Ironman 70.3 Durban 2016

shaper

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bucket.scribblelive.com/139/2016/6/19/7228e9c4-a867-405e-8554-05cdcbf51426_1000.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Annah WATKINSON wins the ladies race in a time of 04:35:40

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bucket.scribblelive.com/139/2016/6/19/19f8bb10-8fb4-4f26-9c7d-36614061cab6_1000.jpg

The mens final race times:

1 - Matt TRAUTMAN        03:53:35    
2 - James CUNNAMA        +00:13:10    
3 - Freddy LAMPRET        +00:15:36    
4 - Travis JOHNSTON        +00:17:31    
5 - Johannes MOLDAN        +00:21:11    
6 - Michael DAVIDSON        +00:28:32    
7 - Gerhard DE BRUIN        +00:29:37    
8 - Kent HORNER            +00:34:13    
9 - Nicolaas Pieter STERK    +00:40:01

Our top 5 ladies

1 - Annah WATKINSON    04:35:40    
2 - Parys EDWARDS    +00:03:06    
3 - Claire HORNER    +00:12:40    
4 - Lucie ZELENKOVA    +00:15:15
5 - Carlyn FISCHER    +00:27:42

Trautman take the win in under 4 hours, setting a new course record

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bucket.scribblelive.com/139/2016/6/19/8d899ce0-6514-4944-8e63-f286a0f837e8_1000.jpg

Very stoked about that, good job Matt!

Worst run of my life. Free body on my bike so could not freewheel from around 20 kays.. Did not affect the bike too much but hurt my legs not being able to stretch etc and caught up with me on the run..**** happens....

Well organised, had a blast

Tough day at the office considering no swim. Used today as an experiment and rode based on my heart rate and power output ignoring the desire to go balls to the wall or the riders that past me. Felt strong the last 15kms of the bike legs and pushed so thought would have a great run with lots left in the tank. Alas at 8kms I knew it was going to be a long run and whilst I was faster than last year, was not overly happy with the run. Perhaps was the heat as saw many cramp and heard many cramp stories.

Finished in 5.02 hrs, would have been nice to break the 5hr... it is was it is :)

On reflection and seeing the pros struggle with the rip current rather than the waves, it was a good call to cancel the swim leg.

Edited by shaper

read some posts on Twitter (wont mention the names) bitching about the swim being canceled - especially an certain Cape town tri person claiming Cape Town folk train in the cape of storms every day (I kid you not, ps: I am from the Cape)

What these titanium-men dont remember is that if even 50 swimmers from the entire field find themselves in trouble at the same time then there is serious problems to ensure everyones safety. Easy to crunch through a couple of breakers when you and four of your training buddies head out for a 1 k swim; different story with few hundred people kicking and pulling at you with bodies literally crashing into you due to waves.

I believe the organizers do not make these decisions lightly, as the entire experience is what they are ultimately trying to sell. 

So this is my story

Had they have gone ahead with the swim I would have pulled out of the race and I am a swimmer! No frikken way was I getting into that sea with 3000+ other swimmers!!

I had an awesome ride (by my standard) but man alive the legs fell off 8km into the run ???? Yoh I had a very long walk to freedom from there! Very disappointed with my overall time but I didn't put in enough time on the run training so I paid for my crime!!!

Honestly felt the whole event was a bit flat from registration, to the race brief to the vibe today. Was well organized especially considering the decisions and changes today but generally felt the event fell way short on the gees compared to EL! Dunno maybe it was just me having a hard time?

5b7ac82e5a135574d89a411d8e667de7.jpg

Saw this on Twitter, looks like the DC not a 70,3. Should have made everyone do 50 push ups to seed the bunch ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skande