Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

I'm still trying to locate the start or end point of this trail, I found the part of it by Peddlars, and crossing Constantia main road. 

Also, is it safe to do early morning, around sunrise, if not just before? (weekends)

Edited by bikerboy90

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to locate the start or end point of this trail, I found the part of it by Peddlars, and crossing Constantia main road. 

Also, is it safe to do early morning, around sunrise, if not just before? (weekends)

Yep, safe. I do it myself at times. Sometimes...

Start of the trail is at the top of Rhodes drive, as seen on the map on the pages previously. 

..My idea is that the preferred end game should be dedicated bike trails getting built here, side by side, there is space...

Not such a crazy idea.

Narrow densely populated single track should not be shared, it's not worth the bad image.

Deon - now you have started something !!

36km/h was e-bike !!

I does seem unrealistic for a bicycle on a multi-use shared trail, I'll give you that.

There is no place for e-bikes on trails. Next we'll have scooters and then scramblers. And then no wheels will be allowed at all.

There is no place for e-bikes on trails. Next we'll have scooters and then scramblers. And then no wheels will be allowed at all.

Just to clarify, that avg speed of 36km/hr on the greenbelt is not an e bike. 

Rode the trail this morning for the first time, nice little route on the SS. For the fist time since Tokai burnt I can do 34 km mainly off road without having to drive anywhere first.

All walkers and runners were friendly. Lots of single women and elderly couples. Having bikes on the trails can only make them safer, some of the areas are a bit isolated.

Last weekend I was a dog walker in lower tokai. I must say even though all the cyclists who passed us were very polite it is an inconvenience having bikes on that shared route. It was fairly anxiety provoking trying to get dogs on leads and my friends young kids out of the way whenever a group of bikes came passed.

Please guys stay courteous when using the trails and remember dogs and kids don't know know how to get out your way most of the time.

Having bikes on the trails can only make them safer, some of the areas are a bit isolated.

Bingo!

with so many out door places becoming less safe, the more people out there the better, whether its on horseback, foot, with your dog etc etc.

Rode the trail this morning for the first time, nice little route on the SS. For the fist time since Tokai burnt I can do 34 km mainly off road without having to drive anywhere first.

All walkers and runners were friendly. Lots of single women and elderly couples. Having bikes on the trails can only make them safer, some of the areas are a bit isolated.

Last weekend I was a dog walker in lower tokai. I must say even though all the cyclists who passed us were very polite it is an inconvenience having bikes on that shared route. It was fairly anxiety provoking trying to get dogs on leads and my friends young kids out of the way whenever a group of bikes came passed.

Please guys stay courteous when using the trails and remember dogs and kids don't know know how to get out your way most of the time.

lower Tokai is easy for me, the trail goes around the border. Walk inside and you're away from bikes.

I dunno, those bh ebikes are 90% mtb dna. They ride and handle like a mtb, but you just get some assistance. They are amazing for weaker/older riders.

BUT it does open a door to other powered bikes like you mention and is hard to draw the line.

Coming from Lower Tokai ending at Peddlars where does the trail end if I turn left past the cemetery? Thanks guys

It continues past peddlars, along Sillery Walk. Past the stables. Then it pops you out at constantia main road, and you need to take the LEFT fork on the trail over constantia main.

Then it pops you out further up. Haven't gone past there yet.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

It continues past peddlars, along Sillery Walk. Past the stables. Then it pops you out at constantia main road, and you need to take the LEFT fork on the trail over constantia main.

Then it pops you out further up. Haven't gone past there yet.

Thanks Myles

Coming from Lower Tokai ending at Peddlars where does the trail end if I turn left past the cemetery? Thanks guys

You can carry on past the horse paddocks with Peddlars on your right, down the sand road direction Constantia.

Good post, sums up my feelings.

Been riding the area as a commute and transit for years - probably illegally at times, have never considered it an area in need of berms and jumps, it was always just a mixed use zone where all courteous  users co-existed.

I do understand the necessitated change now.

I would like to see more education signage which has some sort of simple code encouraging riders to be considerate (bells), yield in certain circumstances and slow down in others. I say this because a lot of riders will now feel entitled to be in the area and act accordingly.

Something else simple the City could do is assist with the informal track along Rhodes Drive next to the tar road, all it would need it the bush cut back a bit and some signage to indicate the riders ascending and pedestrians have right of way. Perhaps small bit of leveling in areas where the line is too close to the road.

The same could be done on the ascent up Constantia Neck from the Hout Bay side.

Small things, costing very little, but would go a long way to creating a safer transit zone and commute path.

I tweeted the City re clearing the margins along Rhodes Drive - wishful thinking I know. Some additional pressure must be brought to bear.

The problem with the trail lay out is that to ride the now legal bit as a down route from the Wynberg side, you have to get to the trail head via Rhodes drive or Southern Cross.  This is where an ascent via Klaasenbosch came into my usual loop. 

I have an alternative which takes you up Wynberg Hill, under the M3 below the reservoir and up a nice big piece of barely used public open space into Bishops Court where the roads are always quiet and you may see a Ferrari or two. Its a bit of a rude warm up but does have the advantage of gaining altitude quickly. From there its easy to get to Rhodes Drive.

The same section is also great to ride down. Its so wide there are multiple lines and it would be easy to build a stunning bit of feature rich single track there. 

There are other barely utilized bits of trail all over the place that can be used to make the circuit more interesting without interfering with the local NIMBY's. 

I would like to construct a few basic trail features on the Silverhurst Green Belt - its flat but smooth and wide so a couple of safe little jumps would work very well without interfering with anybody else's enjoyment.

A few further issues spring to mind. Will the legalizing of the sections in question along with the pressure to conform lead to the notion that further trails are not needed? The reason the trails that have been legalized were opened was because people were riding them anyway.  Time will tell. My prediction is that Tokai will re-open eventually, the pressure will reduce and that further green belt tracks will not be legalized. 

I was out on the mountain bike and road bike this weekend. It struck me that group size is an issue in both situations. 8 mountain bikers kicking up a dust storm in Klaasenbosch is a far cry from a single bike every so often. Just so on the road, the large club peletons are the ones that p##s off and get in the way of motorists the most.

Edited by Headshot

lower Tokai is easy for me, the trail goes around the border. Walk inside and you're away from bikes.

Ya, thats a good option. I also walk dogs and ride bikes to Lower Tokai. The problem cyclists are again the groups and the ones who seem to think this is a bona fide training track and ride too fast. I once saw a guy ride multiple laps at pace - and this was before Tokai was burned out! This isn't a proper mountain bike venue at all - its a family recreational area and everyone needs to treat it as such.