Best bike computer/gps?

Gringo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong move on the Polar!

Garmin after sale service is second to none...on three occasions they have helped me out big time. Very quick and professional.

So the Garmin broke 3 times? And you're still happy with it?

My 2 year old Garmin 510 broke the mounting tab off the back this last weekend.  Phoned NavWorld, and told no replacement parts as unit is discontinued.

But, for R1580 they will take my very used 510(unit only) and give me a new boxed 520.

The new 520 included heart rate stap/monitor, all mounting options etc.

That is almost less than you pay for a new heart rate strap.

Very easy to set up.  Ready to be used tomorrow for the first time on a bike, still haven't read the manual, easy set up.

edit: spelling

Edited by Blue Monster

All entirely my fault/accidents dude...not the device's problem.

So you break it and they give you new one or did you complete a new sale in 5 minutes?

My 2 year old Garmin 510 broke the mounting tan off the back this last weekend.  Phoned NavWorld, and told no replacement parts as unit is discontinued.

But, for R1580 they will take my very used 510(unit only) and give me a new boxed 520.

The new 520 included heart rate stap/monitor, all mounting options etc.

That is almost less than you pay for a new heart rate strap.

Very easy to set up.  Ready to be used tomorrow for the first time on a bike, still haven't read the manual, easy set up.

Makes one think, buy a broken one from someone else for next to nothing and then pay 1.8k for a new unit.

Definitely Garmin!

I have the forerunner :thumbup:  r 320 (which has been discontinued years ago) which I bought second hand. I went out for a ride, but did not clip it in properly on one occasion. It came off during the ride. I only noticed quite a bit later. Went back to find it, only to discover a 4x4 went over it. Took it to Garmin and they replaced the unit for a third of the new price. After sales service is brilliant :clap:

Nice. I keep hoping that the used 510 that I bought at a steal, will break in some or other way, so I can "trade" it in, but the damn thing just keeps on working flawlessly...

I can't tell you much about the rest of them, but as said before Garmin after sale service is great, at worst you have to pay in a fraction of the price and get a new unit.

I have the 810 edge and the blue tooth sync is such a win. 

So you break it and they give you new one or did you complete a new sale in 5 minutes?

I was there 2 weeks ago because I had a bad wipe out and stuffed up the screen on my 810 which was about 2 years old. Handed in old unit, paid R1900.00 and got a brand new 810 in the box with all the accessories.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a new GPS. Bought the Edge 25 without doing proper research, and the battery life is bad (only 6 hours), and also the turn by turn navigation is not that good. 

As by all reviews, the Edge 520 is the best GPS out there, hand down by a mile. But is is too pricey for me @R5500

The Polar M430 is nice, but no turn by turn navigation and no strava live segments. Battery life at 16hours

Bryton - From what I have read here, Bryton is a no go.

The Lezyne Super GPS - This one really caught my attention. 22 hours battery life, ANT+ plus Bluetooth sensors support, Turn by turn navigation, Strava Live segments. Plus many more. 

Anybody that can give any feedback on the Lezyne? 

Bryton  :ph34r:

lol no dude...trust me, it ain't that good I own one

I'd prefer garmin or sigma (value for money

The Lezyne Super GPS - This one really caught my attention. 22 hours battery life, ANT+ plus Bluetooth sensors support, Turn by turn navigation, Strava Live segments. Plus many more. 

Anybody that can give any feedback on the Lezyne? 

I've written a few times on here about how much I love my Lezyne Super GPS.  Battery life is actually 24hrs!  I used it in a 24hr race (running and recording the whole time) and it still had enough battery at the end of the last lap to upload the ride - just under 25hrs total time.  I also did a 22hr Everest ride the week before with it and it still had (IIRC) about 20% left.  For both of these I didn't connect a battery pack to it, just used it as is.  It's worth noting though that plugging a battery into it doesn't stop the recording or navigation as it does on some Garmins.  Great for if you're doing something long like the Munga.  It's also really nice not having to charge it all the time.  I can quite comfortably do five four hour rides and still have plenty of battery life left.

They've recently updated the firmware on them which has been a HUGE improvement.  Navigation is now MUCH better than it used to be - I find it very easy to use offroad and on road with the turn by turn prompts with street names its really pretty hard to go wrong.  

It may not have the colour touch screen display, but it has all of the information that you could possibly want.  It's easy to use, syncs to Stava automatically and data pages can be setup using your phone, so you don't have to press the correct sequence of buttons on the unit as per other devices.  

Overall I love my Lezyne.

I use one of the new bryton gps units. 

I got it because they had a awesome trade in deal on your old unit and at the time I couldn't afford the other options.

After a year using the GPS I would definitely buy one again as I cannot justify spending double for the same functionality from garmin. 

After a year using the GPS I would definitely buy one again as I cannot justify spending double for the same functionality from garmin. 

Yeah same.

Works just fine for me. I have the 330.

Edited by Duane_Bosch