Review: RockShox Pike

Iwan Kemp

gooi two tokens in, then the ramp at the end will stop you from bottoming...but still have double thick creme freche in the beginning 

Or you could have bought a Mattoc Pro and turned a knob :P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gooi two tokens in, then the ramp at the end will stop you from bottoming...but still have double thick creme freche in the beginning 

its the DA version so normal tokens dont fit. Anyway, I am quite happy with the ride as it is!

its the DA version so normal tokens dont fit. Anyway, I am quite happy with the ride as it is!

oh...as you were :)

They do. You just have to drill the central hole out to 10mm, then they slide right on to the shaft. 

but then you have a ride with a manitou and life is too short for that.

Your play

No comeback to that :P

But must conclude I am loving mine like hell :D The reverse arch is also great at keeping muck off the stanchions ;)

• 6 months later...

hi

I have a set up query -  I am finding my pike to be quite "harsh" at high speeds or on terrain that resembles "sink - plaat" (if that makes sense). 

Pressure is in line  in terms of sag etc. and I have no issues on medium to larger hits, rebound is currently in the middle - should I slow it down a bit? - I am on the heavier side.

Currently running two tokens as per factory.

hi

I have a set up query -  I am finding my pike to be quite "harsh" at high speeds or on terrain that resembles "sink - plaat" (if that makes sense). 

Pressure is in line  in terms of sag etc. and I have no issues on medium to larger hits, rebound is currently in the middle - should I slow it down a bit? - I am on the heavier side.

Currently running two tokens as per factory.

when was the last time you serviced it?I found mine had to have a service as the oil in the lowers had run out (only 5ml in there) which caused it to lose all small bump sensitivity. One service and an oil change, and problem gone. 

when was the last time you serviced it?I found mine had to have a service as the oil in the lowers had run out (only 5ml in there) which caused it to lose all small bump sensitivity. One service and an oil change, and problem gone. 

It's a brand new fork.

It's a brand new fork.

get it checked out anyway - oil level may not be to spec. If it's harsh, but your pressures & sage are correct, chances are that's what the problem is. Give Droo a call at Stoke and chat to him about it. It shouldn't be harsh. 

Also - may just need to settle in a bit. But best get it checked out by someone who knows a thing or six. 

084 584 5959

Opens at 10 on Fridays, according to the info online. 

It's a brand new fork.

many new forks require services out of the box. strange but true.

If you are a heavier chap,then your air pressure could be pretty high as per sag setting recommendations (what is your sag setting btw?). The compression damping settings on the Pike (and other RS forks), relative to heavier riders, are too weak IMHO. Lower compression leaves the fork deeper in its travel just on rider mass alone.

The obvious compensation to mitigate this is more air pressure. This makes the ride very rough in general. If you run less sag, you need even more air pressure than suggested by SRAM for standard sag settings,and this compounds the harsh riding sensation.

Outside of a service, I'd recommend you drop air pressure slightly, or remove a token to make the first bit of travel a bit suppler (air ramps very quickly toward the end, so end stroke progression will still be present). Might mean a bit of a fork dive, but play around to find an agreeable compromise.

Edited by Capricorn

thanks guys - I weigh 95kg and I am running 30% sag - so pressure is quite low.

In that case I'd definitely take it in to get serviced. Even though it's brand new, as Cap pointed out, it probably needs one.

If you're running 30% sag, it should be buttery smooth in the fast stuff. 

Cadence: how much travel on that Pike?

also, what's your tyre pressure? Suspension starts where the rubber meets the road ;)

thanks guys - I weigh 95kg and I am running 30% sag - so pressure is quite low.

Are you bottoming it out on big hits?