Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

If that mate of yours was informed by a mail from our "friend" Noel, he's sorely misinformed. Despite Noel being "in the know" he actually doesn't know what's going on. 

Is that Noel from Trail and Tar?

I recall a Noel and joggers on the mtb trails in Tokai sometime last year.

We just need to stick to the rules and enjoy the ride.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that Noel from Trail and Tar?

I recall a Noel and joggers on the mtb trails in Tokai sometime last year.

We just need to stick to the rules and enjoy the ride.

That's him. 

I came across an accident Saturday afternoon on one of the blind corners - two riders down - no serious injuries. Be careful out there guys!

This is where a bell is useful.

There are a few blind corners - very silly to head into these at speed without a warning.

This is where a bell is useful.

There are a few blind corners - very silly to head into these at speed without a warning.

Especially in the Bel Ombre meadow, where the trail goes through the reeds,2 guys were going down the hill at speed and there was slow traffic coming through the reeds.

Be careful out there

Especially in the Bel Ombre meadow, where the trail goes through the reeds,2 guys were going down the hill at speed and there was slow traffic coming through the reeds.

Be careful out there

Ja, thats definitely a danger point for dogs and walkers too. . Bit of bad route planning there. Trail should simply go down the hill and across the mostly dry stream bed and up the other side to the same exit point. 

I mostly give that trail a miss - rather ride up the side of SC Drive and come down the first few sections to the tar before Rathfelder and then ride back up to Rhodes drive.

Ja, thats definitely a danger point for dogs and walkers too. . Bit of bad route planning there. Trail should simply go down the hill and across the mostly dry stream bed and up the other side to the same exit point. 

The climb is also better that way - lekka steep*

*in theory of course, it's not like I've ever ridden there or anything...  :ph34r: 

• 2 weeks later...

Trail reroute....Belle Ombre Meadow section 

In consultation with City Parks and local residents,the "Belle Ombre Meadow" section of the Greenbelts trail,has been re-routed.The 2 access points, Avenue Beauvais (high side) and Avenue Picardie (low side), have been clearly marked and you should have no problem following the new route from either side.The short descent from Avenue Beauvais, as well as the blind corners around the reed bed were an issue,as cyclists were not slowing down as expected and local residents felt the trail through the forest was "an accident waiting to happen", as one resident put it. The new route makes the trail a little bit longer, but more importantly, there are no blind corners.
The requests made by the residents were not unreasonable and in the interests of safety and good neighbourliness,the route was changed.

Speed is the primary concern of all the users. Please slow down through the Greenbelts when you see anyone ahead of you.

Rode the new section through Bel Ombre meadow...It is really nice and fast.

It is... I was going really slow cos I didn't know where to go, but now that I know - I can see the potential. 

I see there was a bit of a FB/twitter eruption about some MTBers riding Die Hel (closed trail) and having a verbal barney with some walkers in the last 24 hours Could not make much sense of it as they were tweets shared to FB. 

I see there was a bit of a FB/twitter eruption about some MTBers riding Die Hel (closed trail) and having a verbal barney with some walkers in the last 24 hours Could not make much sense of it as they were tweets shared to FB.

Screen shot?

Rode the new section through Bel Ombre meadow...It is really nice and fast.

Yes, I agree, it is a good improvement over the previous lay out. Open, easy to see oncoming traffic, safer. :thumbup:

Where is Die Hel?

Hope it's not a dof question. :blush: Oh, well, perhaps it's because I'm such a good boy that I don't know. ;)

Where is Die Hel?

Hope it's not a dof question. :blush: Oh, well, perhaps it's because I'm such a good boy that I don't know. ;)

triangle of land where southern cross drive meets Rhodes drive.

Really wild, not a long ride.

Archived