Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

No, man, the oke with a nose like Harold Volbrecht's on the far right...

And, doesn't the Cannibal's face look like a bad PhotoShop job?

Wegelius?

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wegelius?

By his time, I think they had cars following them with tubbies! Haha!

Got this on a markdown at CNA...

As much of a read as it is a visual delight... :-)

post-1604-0-87685000-1458060326_thumb.jpg

I love his photography

I met him once or twice when I was at Rhodes, and didn't like him straight off...

But got into his books years later, and fell in love with his work!

I have had many opportunities to buy this over the years, but just never wanted to read it...

Finally bought it yesterday, and am engrossed in it. It's poignant storytelling about storytelling...

post-1604-0-38885300-1458633016_thumb.jpg 

Anyone read the Louis Zamperini story by Laura Hillenbrand called Unbroken? Got it for my wife and couldn't wait for her to finish so that I could read it. One of the best I've ever read!  

Oooo - I have just been rekindling my love of reading.

Commando - Deneys Reitz was awesome.

Gone Girl  - Gillian Flynn

Mostly though I have been going on a massive sci-fi bender. I LOVE Ian M. Banks and have recently discovered Alastair Reynolds.

Also got through all of the Game Of Thrones series but man there are A LOT of characters and a long time between story lines so found it quite hard going.

Oh and I also re-read the Millenium series, super good read.

Got the Martian (mentioned earlier) and Girl on a Train lined up for holiday reading.

You need to read the Foundation series by Asimov and then also the Gap series by Stephen R Donaldson. Check out Neal Asher too. I'm sure there are massive lists of good reads as long as my arm out there on the interweb..

You need to read the Foundation series by Asimov and then also the Gap series by Stephen R Donaldson. Check out Neal Asher too. I'm sure there are massive lists of good reads as long as my arm out there on the interweb..

yes. All of them. There are loads, but well worth the read, even considering their age. They've worn very well (the Asimov stuff)

Must read them again. 

yes. All of them. There are loads, but well worth the read, even considering their age. They've worn very well (the Asimov stuff)

Must read them again. 

You'd also like Douglas Gibson, I suspect.

You'd also like Douglas Gibson, I suspect.

Do you mean William Gibson? Douglas Gibson seems to be an editor-turned-author, dabbling in political writings. William Gibson is the author of Johnny Mnemonic, Burning Chrome & Neuromancer.

If so, definitely interested, and wondering why I haven't read him before. 

Suppose that it comes down to there being so many sci-fi writers, but finding the great ones amongst so much chaff is actually pretty difficult. 

Do you mean William Gibson? Douglas Gibson seems to be an editor-turned-author, dabbling in political writings. William Gibson is the author of Johnny Mnemonic, Burning Chrome & Neuromancer.

If so, definitely interested, and wondering why I haven't read him before. 

Suppose that it comes down to there being so many sci-fi writers, but finding the great ones amongst so much chaff is actually pretty difficult. 

Aargh. Yes. William Gibson. I'm not sure I'd want to read anything by Douglas Gibson.

if you like fantasy - I have just finished the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Really enjoyed it. 

Currently in the middle of Satori - Don Winslow. It's written as a prequel to Trevanian's Shibumi. So far, its not bad. Winslow doesn't have Trevanian's particular turn of phrase, unfortunately.

Next in line is both of Harper Lee's books, followed by Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train

Oh, and possibly Iain Banks' - The Wasp Factory. This seems to have overtones of We Need To Talk About Kevin

Edited by Flippa

if you like fantasy - I have just finished the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Really enjoyed it. 

Yeah, that was a good immersive read. There's the next one in the series, a sort of continuance, is the LiveShip series. Then the Tawny Man, and then the Dragons series. That's the timeline / original order in which they were meant to be read. Also on my re-read list. 

Currently in the middle of Satori - Don Winslow. It's written as a prequel to Trevanian's Shibumi. So far, its not bad. Winslow doesn't have Trevanian's particular turn of phrase, unfortunately.

Next in line is both of Harper Lee's books, followed by Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train

Oh, and possibly Iain Banks' - The Wasp Factory. This seems to have overtones of We Need To Talk About Kevin

I find Iain Banks a bit hit and miss. Some of his stuff is truly brilliant, and some seems as if it tries too hard and juuuust misses the mark. 

But insofar as deep sci-fi goes, he's one of the better ones. 

I find Iain Banks a bit hit and miss. Some of his stuff is truly brilliant, and some seems as if it tries too hard and juuuust misses the mark. 

But insofar as deep sci-fi goes, he's one of the better ones. 

I've tried his books before, they didn't really grab me. The Wasp Factory is a recommendation by a fellow reader, so I'll give Mr. Banks a second opportunity to shine....... :blush: