Aaron Gwin and Specialized Part Ways - Here's Why

KingTJ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first comment is pure gold

I kinda get that the man wants what he feels he's worth and that he only has a short time to make it, but I'm not a fan of the way he's going about it.

He dropped Trek and Bell big time. Not cool how he handled that.

bwahahaha that is a classic comment straight out of a trailer park. He's obviously a big fan.

Yawn. Let me guess. He thinks he is more Specialized than the team, or building up a cult of followers is an expensive business???

I saw this post yesterday on Pinkbike and though that we would be told who he is going to but nothing. The talk is it YT,so let's see

I call Red Bull team, just need to figure out which bike.

One of the theories that has surfaced is for example a Red Bull type team. That way the team name will / can stay the same and they can chop and change bikes and kit like they want. Like they do in MX, Nascar, etc.

I wonder if this signals a change in Specialized's racing agenda?

Maybe they want to have a greater presence in the EWS and regional Enduro scenes. A completely new Enduro is probably on the cards and having top Enduro racers riding your flagship All-Mountain bike will make good marketing sense.

It could be that Specialized is pushing more of its budget in that direction and didn't want to fork out top dollar to keep Gwinn.

Maybe they want to have a greater presence in the EWS and regional Enduro scenes. A completely new Enduro is probably on the cards and having top Enduro racers riding your flagship All-Mountain bike will make good marketing sense.

It could be that Specialized is pushing more of its budget in that direction and didn't want to fork out top dollar to keep Gwinn.

Didnt want to say that....but was thinking the same.

Lots of pros and cons in going either way. If he wins and dominates, like we know he could, then being on a Spez will be good. For them of course. If not then it would have been a VERY expensive exercise.  To pay top dollar to sell some DH bikes vs a DH and Enduro team covering a wider field is the real question.

Spez, like any other brand, is surely selling more AM / Enduro bikes than DH bikes so it would sense to have a strong presence in that discipline rtaher than a VERY expensive DH racer.

Lots of pros and cons in going either way. If he wins and dominates, like we know he could, then being on a Spez will be good. For them of course. If not then it would have been a VERY expensive exercise.  To pay top dollar to sell some DH bikes vs a DH and Enduro team covering a wider field is the real question.

Spez, like any other brand, is surely selling more AM / Enduro bikes than DH bikes so it would sense to have a strong presence in that discipline rtaher than a VERY expensive DH racer.

Personally, I believe that EWS and the Enduro discipline in general has BIG "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" potential. DH is a very niche market, with a limited number of riders who buy DH bikes. Enduro makes use of AM bikes that anyone can buy and ride virtually everywhere. 

Guys and gals sit at home and watch EWS races and think to themselves that they want a Spez Enduro, Canyon Strive, etc. as it is a bike that a regular guy/gal can make good use of.

"aron is the greatest American World Cup DH racer ever - straight up." I question this statement by Specialized. I recall a very sassy and successful woman DH racer in the early 90's. Seriously punk and with as much testosterone as Gwin. Maybe her record is greater than Gwin's? The name Missy Giove comes to mind