Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

http://www.timeslive.co.za/incoming/2015/08/01/olivia-book.jpg/ALTERNATES/crop_250x330/olivia+book.JPG

It_cover.jpg

http://www.sapnet.co.za/bookcovers/1/9/2/9781920289546.jpg

Strange, I used to like Stephan King but I find his recent books of poor quality, almost like he has run out of ideas.

His earlier books like "The Shining, The long walk, Christine, Cujo, Salems lot, The Mist" etc, were all much better in my opinion, he seemed to lose the plot around the time he wrote Needful things. But of course thats just my opinion, but I didnt really enjoy "IT" 

For me his two best books were "The Stand" and "The long walk" Classics both of them.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the secret race and the climb this holiday, both great books, different perspectives.

Viva froome :)

I am not a fan of the serious die hard bicycle racing type books, but if you feel like a chuckle read Tim Moore's (he of French Revolutions fame)  "Giro Nimo". The book follows in a similar vein to French Revolutions in that he gets into period gear, including a wooden bicycle with only 2 gears, and rides the 1914 Giro route.

The 1914 Giro was considered the toughest and hardest Giro ever and of the 81 riders who started, only 8 finished, the second place going to a rider a full 2 hours behind the winner.

In those days stages starting at midnight and running over 400 kms were common, and often the riders lost their support staff along the way so it was really a case of man alone against the elements and teams were almost non existent.

Anyway, Tim rides the route on his own and recounts his experiences along with a history of the actual race, dont expect any insightful bits of racing info, its more a one, slightly plump, middle aged mans experience of riding the route in 2012 as opposed to 1914 and a travel dialog of the interesting folk and places he sees along the way.

I am not a fan of the serious die hard bicycle racing type books, but if you feel like a chuckle read Tim Moore's (he of French Revolutions fame)  "Giro Nimo". The book follows in a similar vein to French Revolutions in that he gets into period gear, including a wooden bicycle with only 2 gears, and rides the 1914 Giro route.

The 1914 Giro was considered the toughest and hardest Giro ever and of the 81 riders who started, only 8 finished, the second place going to a rider a full 2 hours behind the winner.

In those days stages starting at midnight and running over 400 kms were common, and often the riders lost their support staff along the way so it was really a case of man alone against the elements and teams were almost non existent.

Anyway, Tim rides the route on his own and recounts his experiences along with a history of the actual race, dont expect any insightful bits of racing info, its more a one, slightly plump, middle aged mans experience of riding the route in 2012 as opposed to 1914 and a travel dialog of the interesting folk and places he sees along the way.

Also read Frost on My Mpustache and his book about doing The Pilgrim's Way on a donkey by the same author.

One for Tumbleweed

http://www.garthstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/arr_pb_600x900-198x300.jpg

Finished the book last night. Delightful read, I really enjoyed the book and this morning I gave my two labradors an extra long hug.

• 2 weeks later...

Life Sentence: A Biography of Herman Charles Bosman, Stephen Gray

Finished it last night, been at it for a few months. It's an academic work, but probably the best on Bosman ever. Recommend it to anyone that likes do delve deep.

Now to find the book written about Bosman that alleges he is the love child of Eugene Marais... 

Busy reading fast after 50...not really for a beginner...but it has some interesting information...i need to find a book for beginners cycling after 50 [emoji6]

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the holiday is long over, but I read this recently...

It's an alright read, but falls way, way short of the promise and hype. Pity really. Starts off so well. Funny, barbed, self-deprecating. But then it seems like she gets bored of telling her tale - the court case in particular is boringly handled, and leaves you to wonder about her innocence actually.

The last couple of paragraphs of the book do kinda sum up things kinda nicely though.

post-1604-0-27933600-1455271996_thumb.jpg 

Bought a copy of The Hobbit. Would've been the first book I read in a long time, but was too busy exploring the West Coast and parts of the Western Cape while we were on holiday that side of the country for a few days.

a Greater share of honour by Major Jack Greeff.

No easy day by Mark Owen.

And the following on my bedside table.

Recce by Koos Stadler, Journey without boundries by Andre Diedericks, In black and White the Jake White story.

Oooo - I have just been rekindling my love of reading.

Commando - Deneys Reitz was awesome.

Gone Girl  - Gillian Flynn

Mostly though I have been going on a massive sci-fi bender. I LOVE Ian M. Banks and have recently discovered Alastair Reynolds.

Also got through all of the Game Of Thrones series but man there are A LOT of characters and a long time between story lines so found it quite hard going.

Oh and I also re-read the Millenium series, super good read.

Got the Martian (mentioned earlier) and Girl on a Train lined up for holiday reading.

Out of interest as I was considering starting a new thread with a poll, but seems most people are on here anyway.

Which do you prefer, Kindle, table or a real book.

I know I prefer a proper book but I also have a kindle and find it great. Not so heavy on your wrist, or your face when it hits you after falling asleep. Also the convenience of carrying multiple books with no weight or space penalty. Also the Amazon store is so easy with an amazing selection of books. The company itself is brilliant, dropped my brand new paperwhite into a river in the Baviaan's, my wife phoned them and explained everything and they sent me a new one asking I just send the old one back.

I also started reading magazines on my tablet but find this a pain as you have to zoom in and around the page quite a bit.

Let me know how you find it?