. Vehicle to be driven on left side of roadway

(1) Any person driving a vehicle on a public road shall do so by driving on the left side of the roadway and, where such roadway is of sufficient width, in such manner as not to encroach on that half of the roadway to his or her right: Provided that such encroachment shall be permissible -

(a) where it can be done without obstructing or endangering other traffic or property which is or may be on such half and for a period and distance not longer than is necessary and prudent and provided that it is not prohibited by a road traffic sign; or

(b) in compliance with a direction of a traffic officer or a road traffic sign.

(2) The provisions of subregulation (1) shall not apply in the case of a public road which is restricted to traffic moving thereon in one direction only.

There's a whole separate point on passing - rule 298 (Passing a vehicle).

Then, UCI rules are in force for all licence holders (Vet's categories), and they refer to the rules of the road in the country you are racing in. My manager's manual is old (2010) and might have been updated since, but the rule pretty much remains the same. Keep left, pass right.

And then don't forget about the part about bicycles - single file unless you're overtaking another bicycle.

Basically, a race organiser will apply to use public roads for racing conditions. Crossing the line is vague, but also refers to the centre line of the road.

What my objective is, is to improve cycling as a sport where administrators, officials and cyclists all have input and the sport is not thrown out of balance by having one party in control. I dislike the word democracy as it's used out of context most of the time.

geraldm24 this is where things become quite bizarre if you really think about it. We were racing bicycles on busy narrow public roads, some that have road surfaces that are unsuitable for cars, let alone bicycles,  while still sharing these roads we are racing on with the general public, whose vehicles range from huge trucks to tractors, cars and motor bikes, and the prime concern is safety????

Imagine if you wanted to hold a 50cc motor bike and scooter championship on that circuit under those same conditions!!!

I wasn't at the event , but have been involved as both a race organizer as well as a rider .

Unless there is road closure , the white line story will always be a problem , especially when the prevailing wind is from the riders left .

Not merging age groups can minimize this as obviously the bunches would be smaller .

Gerald , I rode your race a couple of weeks back and all I can say is that with your commitment , dedication and PASSION , I vote you should be CSA CHAIRMAN .

Well done and keep up the good work .

You are fighting on behalf of all the cyclist in Gauteng and are to be commended for your effort .... Well done again .

Gerald , I rode your race a couple of weeks back and all I can say is that with your commitment , dedication and PASSION , I vote you should be CSA CHAIRMAN .

Well done and keep up the good work .

In all honesty, don't want to do that job.

You are fighting on behalf of all the cyclist in Gauteng and are to be commended for your effort .... Well done again .

Not fighting - looking to drive change for the better. And I can't do it on my own.

My word, not wanting to take anything away from anybody (winners), but not a lot of participants :-(

Such a pity!!

There where a lot more than what's there. They only put the top few names from each group.

There where a lot more than what's there. They only put the top few names from each group.

Yup, there were a lot more, at quick glance there are 4 names I can see

whoop whoop, i made the list  :clap:

Yup. Many more riders than listed. What I noted on strava fly-by was many simply stopped when they got to the start once dropped.

Gerald. Thanks for all your efforts.

Results are a bit odd. Says the elite ladies did 110km in 01:14. Now that is seriously hooking it.

Not sure if it was the elite age group but one of the ladies group had only 3 girls rock up so they shortened it to 2 laps. A friend of mine was 1 of them, she is under 23 though so not sure if they joined like the men are. I'm also not sure how far she was meant to go.

That time looks like a 2 lap time. We where doing a lap in 31 to 33 min.

Archived