Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Slightly early for this but looking for an entry. Give me a shout if someone wants out.

Go onto the Trans website and ask them to put you on the waiting list...worth a chance.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly early for this but looking for an entry. Give me a shout if someone wants out.

Go onto the Trans website and ask them to put you on the waiting list...worth a chance.

Hi milky,

There are quite a lot of tips etc. on the 2015 thread if memory serves me right. I am doing my 7th straight this year. Velouria on here has done all of them so will also be able to give a lot of advise.

We usually plan for a 15-18 hour ride. You are welcome to send me a pm if you have any questions or need advise. I have a sort of general 'planning' mail I send to my team each year with loads of info which I can pm to you as well...if you understand Afrikaans :ph34r:

thanks for the reply, pls pm the plan, thanks

I'll ask the same question that I asked in the 36One thread, what is the terrain like I.e. Just gravel & district roads, rocky? Will I Be able to use a cyclocross bike?

I'll ask the same question that I asked in the 36One thread, what is the terrain like I.e. Just gravel & district roads, rocky? Will I Be able to use a cyclocross bike?

Big parts of it are just wide open gravel roads. But deep in the Baviaanskloof mountains the surface is comparable to the "rougher" parts of Karoo2Coast & Hell&Back to give you an idea. Also a bit of jeeptrack as well as basic singletrack next to a railway line near the end

Don't know cyclocross bikes well enough to hazard a guess but I can't imagine it being ideal for this race.

Big parts of it are just wide open gravel roads. But deep in the Baviaanskloof mountains the surface is comparable to the "rougher" parts of Karoo2Coast & Hell&Back to give you an idea. Also a bit of jeeptrack as well as basic singletrack next to a railway line near the end

Don't know cyclocross bikes well enough to hazard a guess but I can't imagine it being ideal for this race.

thanks Skubs,

IMO I didn't find K2C or THB rof, in fact calling it a road race is no exaggeration. My eventual cyclocross bike will run standard 29er Rims with narrower tires but with knobblies

thanks Skubs,

IMO I didn't find K2C or THB rof, in fact calling it a road race is no exaggeration. My eventual cyclocross bike will run standard 29er Rims with narrower tires but with knobblies

If you can do K2C and HB on a cyclocross I'm sure you'll manage the TB

But rather you than me  ^_^

Good luck!

Anybody that know of any accommodation available for the 12th August. Our accommodation plans didn't work out. We're a team of four+ support driver.

Yes. There's a bit of a rutted downhill after Bergplass 140km in but you'll be able to cope. The corrugations here and there may become annoying.

Guys, some advice please.

Is it possible to do this without the support driver.

Have a two man entry, and logistically getting a driver from Durban for the event is not so easy.

Is it possible to leave your car at the finish, get a lift to the start and then do the race

Have a two man entry, and logistically getting a driver from Durban for the event is not so easy.

Is it possible to leave your car at the finish, get a lift to the start and then do the race

It is definitely possible. We did it without a support vehicle last year.

I would advise though to arrange for your car to be brought to Jeffreys by one of the organiser's drivers if you do not have someone to drive the car from Willowmore.

Yes. Have done it twice (once 3 man, once 2 man) without support vehicles. Just pack your boxes nicely with spares and warm clothes at relevant places. 

I'm sure you'll be able to get a lift to the start. That's always a bit of logistical issue getting your car from the start to finish. Otherwise, let you other half travel with you and just drive your car to J-bay. She can shop with your ct card for the +- 10-15 hours you are riding. Some motivation to finish faster.

• 3 weeks later...

So the training program that they have on the TransBaviaans website is 23 weeks long. As it turns out there are +-23 weeks to the beginning of August. Good time to start if you're going to follow it. 

I'm thinking of giving it a try this year rather than just winging it.

Just putting it out there

Waiting to hear if our entry is confirmed and then we need to start organizing logistics and accommodation, let along laying downs some training miles...

Archived