Gordon's Bay to Hermanus and maybe onto Gansbaai

JKK

Good day all

I'm heading to the Cape next weekend.

Going to be staying a stone's throw from Gordon's Bay.

Is it safe to ride between Gordon's Bay and Hermanus on the R44 and R43?

Looks like it will make for awesome riding...

Otherwise, suggested road routes in the area?

Thanks!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/446380498/overview

We did it last weekend, wind was a little tough

Also if you want to read the details of this trip: 

http://teampuresavage.blogspot.co.za/2015/12/eating-wind-and-kevins-bike-eating-his.html

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GB to Rooiels/Pringle or Betty's is a regular route, probably the most scenic route in CT - holiday traffic can be problematic so early out and early back in would work.

Wind can be problem - check it out on the day as it can get quite dangerous if it is pumping.

from GB you can easily head out to Fanschoek/Wellington etc lovely. 

lots of local rides will be happening around this time - although with traffic build up, generally spend more time on the MTB than road.

PM if need any other info

I would not say the MOST scenic, some great views but the peninsula still takes the cake.

I would not say the MOST scenic, some great views but the peninsula still takes the cake.

yip the Peninsula has some great views as well!

when are you down ? im in somerset next Tuesday. I usually do the fanchoek run when im there...

From next Wednesday till New Years, a few days in Plattekloof area in between.

Let's arrange a ride!

Not a chance. ;) That cool bay road on a calm day is probably one of the best rides in the world!

From next Wednesday till New Years, a few days in Plattekloof area in between.

Let's arrange a ride!

Pm me your number and it make contact. I'm staying opposite the Lord charles

Pm me your number and it make contact. I'm staying opposite the Lord charles

Road or MTB

Tuesday and Thursday Normally a road ride leaving Lord charles robots at 5am - normally Jonkerhoek and back - roughly 2 hours

Wednesday usually an easy MTB ride around 1.30 hours leaving at 5.30

Not a chance. ;) That cool bay road on a calm day is probably one of the best rides in the world!

Compared to the views some have for the rest of the year, the view is great, but it's a there and back on coast. Peninsula you get view from boyes drive, then up military hill to red hill view, then up smits, then misty cliffs then Klap some chappies, then cruise past llandadno, bietjie camps bay, up the drive to cable car, back down glen and round the sea point promenade, 130km of non stop breath taking views, some climbs and great coffee.

Game. Set. Match. ;)

I will not gamble my life on that route, another cyclist was killed on that route a couple months/weeks ago. Can't remember. We go diving/crayfishing at rooiels and all i can say is those roads does not have a shoulder every where and if a land cruiser with his 6m full hull boat that stands out past the cruiser comes past if he does not hit you you will crap yourself.

And that road is packet with cars/motorbikes/taxis/huge busses during the silly season. And people go braai and suip at koelbaai for the day and then they drive back again.

YOU WILL BE GAMBLING with your life, but hey its your life and if you have wife and kids i hope you some death policies so that they can easily find a replacement for you in the near future. (I am saying this in general and this is not pointed at anyone directly)

Just this past weekend when we were on the road driving (bakkie) to rooiels at 5am we got a pissed drunk guy which hit it 90s model pimped out corrola against the little wall on the side where there is a huge droppoff, luckily the wall kept him up and then the front tyre blew out so 50m further he stop his car. Brakes was gone se he let it run back against the wall so that it stops and he was walking back to gordons bay.

Car in the middle of the road on a blind corner, now imagine what will a guy choose if he comes around at the allowed speed and he sees either a car which he wil hit endangering him and his family/friends or swerve to the wall hoping it will hold his weight and again endangering him or will he opt for the cyclist minding his own business law abiding and the driver knows they are save in the bakkie?

Yeah yeah i know you can break your neck getting out of bed, but alas natural selection exists and if you want be a darwin member go for it.

Compared to the views some have for the rest of the year, the view is great, but it's a there and back on coast. Peninsula you get view from boyes drive, then up military hill to red hill view, then up smits, then misty cliffs then Klap some chappies, then cruise past llandadno, bietjie camps bay, up the drive to cable car, back down glen and round the sea point promenade, 130km of non stop breath taking views, some climbs and great coffee.

Game. Set. Match. ;)

What he said.

Could not find a non bike shot from Red Hill. Sorry.

post-35786-0-58188500-1449901768_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-55307900-1449902025_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-29432900-1449902165_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-64928200-1449902244_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-53151200-1449902339_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-41359900-1449902394_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-52098000-1449902423_thumb.jpg

Game. Set. Match. ;)

BUT you have to deal with hippies from Hout Bay and wannabe elites from Camps Bay ????

I did the route from Kleinmond in my car this afternoon (yes it is useless info, but it what I saw confirmed my views) and I have cycled the route from Stellenbosch to Onrus earlier this year.

The Gordons Bay Rooiels section, Clarence Drive was OK. There is more space for cyclists on the mountain side than on the sea side, the mountain side has a wider yellow line section, so if you have a choice go Gordons Bay Kleinmond and not the other way. It still is narrow and there always is a risk when you drive in traffic, but I will do it again.

From Kleinmond along  the R 44 is a yellow line and a shoulder. The R 43 (Botriver to Hermanus also have a yellow line and shoulder and you will see many cyclists during the holidays. From the entrance to Fisherhaven there is a foot path / single track all the way to Onrus, it runs to the west of the R 43. Lekker to ride.

Then I have also done the Hermanus to Stanford section on more than one occasion. There is no shoulder and I ride on the gravel verge. Again there is a risk of harm, there always is, but your stars would have to be seriously out of line. 

If you want to do low risk rides in the Hermanus area, do the single tracks in Hemel & Aarde, get info and permits at the cycle shop at the entrance to the valley at Sandbaai. Ignore the strange attitude of the staff there. (Yes I hope the fools read this, friendliness costs nothing and might just bring more return business). But talking of risk and fools: I broke my thumb on that single track.

Guys, thanks very much for the feedback. Really appreciated!

Cannot wait to get there now!

Can I suggest that anyone who will be in the area and keen to ride between 22-31 Dec send me your number. I'll make a WhatsApp group and we can organise to meet up. Will be great to get a group together.

But only if you support the Sharks????

One of a few rides I did last year from Kleinmond to Strand and back, or single trips either way. This one was from Strand to Kleinmond on 24/12 (55km).

Kleinmond to Hermanus is 34km, so you're looking at about 178km for a round trip.
post-1372-1449934370,5754.jpg

Archived