Giant XTC 29er ..2011

Roblillie

I need some advice please...I have a fantastic Giant XTC 29er..hardtail..2012 model..

Looking to upgrade the brakes...any idea whats best...and how much ?

Anything else needs upgrading ??

Thank you

Rob

Depending were the breaks are, a little bit of spot welding here and there and you can have a lekker soft tail :thumbup: . Post photos!

Hi Rob

You don't mention budget. I run XT brakes with Ice-Tech rotors. Very very happy. The SLX brakes are a bit cheaper. It's nice to run a 180mm rotor in the front and a 160mm at the back for cross country and trail riding. If you don't have a 180mm on the front already you just need to buy an adapter with the new calipers. Have a look on CWC or EvoBikes for prices.

I have a set of Giant wheels that came off a 2012 XTC advance , if you interested , drop me a PM, comes with rotors and xt cassette 

Spelling needs a bit of an upgrade :) . ...

But the best brakes are SRAM Guide Ultimates

Do the XC guys run those?

i can understand for the bikes with longer travel but surely they are overkill on an xtc?

Robillie, there are many options.

In general, you can't go wrong with Shimano - everything from Deore to XTR. My choice would be SLX. A lot of stopping power without breaking the bank.

Have a scratch around on the local bike shop's websites and see what's on offer. 

Other options are Avid DB-5 or DB-3, Formula R1, Clarks M2, Magura MT4 (and the list goes on).

Do the XC guys run those?

i can understand for the bikes with longer travel but surely they are overkill on an xtc?

I am running a set on my Epic - not overkill at all - and I am not even a heavyweight.... :)

Granted - I am running 160mm rotors front and back with them - don't need any more.

I replaced the avids i had with SLXs but thats purely because i couldnt handle the noise anymore. And i am a big guy so i have 180s front and back.

I also replaced the wheels with the Anthem's PXCRs basically the same wheel i think they just have the dt-swiss hub instead of the giant tracker, but i might be wrong. (i wanted a second wheelset and got them for a good deal)

Shimano brakes are consistently good across the range. Pick your price level and go for it. XT gets reach and free stroke adjustment. Ice-tech rotors are great but you dont really need the finned ice tech pads. For a 29er I would suggest 180 rotors on the front, regardless of rider weight. Setup above will give reliable one finger braking.

Many will point out that the Sram/Avid brakes are rebuildable and Shimanos not.

True but the Avid rebuild kits come with new seals, bushings etc but not levers and pivots which also wear out. ( I just rebuilt some yesterday). By the time you buy all the parts to make the brakes like new, may as well buy a new set. Parts are not cheap.

Shimano easier to bleed than Avid/SRAM.

Archived