Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

Have a friend who also has a problem with SD on v17. I am running it without any problems on both an android box and Raspb, both running v17 and no vpn

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the advantage of keeping Kodi updated if it causes problems for some, like now with sportsdevil? I have Kodi 15.2 and OpenElec 6.03 and exodus, sportsdevil, YouTube and RamFM all work fine (the only addons I use). Am I missing out on something?

Seems like there is a lot of frustration around the Android boxes. I have been running mine for close to 2 years and couldn't be happier and am happy to post my configuration. If this helps anyone, great otherwise put me on ignore.

The Nexbox A95X has great reviews and is the box I use. I started with 1G/8, moved to 2G/16 and now use 2G/8. I want the 2Gig as it is faster but don't need the 16Gig hard drive as I do not use the box as a PVR. I buy from China via amazon.com and the price initially was $30 USD but has now moved to over $50 USD so about R800 and free shipping. The boxes generally take about 3 weeks ( always less than a month ) to get to me in PE.

I have never had any problems with customs so far ( knock on wood ).

https://www.amazon.com/Etopsell-NEXBOX-Android-Amlogic-S905X/dp/B01MU3RUU6/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491406877&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=nexbox+a95x+2g+8g

When I get it I uninstall Facebook, Skype, Twitter, Vevo, Plexus, etc as I will never use these from the box and it also frees up hard drive space to improve caching. I leave 4 apps - KODI, Mobdro, Netflix and YouTube. Vevo, Plexus, etc don't work  here anyway.

My internet speed is 10mb and I hook up via ethernet where possible. My box in the bedroom is hooked up via wifi and I do see a difference with the occasional freezing although not enough to be a pain.

I watch sports with Mobdro using almost exclusively Sky 1 thru 5 and occasionally BT Sports 1 thru 3. This gets me Football ( Premier League and La Liga ), Cricket ( all games in New Zealand were shown live including Tests ) Rugby ( Super Rugby, Currie Cup and Sevens ) plus golf, tennis, F1, etc. All of this is shown live. Bundesliga and Serie A can also be watched live with German and Italian Sky, Fox and other channels.

If you go to Mobdro and then Sports, the Sky channels are the first ones up then BT Sports.

For KODI i have less than 5 add-ons. I use Exodus for movies and Pro-Sport for the 4 North American sports - NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. I have Sport Devil and ZEM but hardly use them for other sports as I get them all on Mobdro and the SKY UK channels. Every time an add-on is updated, your box gets updated. I've seen boxes with 300 add-ons. Many are never used  and/or do not work yet every time there is an update, the box takes the update. This slows the box down tremendously. You see this in the bottom left of the screen every time you power your box on. 

If I need to find anything in KODI, instead of scrolling thru the menu options I just type the title in the search function. There has been very little I have not found. I am using KODI 16 - Jarvis and have no intention to upgrade to 17 as it is a major upgrade and a lot of functions don't transfer over seamlessly. I have 3 Nexbox's and have helped about a dozen friends and have used the same configuration every time. 

There is a Backup option in KODI but I have never been able to get it to work and replicate a setup so in every case I have programmed the boxes from scratch. This takes about an hour.

Hopefully this is of use to someone.

I've just cancelled my DSTV and have been looking for a solution. Currently running Netflix and Showmax directly off my TV, but obviously looking for something with more content.

Have you tried running the Android Supersport app at all? I have access to another DSTV account details for this. Is it even necessary?

Is it possible to get these boxes locally? Or rather just order from Amazon?

Edit: So yes I found this post helpful :)

Edited by madbradd

Kodi no longer working for me, my android media player is a few android releases behind and the new version of Kodi requires android to be updated. 

So none of the streams want to load because they are now using a new SSL version than the player can handle. 

Been a real pain trying to get the manufacturer to release an update too, so will wait to see if that happens.

What's the advantage of keeping Kodi updated if it causes problems for some, like now with sportsdevil? I have Kodi 15.2 and OpenElec 6.03 and exodus, sportsdevil, YouTube and RamFM all work fine (the only addons I use). Am I missing out on something?

it looks kiff

Kodi no longer working for me, my android media player is a few android releases behind and the new version of Kodi requires android to be updated. 

So none of the streams want to load because they are now using a new SSL version than the player can handle. 

Been a real pain trying to get the manufacturer to release an update too, so will wait to see if that happens.

have a look at the pi option

Media box pi  add a remote or get a wireless keyboard.

install Kodi

and set up to your hearts desire

I have a android box... went back to the pi... just better for me..

Hope this is the right thread:

Does anyone have the MyGica ATV-495PRO? Seems to do everything I need for under R1,500. Any reason you would say yay or nay?

http://www.firstshop.co.za/mygica-atv-495pro-cortex-a53-2-ATV495PRO-p-43383

I couldn't seem to find reviews on any of the MyGica stuff, and they seem to run a slightly older version of Android. The Nexbox which fogducker recommended is also available locally:

https://www.importitall.co.za/NEXBOX-A95X-Pro-2GB-16GB-QuadCore-Android-60-TV-Box--Amlogic-S905X-4K-H265-VP9-DualBand-245GHz-WiFi-Bluetooth--ap-B01L57X5L2.html

I recently bought a mediabox on onedayonly. The one with all apps pre installed. I canceled my home dstv subscription a year ago. And streaming ever since

However still have an active dstv subscription at a flat I rent out. Meaning I have access to the online streaming.

The mediabox has kodi, Netflix, Amazon, Supersport and dstv preinstalled. I watched the formula 1 uninterrupted yesterday. So if you know somebody with a premium dstv subscription ????

Check it out.

http://mediabox.co.za

Goes for R1500 on Takealot.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a mediabox on onedayonly. The one with all apps pre installed. I canceled my home dstv subscription a year ago. And streaming ever since

However still have an active dstv subscription at a flat I rent out. Meaning I have access to the online streaming.

The mediabox has kodi, Netflix, Amazon, Supersport and dstv preinstalled. I watched the formula 1 uninterrupted yesterday. So if you know somebody with a premium dstv subscription

Check it out.

That's not bad. And it certainly looks slick.

Also renting out an apartment with DSTV which is why we cancelled ours.

How long have you had it for?

How well does the remote work (seems to be a common complaint with these things)

That's not bad. And it certainly looks slick.

Also renting out an apartment with DSTV which is why we cancelled ours.

How long have you had it for?

How well does the remote work (seems to be a common complaint with these things)

2 weeks now. I stream the supersport channels. on TV and PC. Wife watches some normal DSTV on the app

The remote is iffy. so Im using a buetooth type with full keyboard.

The mediabox has kodi, Netflix, Amazon, Supersport and dstv preinstalled. I watched the formula 1 uninterrupted yesterday. So if you know somebody with a premium dstv subscription

Check it out.

I reckon they skating on thin ice advertising like that. There was that company that got wacked with a massive piracy fine last year for bundling kodi