First Look Friday: BH Lynx 4.8, Roam 40 wheels, and Oakley Factory Lite gloves

News bot

Is it just me that thinks those roams are super overpriced for what they are?
Reviews on them are not great.

So wait, you posted a link to your own review and expect everyone to take it as them being great.

You can pick up a set of flows on hope for R5499, so are you saying that its a good idea to buy these rather with no proven track record and narrower inner diameter for more than double the price?

My mind boggles a little.

So wait, you posted a link to your own review and expect everyone to take it as them being great.

You can pick up a set of flows on hope for R5499, so are you saying that its a good idea to buy these rather with no proven track record and narrower inner diameter for more than double the price?

This. And a 24 spoke rim at that. Nee dankie. 

What boggles the mind is that I spent 2 months on them, formed my own opinion of them, wrote as thorough a review as I could and thought I'd share it here for what it's worth, yet you choose to respond with snark.

If you read my review you'd see I had my reasons for saying what I said.

Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours.

This. And a 24 spoke rim at that. Nee dankie.

Have you ridden them Myles? Or does your extensive online research warrant such a dismissive attitude?

Pretty sure if I didn't manage to wreck them most riders will be just fine. But what do I know. Someone in the Pinkbike forums confirmed they're *** so it must be so.

Uhm... More like one I wrote.

Nico, honestly - I struggle to find any love for a wheel build that uses 24 spokes and an inner width that narrow, when you can (as rocket has said) get a flow / hope build at less than half the price, and it'll be stiffer and offer better handling characteristics. 

Yes, it may not be as light, but then this wheelset should be aimed squarely at the XC crowd. And even then, the wide lightnings offer better value, albeit with a lower engagement... 

Have you ridden them Myles? Or does your extensive online research warrant such a dismissive attitude?

Pretty sure if I didn't manage to wreck them most riders will be just fine. But what do I know. Someone in the Pinkbike forums confirmed they're *** so it must be so.

Woah. Easy, Tiger.

24 hole

21mm internal width.

Those are not figures that inspire confidence in a 106kg hacker, despite what someone of your experience says. Especially at 12 grand.

Also, having experienced the difference that a wider set of wheels makes to grip and feel on the trail, in this case it DOES satisfy my requirements for dismissal. Again. Especially at that price.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

What boggles the mind is that I spent 2 months on them, formed my own opinion of them, wrote as thorough a review as I could and thought I'd share it here for what it's worth, yet you choose to respond with snark.

If you read my review you'd see I had my reasons for saying what I said.

Sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours.

Dont get me wrong, I read that review when you originally posted it and I liked it.

I would also like the wheels if they were priced slightly lower than say a set of flows.

I didnt dispute at any stage that the wheels could be quite good, I was saying the price is crazy nutsos.

Dont take it personally, Im sure you can at least agree the price it way too high.

Dont get me wrong, I read that review when you originally posted it and I liked it.

I would also like the wheels if they were priced slightly lower than say a set of flows.

I didnt dispute at any stage that the wheels could be quite good, I was saying the price is crazy nutsos.

Dont take it personally, Im sure you can at least agree the price it way too high.

Yes, must concede I figured they'd be around R8k. That price is a bit rough.