Cracked Anthem

bullet77

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry i know i have to loose weight...about another 20 + ...i dont think bikes were designed for us fat people especially not the higher end super light ones with racing wheels...i should stick to riding my donkey ( old trek ) for now.

Im big and over weight, i ride (used too untill january) a XTC with the PXCR2 wheels, i only once broke a spoke. I had a road bike for a while with mavic ksyrium elites on, didn't have a day's problem. Bought a Giant TCR with giant's road wheels on (not sure which model it was) didn't make 40kms without spokes going, every time!

My Anthem cracked too, just before the Attakwas. The crack looked exactly like yours. It held for the race courtesy of a bit of strapping to keep it in compression. It's a 2010 model 26" size XL. I'm not the original owner so no warranty for me.

I'm actually pretty surprised to see that 5 years on, Giant still hasn't fixed the problem. I love the bike but I'm now in two minds whether I'm going to get another Anthem.

If anybody knows of somebody who has had their frame welded, please let me know.

Also if anybody has a 26er XL carbon anthem frame for sale, I'd be interested.

Thanks

My Anthem cracked in exactly the same place. i had it welded twice because it continued to crack. i think i went two weeks between each crack after welding it the first time. If you are going to try have it welded, make sure the guy welds bike frames regularly and knows what he is doing. eventually i got another frame, also an anthem, which held up fine until i got my new bike, a santa cruz tallboy

So... I have a 2016 Giant Anthem X 29er Medium frame. I'm 1.81 or so and have the seat post out to the limit. Do I need to be concerned?

So... I have a 2016 Giant Anthem X 29er Medium frame. I'm 1.81 or so and have the seat post out to the limit. Do I need to be concerned?

No.

Problem is supposed to be fixed in 2016 models. Being a 2016 model I would assume you are first owner. If worst case scenario happens, then you would get a warranty replacement anyway.

If not first owner ( unlikely with 2016 bike) I would suggest getting longest seatpost you can find and up the minimum insertion to 130mm.

You sure about the medium? At 1.81 I would have thought a large frame would be more suitable.

at 1.81m you should be on a Large, no question about it. The difference in seat tube height is about 5cm, and the top tube is about an inch longer, which makes a huge difference to how you will feel on the bike when you get out the saddle and into technical terrain.

If you WANT to make it fit, I'd suggest getting a 150mm Giant dropper, which at 445mm long should allow you to have enough in the frame whilst getting your seat height sorted. You'll then also have a dropper on your bike, which IMO is one of the best upgrades you can make. 

Besides what was said above about the frame size, if I have a bike, like it and plan to keep it long term, I would definitely get a longer seat post if the regular one is anywhere near the maximum mark.

Any frame with a long exposed seat post and a short bit in the seat tube, will over time put a lot more leverage and cause flexing of the seat tube / top tube joint. I like my seat post to go well beyond that joint, no matter what the markings on the seat post say. It is just more logical to me to look at the frame / seat post together rather that at a line on the seat post alone.

I often hear people say "it broke, and I don't even do jumps and rough stuff". I think the marathon type riders often put much more pressure on their saddles / seat posts because they sit down through all the little ditches, brake ruts and corrugations, while the trail riding / jumping crowd tends to stand up in the attack position when going through technical parts of the trail. Guess whose bike will suffer work hardening, metal fatigue and crack first. The ten thousand little hits rather than the 10 big hits, that's my guess.

Anyway, that's just my guess, I haven't got scientific proof for it, just in case someone wants to argue the point.

The minimum insertion marking on the seatpost is for the protection of the seatpost, not the frame. It only means the seatpost might break unless inserted at least that far in.

The requirements of the frame in terms of seatpost insertion could be entirely different.

The minimum insertion marking on the seatpost is for the protection of the seatpost, not the frame. It only means the seatpost might break unless inserted at least that far in.

The requirements of the frame in terms of seatpost insertion could be entirely different.

If the seatpost is aluminum and the frame carbon ... which would you expect to break k@k first even if past the minimum marking?

Protect your frame, seatposts are cheap and much easier to replace than a frame.

I am also 1.81 tall, and used to ride a Med Anthem. It was slightly too small, but the Large felt too big.

I had 2 frames crack and replaced under warranty. The 1st question they ask after Proof of Purchase, was your seat post sufficiently inserted into the frame?

Be sure that the seatpost is indeed sufficiently into the frame. I think the handbook says at least 80mm (seatpost may have a 100mm mark). The bottom of the seatpost must go past the top tube junction.

I'm 1.86 and I ride an XL. Lot of seatpost meat still in the frame, and a lekker short stem to make up for the longer top tube.

That being said, the Anthem has a high top tube, so stand over height might be an issue if you go one size up on the frame while you have proportionally shorter legs.

• 7 months later...

Common problem, temporary fix to get to the end of the stage !!!

post-1787-0-71299300-1475673291_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-46265200-1475673309_thumb.jpg

Edited by marshace