Green Belt trail developments...

Headshot

A heads up and a query.

One of the open trails appears to have been ruined (in my opinion), or more kindly put, altered by some (possibly) SRAM sponsored trail building. There is a bus stop on Southern Cross drive which marks the start of a lovely fast DH section of the Diep River Trail.

The start ramp on the road has been completely altered with a berm formed by large boulders blocking the entire steep entry. No doubt this is to accommodate people who want to ride up the steep bit at the end. I have no idea who planned and did the work but it was demarcated by SRAM barrier tape yesterday.

It strikes me as unfortunate that the trail has been altered seemingly without any calls for input from riders or understanding that the trail is best enjoyed from the top down ( my very subjective opinion). Or did I miss it?

Trail building is great - companies that sponsor it should be applauded, but I'm not sure this is the best thing that could have been done on this trail...

Can anyone shed any light?

Think I just answered my own question... Off a TMB newsletter a few weeks ago...

he Greenbelts will open, the proposal has been passed.I went on a route recce to see where signage needs to places to make it clear for everyone where cycling is allowed and where it's not.The initial proposal was put forward,before my time at PPA and it has moved across with me.Funding for signage, media and trail building will be covered by Pedal Power. The benefits, as always, are for every cyclist to enjoy.We are aiming to have the trail open at the end of January,literally in the 31st.Shaun from Trail Troops has been asked to set aside a day or two to build an alternative access point for cyclists at the top of the Diep River Trail (top of Southern Cross Drive). This will probably turn into a fun section with a couple of berms and doubles, to encourage cyclists to rather use the new trail and let the walkers use the current one. We will probably extend the new section at the top of the Diep River Trail over the next couple of months.If TMB has some spare cash, we will chip in as 

I didn't know this was open yet? I heard about the proposal a few months back. Is the whole section of trails from the top of Southern Cross Drive (just below Rhodes drive?) down towards tokai all open?

Rode the greenbelts this morning.  Signage was going up.  I'm just grateful that there is progress and new sections are being built.  You can't please everyone all the time but to me it looks like the new berm at the top is a responsible change as it now makes people approach the entry parallel to the road rather than previously where most riders entered from across the road which could cause accidents with oncoming traffic.

I don't have a problem with intervention especially 'round safety and minimising conflict but hoping the trail keeps some of it's natural appeal. Features are great but there is a limit when you are looking for an escape.. guess this too is a personal opinion. 

Maps on the tokai fb page includes route description. + a zoomed in version split over three maps.

post-13110-0-01887300-1454682291_thumb.jpg

Edited by (Deon)

Think I just answered my own question... Off a TMB newsletter a few weeks ago...

he Greenbelts will open, the proposal has been passed.I went on a route recce to see where signage needs to places to make it clear for everyone where cycling is allowed and where it's not.The initial proposal was put forward,before my time at PPA and it has moved across with me.Funding for signage, media and trail building will be covered by Pedal Power. The benefits, as always, are for every cyclist to enjoy.We are aiming to have the trail open at the end of January,literally in the 31st.Shaun from Trail Troops has been asked to set aside a day or two to build an alternative access point for cyclists at the top of the Diep River Trail (top of Southern Cross Drive). This will probably turn into a fun section with a couple of berms and doubles, to encourage cyclists to rather use the new trail and let the walkers use the current one. We will probably extend the new section at the top of the Diep River Trail over the next couple of months.If TMB has some spare cash, we will chip in as 

That's a closed group, right? I see no info on the PPA site so I guess you have some base for concern, thanks for posting. Might be best it is shared to the general public, details are scarce.

I'm happy for no features to be added.  We can have features added to Tokai when it opens again.  The greenbelts are not just for cyclists, and I don't want us to be seen as changing the landscape there for our own benefit.

I'm happy for no features to be added.  We can have features added to Tokai when it opens again.  The greenbelts are not just for cyclists, and I don't want us to be seen as changing the landscape there for our own benefit.

Ja, some corners just need enough to seat a front wheel, not a full-on berm. I love natural and want a chance to experience the trail as it stood, now that it's open.

Edited by (Deon)

remember riding the greenbelt on a MTB with 24" wheels (1991).

Marvel Star, bought from Uncle Chris Willemse of course.

So nothing has really changed apart from the wheel size.......

Fantastic now that the Constantia Green Belt route is legally open

This city works for you!

How long will SANParks take to open the link between Cecelia Forest parking area and Constantia Neck parking area?

I rode the newly opened greenbelts this morning. Fantastic!

Just a note: Not all the greenbelts are open to cyclists, so aware of that.

Also, these are shared trails, so be mindful of other users. The walkers I passed were less than cheerful at the prospect of mtb'ers on 'their' trails. I would hate for our privilege to be revoked because of a handful of inconsiderate riders (Stravassholes).