Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

I'm using one of these in the bedroom. Got it last week. But still can't beat my Intel NUC in the lounge for power, function and reliability.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-ABOX-A1-Plus-Streaming-x/dp/B01LXZBD3W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488270846&sr=8-3&keywords=android+tv+box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the delivery easy? How long did it take? What was the import duty and what was the eventual total cost?

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At these prices for the Android Box and the wireless air mouse, I'd be very tempted to wait an extra few weeks.....

Just a side note, don't underestimate the convenience of a back lit keypad. At my age with the main light off and a side light on I can't see **** without the back light on ;)

The back lit keypad is a winner for sure...once I figured out how to activate it :lol:

The back lit keypad is a winner for sure...once I figured out how to activate it :lol:

Thought the light bulb on the keypad would have been a dead giveaway... :lol:  TBH I couldn't do without the back light now that I have used it  :thumbup:

Am I expecting to little ? Found a old laptop lying in the study , slapped Kodi on there , install remote on all Apple devices and am happy . 

Am I expecting to little ? Found a old laptop lying in the study , slapped Kodi on there , install remote on all Apple devices and am happy

^^ This

Was the delivery easy? How long did it take? What was the import duty and what was the eventual total cost?

Ok, maybe I was a little cheeky with the detail. Lucky I work for a multi-national have a good delivery mule system. So I got a mate to order from the U.K. He's a Amazon Prime member so delivery was free and next day to his house. He flew down the following day. At the exchange rate was R605.00 and one Starbucks coffee.

Really is a cool device but it doesn't beat a laptop etc. for horsepower. I've also noticed that many play store android apps do not work. They simply say "not compatible with this device". Not sure if that's just my system or a general issue.

As an intro for Kodi and the world it opens up I do like these android boxes. But once you hooked they run out of steam IMO.

ee926c980466f1920f816be900beb372.jpg

I use the baby brother of the Air Remote.

Brilliant device and very happy with it. Absolutely agree with the backlight. Thought it was a button for the laser pointer and when I pressed it the keys lit up and it transformed the device.

A general tech knowledge base if you ever have a similar issue. These wireless keyboard/mouse devices tend to use the 2.4Ghz frequency. The 2.4Ghz frequency has a known interference issue with USB 3 devices when you stretch the distance. Now this is not an issue on a PC where you have your keyboard/mouse on the desk right next to the PC, but for this application with a multimedia setup you typically using it from the couch. So they become intermittent. Solution is either to use a Bluetooth device but the simple fix is to use one of those old USB extension cables, just to put some distance between the USB 3 port and the Wireless dongle.

Ok, maybe I was a little cheeky with the detail. Lucky I work for a multi-national have a good delivery mule system. So I got a mate to order from the U.K. He's a Amazon Prime member so delivery was free and next day to his house. He flew down the following day. At the exchange rate was R605.00 and one Starbucks coffee.

Really is a cool device but it doesn't beat a laptop etc. for horsepower. I've also noticed that many play store android apps do not work. They simply say "not compatible with this device". Not sure if that's just my system or a general issue.

As an intro for Kodi and the world it opens up I do like these android boxes. But once you hooked they run out of steam IMO.

after everything he did for you ..... you gave the poor guy Starbucks coffee :P

I have 2 SD cards that Inuse on my RPi, if I mess one up I go back to the other one.

I noticed today that I have additional "sections" on the homepage for "radio" and "television". The latter works quite well, didn't manage to find local radio stations.

In any case, swapped SD cards as I wanted to to update OpenELEC from v6 to v7.0.1

That went OK, but a few issues I need help on:

1. Red Bull live TV was broken and it doesn't appear in my Kodi repository for a reinstall

2. TrakTV manager appears on the menu in Exodus but nothing happens when I try to move a series from collection to watch list.

3. Those new tabs don't show on the home screen.

I have auto update enabled, hopefully it is a case of repositories etc that needs to update themselves to work with the new openELEC and will sort itself out.

