The good news thread

shova1

My little bit of positivity for the day, a remarkable human and a wonderful musician.......

Fools do nothing when they think the can do little. Canadian musician and song writer, Sarah McLachlan may not have done much to ease the sufferings, injustices and hunger in this world, but she did something, she did what she can. A successful musician, she could have spent 150,000 USD to produce her music video, “World on fire” with all the glamor and glitz, but she decided to use her camera phone instead, and spent just 15 dollars and donated the rest to charity

“World on Fire” music video opens with the singer sitting on a simple chair in a barren room on an otherwise empty set. A title card comes up: “What’s wrong with this video? Well, it cost only $15.” Then the song, featuring the lyrics “The more we take, the less we become / A fortune of one that means less for some,” lists where the rest of the typical $150,000 cost of the film would have been spent (“a producer would cost $7,500”). The twist is that McLachlan’s video dollars are used not on those typical production costs but to help poverty-stricken children and women in Cambodia, Niger, Bangladesh, India, and other struggling countries. (That would-be producer’s salary instead bought “6 months of medicine for 5,000 patients” in a Nairobi health clinic.)

You can watch and listen to the video here.....

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We saw the coolest thing this morning.

Now I didn't see what the lady did to end up in the veld between the 2 roads but her little car was lying on its side. (I can only think that the morning sun..it's a bit tricky during this time if the year, it could've blinded her and she didn't see something which she the swerved for late).

But a bus had stopped on her side and a taxi on the other side ..they all jumped out and tipped the car over to help her out..it didn't take longer than 2 sec for her car to be on 4 wheels again..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We saw the coolest thing this morning.

Now I didn't see what the lady did to end up in the veld between the 2 roads but her little car was lying on its side. (I can only think that the morning sun..it's a bit tricky during this time if the year, it could've blinded her and she didn't see something which she the swerved for late).

But a bus had stopped on her side and a taxi on the other side ..they all jumped out and tipped the car over to help her out..it didn't take longer than 2 sec for her car to be on 4 wheels again..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had a taxi that was so considerate and kind on the road to me the other day. All taxi drivers definitely aren't the picture we get on social media.

https://www.goodthingsguy.com/people/from-domestic-worker-to-medical-doctor/

"Pamela Sithole, now an intern Doctor at Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, had to juggle her studies and part-time domestic work to put herself through varsity. Sithole, 25, who graduated last month with a distinction in dermatology, used her earnings to buy bare necessities such as food and clothing while studying."

How awesome is this??? Truly inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

Some *** need, don’t know where to put it though. Nanny robbed on way home and needs a new phone. I have an old iPhone 5s but think this is not a good idea if she is being targeted.

Going to sell the 5s and look for a Samsung. Mugged one road from her house, so basically by her neighbors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Dogs rule. That is all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/missingchildren/girl-3-lost-in-the-australian-bush-is-rescued-by-old-farm-dog-which-stayed-by-her-side-through-the-night/ar-AAwUtqI?li=BBxU6kX

A three-year-old girl who went missing in bushland in Australia was rescued after the family dog followed her, stayed by her side overnight and then helped searchers to find her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Little bit of good news today, the bike we had donated, fixed up was just sold on bike hub!!

This means we can buy 9-10 commuter bikes!! This community is amazing!!

Forgive me asking, but others may have the same question. What is the background to this? Sounds like a great story.

Forgive me asking, but others may have the same question. What is the background to this? Sounds like a great story.

Full story: About 2 years ago we moaned a lot on twitter and on here about how someone was selling a qheubeka bike on gumtree. found out you can buy them as a 3rd party, so decided to chip in some dosh and buy the bike and donate it to someone in need. 

Got put in touch with Kirsten Walkins a bicycle advocate who arranged for someone who needed a bike. We donated said bike to the dude who now commutes and does not pay taxi fare as much. Winning.

This was nice and we realised just how easy it was to do and how big a difference it made for the people we gave the bikes to. 

Someone at work, offered me a bike to donate, did the same as above. 

Then the morning cycle group savage rides with heard this and the chipped in and we bought and donated 2 more bikes. One in Durbanville one in Claremont, both times the people were commutting 6-10km to work and have ridden before. 

Then one of the guys in the morning group decided to donate his old 26er carbon dual sus to the cause, rather than donating that to a comutter, we sold it on the hub to raise funds to buy bikes. We can now buy 8-10 bikes, helmets, lights, locks and vests for people to commute to work.

We also have been keeping those little LED lights in our back packs and shirts when we ride early morning. If we see a dude riding to work without a light, we stop them and give them a light. 

Hopefully more people riding bikes safer :D

We have 3 people already waiting for  bikes, they had bikes stolen etc in the past month and are paying 35% of salary on taxi fare.

We also got donated 2 bikes and we then donated those to the DC... but we wont go into what happened to those bikes, its the major reason we do the handing out of bikes ourselves. (It ended up at africa burn, not swellendam)

It is nothing major but its something.

post-11806-0-90022900-1499100609_thumb.jpg

Full story: About 2 years ago we moaned a lot on twitter and on here about how someone was selling a qheubeka bike on gumtree. found out you can buy them as a 3rd party, so decided to chip in some dosh and buy the bike and donate it to someone in need. 

Got put in touch with Kirsten Walkins a bicycle advocate who arranged for someone who needed a bike. We donated said bike to the dude who now commutes and does not pay taxi fare as much. Winning.

This was nice and we realised just how easy it was to do and how big a difference it made for the people we gave the bikes to. 

Someone at work, offered me a bike to donate, did the same as above. 

Then the morning cycle group savage rides with heard this and the chipped in and we bought and donated 2 more bikes. One in Durbanville one in Claremont, both times the people were commutting 6-10km to work and have ridden before. 

Then one of the guys in the morning group decided to donate his old 26er carbon dual sus to the cause, rather than donating that to a comutter, we sold it on the hub to raise funds to buy bikes. We can now buy 8-10 bikes, helmets, lights, locks and vests for people to commute to work.

We also have been keeping those little LED lights in our back packs and shirts when we ride early morning. If we see a dude riding to work without a light, we stop them and give them a light. 

Hopefully more people riding bikes safer :D

We have 3 people already waiting for  bikes, they had bikes stolen etc in the past month and are paying 35% of salary on taxi fare.

We also got donated 2 bikes and we then donated those to the DC... but we wont go into what happened to those bikes, its the major reason we do the handing out of bikes ourselves. (It ended up at africa burn, not swellendam)

It is nothing major but its something.

Fantastic! And well done. I like the LED idea, I'm going to visit the LBS and do the same in future. I wish I had the money to keep helmets in the boot too for all the people I see commuting with exposed noggins.

Count me in for the next fundraiser. :)

• 2 weeks later...