Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

My take on the opening of this trail is a bit of a mixed one. I have been riding these trails since 1994 and learned to ride there and at Tokai. They haven't changed much in the process. Bikes haven't destroyed them and nobody has killed a horse or a dog. There are NIMBY types who complained - but in the main people are courteous and often seem glad to see other trail users enjoying themselves. I have been nipped by a dog just once in all these years.

The closure of Tokai led to a dramatic increase in riders using the trails and no doubt something had to give.

My attitude remains that all the trails should have been opened for the simple reason that by concentrating bikes on one route the riding experience is diminished, trail damage is increased and the obvious rogue riding will occur either intentionally or in error.

Attention has now been focused on these trails as never before  and what were quiet informal trails are now demarcated and being used as down and up routes. The top sections of the Diep River trail are the only sections of relatively tech single track that are legal in the area but have become far less entertaining for descending as a result of their official status, due to the up traffic.

Routes where bikes were previously tolerated, or at least an easy peace existed are now very much more verboten than they were. My usual route which incorporates some pavement, tar, green belt and gravel verges is now not an option. If I break the rules, the NIMBY's and cycling policemen will excoriate me, as is already happening with others on FB.

I realise that the increased riding in the belts because of the Tokai closure led to the current situation and its a win for riders who previously had no idea about these trails. For me however, its been a two edged sword I am still trying to swallow, as it were. :-)

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is that trail between southern cross drive and constantia main road (near constantia nek) open ?

is that trail between southern cross drive and constantia main road (near constantia nek) open ?

That's called Die Hell. No its not legal.

That's called Die Hell. No its not legal.

I think he's actually talking about the Cecilia Cork Tree trail.

De Hel, thats it......pity

What is happening with the cork tree trail though?  I thought that this was one of the trails that was part of the whole greenbelt permission process?

What is happening with the cork tree trail though?  I thought that this was one of the trails that was part of the whole greenbelt permission process?

There's a separate process for that one. I saw the dates for public participation come though where it will/should be approved by end March.

It's a SANParks trail, AFAIK. So no, it's not. Wait for the EMP. Shoudl be out very soon.

My take on the opening of this trail is a bit of a mixed one. I have been riding these trails since 1994 and learned to ride there and at Tokai. They haven't changed much in the process. Bikes haven't destroyed them and nobody has killed a horse or a dog. There are NIMBY types who complained - but in the main people are courteous and often seem glad to see other trail users enjoying themselves. I have been nipped by a dog just once in all these years.

The closure of Tokai led to a dramatic increase in riders using the trails and no doubt something had to give.

My attitude remains that all the trails should have been opened for the simple reason that by concentrating bikes on one route the riding experience is diminished, trail damage is increased and the obvious rogue riding will occur either intentionally or in error.

Attention has now been focused on these trails as never before  and what were quiet informal trails are now demarcated and being used as down and up routes. The top sections of the Diep River trail are the only sections of relatively tech single track that are legal in the area but have become far less entertaining for descending as a result of their official status, due to the up traffic.

Routes where bikes were previously tolerated, or at least an easy peace existed are now very much more verboten than they were. My usual route which incorporates some pavement, tar, green belt and gravel verges is now not an option. If I break the rules, the NIMBY's and cycling policemen will excoriate me, as is already happening with others on FB.

I realise that the increased riding in the belts because of the Tokai closure led to the current situation and its a win for riders who previously had no idea about these trails. For me however, its been a two edged sword I am still trying to swallow, as it were. :-)

Good post, sums up my feelings.

Been riding the area as a commute and transit for years - probably illegally at times, have never considered it an area in need of berms and jumps, it was always just a mixed use zone where all courteous  users co-existed.

I do understand the necessitated change now.

I would like to see more education signage which has some sort of simple code encouraging riders to be considerate (bells), yield in certain circumstances and slow down in others. I say this because a lot of riders will now feel entitled to be in the area and act accordingly.

Something else simple the City could do is assist with the informal track along Rhodes Drive next to the tar road, all it would need it the bush cut back a bit and some signage to indicate the riders ascending and pedestrians have right of way. Perhaps small bit of leveling in areas where the line is too close to the road.

The same could be done on the ascent up Constantia Neck from the Hout Bay side.

Small things, costing very little, but would go a long way to creating a safer transit zone and commute path.

Good post, sums up my feelings.

Been riding the area as a commute and transit for years - probably illegally at times, have never considered it an area in need of berms and jumps, it was always just a mixed use zone where all courteous  users co-existed.

I do understand the necessitated change now.

I would like to see more education signage which has some sort of simple code encouraging riders to be considerate (bells), yield in certain circumstances and slow down in others. I say this because a lot of riders will now feel entitled to be in the area and act accordingly.

Something else simple the City could do is assist with the informal track along Rhodes Drive next to the tar road, all it would need it the bush cut back a bit and some signage to indicate the riders ascending and pedestrians have right of way. Perhaps small bit of leveling in areas where the line is too close to the road.

The same could be done on the ascent up Constantia Neck from the Hout Bay side.

Small things, costing very little, but would go a long way to creating a safer transit zone and commute path.

So, Tokai has been closed for 10 months and like a saviour to the masses, the greenbelt is opened without any lead in regarding behaviour, but done under the umbrella of ushering in shared trails.. we'll see how that goes.

Then the very obvious, STRAVA. No public strava segments.. but I guess that boat sailed.

Deon - now you have started something !!

36km/h was e-bike !!

I does seem unrealistic for a bicycle on a multi-use shared trail, I'll give you that.

I rode again this morning.

A bell is a very good idea. Seems a whole lot more pleasant than shouting 'morning' from a distance away to give warning.

I rode again this morning.

A bell is a very good idea. Seems a whole lot more pleasant than shouting 'morning' from a distance away to give warning.

I have Hope hubs, I usually just freewheel from about 10m back....

Attention has now been focused on these trails as never before and what were quiet informal trails are now demarcated and being used as down and up routes. The top sections of the Diep River trail are the only sections of relatively tech single track that are legal in the area but have become far less entertaining for descending as a result of their official status, due to the up traffic.

I suppose it is the first section of mtb trail I ever rode as a school kid on an avalanche sirocco...

I'm also conflicted, but really think we all need to play by the rules here. Just because people have been riding it for years (day and night) doesn't really make it legal.

If the trial period goes well, then the bike community have some capital to bargain with. My idea is that the preferred end game should be dedicated bike trails getting built here, side by side, there is space.

Archived