Other ideas of what to try? Else I will just stick the other SD card back in!

Oh and unlike the Videos and Music tabs, the Pictures tab only has add-ons and not Files, so I can't quickly browse pics on the external HDD. Suggestions for an add-on to use for this?

Maybe the install didn't go that well !!

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like there is a lot of frustration around the Android boxes. I have been running mine for close to 2 years and couldn't be happier and am happy to post my configuration. If this helps anyone, great otherwise put me on ignore.

The Nexbox A95X has great reviews and is the box I use. I started with 1G/8, moved to 2G/16 and now use 2G/8. I want the 2Gig as it is faster but don't need the 16Gig hard drive as I do not use the box as a PVR. I buy from China via amazon.com and the price initially was $30 USD but has now moved to over $50 USD so about R800 and free shipping. The boxes generally take about 3 weeks ( always less than a month ) to get to me in PE.

I have never had any problems with customs so far ( knock on wood ).

https://www.amazon.com/Etopsell-NEXBOX-Android-Amlogic-S905X/dp/B01MU3RUU6/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491406877&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=nexbox+a95x+2g+8g

When I get it I uninstall Facebook, Skype, Twitter, Vevo, Plexus, etc as I will never use these from the box and it also frees up hard drive space to improve caching. I leave 4 apps - KODI, Mobdro, Netflix and YouTube. Vevo, Plexus, etc don't work  here anyway.

My internet speed is 10mb and I hook up via ethernet where possible. My box in the bedroom is hooked up via wifi and I do see a difference with the occasional freezing although not enough to be a pain.

I watch sports with Mobdro using almost exclusively Sky 1 thru 5 and occasionally BT Sports 1 thru 3. This gets me Football ( Premier League and La Liga ), Cricket ( all games in New Zealand were shown live including Tests ) Rugby ( Super Rugby, Currie Cup and Sevens ) plus golf, tennis, F1, etc. All of this is shown live. Bundesliga and Serie A can also be watched live with German and Italian Sky, Fox and other channels.

If you go to Mobdro and then Sports, the Sky channels are the first ones up then BT Sports.

For KODI i have less than 5 add-ons. I use Exodus for movies and Pro-Sport for the 4 North American sports - NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. I have Sport Devil and ZEM but hardly use them for other sports as I get them all on Mobdro and the SKY UK channels. Every time an add-on is updated, your box gets updated. I've seen boxes with 300 add-ons. Many are never used  and/or do not work yet every time there is an update, the box takes the update. This slows the box down tremendously. You see this in the bottom left of the screen every time you power your box on. 

If I need to find anything in KODI, instead of scrolling thru the menu options I just type the title in the search function. There has been very little I have not found. I am using KODI 16 - Jarvis and have no intention to upgrade to 17 as it is a major upgrade and a lot of functions don't transfer over seamlessly. I have 3 Nexbox's and have helped about a dozen friends and have used the same configuration every time. 

There is a Backup option in KODI but I have never been able to get it to work and replicate a setup so in every case I have programmed the boxes from scratch. This takes about an hour.

Hopefully this is of use to someone.

Have any of you Riff Raff loaded Kodi on an iPad before?

Got a iPad Pro heading my way in the next few days, so hoping this will work as easily as it does on an Android device.

I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but what are the best add ons for sport? If I can get a little bit of sport to supplement the massive range of series, doccies and movies I'll be a very happy camper  :thumbup:

Very happy with this - had to wait a week or so, but it's working a charm - remotes also lekker. Don't use the air mouse much, but seldom need too

http://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/35684-mxq-pro-plus-2gb-16gb-4k-smart-tv-box-mx3-m-air-mouse-mini-wireless-keyboard-remote-control.html?search_query=MXQ+Pro+Plus+2GB+%2F+16GB+4K+Smart+TV+Box++&results=2

Edited by Andrew Steer

snip

, but what are the best add ons for sport? If I can get a little bit of sport

snip

Mobdro, virtually every TV station in the 1st world streamed live.