Heavy Cyclists

Butterbean

Guys, BMI is such a bad measure 

BMI is such utter twaddle.

I'm 1.89 and 99.5 kg's, making my BMI 27.85, which places me in the "Pre-Obese" category. Pre-Obese! You can go and get stuffed Mr. BMI Calculator.

But get this..... To place me smack bang in the middle of the "Normal" range, I would have to be 75 kg's!

Now, I haven't been 75 kg's since I was a lean, mean 14 year old and about an three inches or so shorter than I am now.

You can't win, really, you can't win  :(

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently pushing 110 - 111 kg's and 1.90m tall.

Somehow, I absolutely love hills :thumbup: I just feed on the thrill of accomplishment when I summit a big climb, and then the fun begins, when I hit that downhill section and smack the berms and jumps and stuff. The downfall is all the maintenance and upkeep my bike requires from all the excessive abuse it takes.

Being heavy has it's challenges. I am aiming for sub 100, but truth be told, I am still eating like a pig. I suppose I could drop some substantial weight if I discipline myself in my diet.

I want to ride 500km plus this December, mostly LSD rides. I hear this helps with weight loss as well.

Hi there.

Another one here.

1.8m and weigh 133kg. Ride my bike because I like it. I struggled initially on climbs, but the more I ride, the better I became. Weight is the same, but centimeters around the waste went away. Problem is I played prop until provincial level a long time. So I build muscle in my legs like crazy (which helps now with going uphill and flats).

But I love the downhills, to destroy all those weenies and pushing the bike to its limit.

My goal is to get to 99 (just want to be in double figures). So I am also in for the Dec competition...

I'm 1.95m and weigh 106kg . Finished Epic 14 at 104kg . I think the average rider weight was 78kg or there about . I really hoped that with all that training I will hit double digits again , but not .

I'm 1.95m and weigh 106kg . Finished Epic 14 at 104kg . I think the average rider weight was 78kg or there about . I really hoped that with all that training I will hit double digits again , but not .

BMI is such utter twaddle.

I'm 1.89 and 99.5 kg's, making my BMI 27.85, which places me in the "Pre-Obese" category. Pre-Obese! You can go and get stuffed Mr. BMI Calculator.

But get this..... To place me smack bang in the middle of the "Normal" range, I would have to be 75 kg's!

Now, I haven't been 75 kg's since I was a lean, mean 14 year old and about an three inches or so shorter than I am now.

You can't win, really, you can't win  :(

Whoever came up with this guideline is on drugs!!....never heard such rubbish :nuke:

1.9 metres and weight around 93 kilos... aye, us heavier okes battle on the bike when the uphills roll along. I have noticed that my seeding is generally determined by the flatter races I do ...those with uphills aplenty like the 94.7 don't feature...

made peace with it a long time ago...not much I can do

I used to ride on Saturdays out in the Gauteng North rides.

They had a guy there who I think played lock for Noord Transvaal. He rode an MTB (Wahl Bartman I think it possibly was).

He was big.

That guy had calves the size of my thighs. No jokes, They were like these twin hams that were strapped to his thighs. Like a huge thigh followed by these outsize calves. And he was a big guy - all in proportion. The total size was really not important - it was those calves I remember.

Anyway the guy would get dropped at the beginning of every climb. But like a tractor he would just keep the pace he was at (maybe up it a bit) and eventually he would come past the bunch and finish the climb in the lead. From back to front - he did it repeatedly. I rode with him many times and he was something to behold from behind - a bit like a bear in a circus. But man could he suffer.

To this day if I am hanging on a climb and cant close a small gap I still think of him and how much work he was doing to get that frame up the hill. 

Current weight 106 kg, need lots of work to get back my best riding weight of 98 kg a few years back.  :(

On the BMI thing. BMI was designed as a population metric, and was never meant to be an individual metric. Insurance companies jumped on this metric as a way of being able to "scientifically" overcharge their policy holders.

I am not a small person. And I try and find hills wherever possible. I choose not to do flat rides because that, to me, is not cycling. I really enjoy cycling. I have no aspirations of grandeur, I do not have the motivation or ability to even be in the top 30% of any event that I enter, but I enjoy the ride and the people riding with me.

I do sometimes dream of how wonderful it would be to have the power but with about 20kg less bodyweight, but then I remember the last time that I weighed 80km was when I was in Std 6 (grade 8), so I very much doubt that will happen.

I enjoy myself. Really, I do. Bleeding out on the longer climbs I know that I'm riding at my absolute limit, and that's perfect!

Enjoy the journey, my friends. Time is but a number but the memories of the rides are there forever.

I used to ride on Saturdays out in the Gauteng North rides.

They had a guy there who I think played lock for Noord Transvaal. He rode an MTB (Wahl Bartman I think it possibly was).

He was big.

That guy had calves the size of my thighs. No jokes, They were like these twin hams that were strapped to his thighs. Like a huge thigh followed by these outsize calves. And he was a big guy - all in proportion. The total size was really not important - it was those calves I remember.

Anyway the guy would get dropped at the beginning of every climb. But like a tractor he would just keep the pace he was at (maybe up it a bit) and eventually he would come past the bunch and finish the climb in the lead. From back to front - he did it repeatedly. I rode with him many times and he was something to behold from behind - a bit like a bear in a circus. But man could he suffer.

To this day if I am hanging on a climb and cant close a small gap I still think of him and how much work he was doing to get that frame up the hill. 

Not Bartman, he played flank for Lions (Transvaal) and Natal.