To Coach or not to coach, that is the question!

There is a slight chance i might be able to get my hands on a W2W ticket. Now i am considering is it worth getting a proper coach to train with or not. How much does a coach cost? Is it better to get a proper training plan and just follow that?

Now quick history about myself, been riding actively for about 5 years now. Nothing seriously, averaging 2.5k km a year for the past 3 years (since tracking on strava). I am fat and overweight. (ongelukkig hou ek van eet en brandewyn en bier is my grootste probleem) But i am working on that and i am already a few kilos down this year.

I've done 3 K2Cs (but i struggle to finish - more dead than alive by the time i cross the finish line) done a few single day events and a couple of 2 day events, houw hoek tour/stanford tour. Usually a mid range finisher but lately the weight crept up a bit so i would say rather a last third finisher in general in events. I think my technical skills are on the lower end of okay-ish. Used to ride tokai and still can ride places like oak valley, paul cluver, a to z in grabouw. Recently paid a visit to helderberg farm and decided will sign up for year permit because there too many things i can't ride at the moment.

My goal is to finish W2W mid pack without feeling like i saw my dead grandfather waiting for me at the finish line. i want to enjoy myself.

So is it worth getting a proper coach that will give me a "custom" plan to work with and assess it and adjust along the way and also conduct some sort of skill clinics or do i just get a structured training plan (today's plan or training peeks etc) and work on my skills on my own? Keeping in mind i dont have thousands of ZARs to spend monthly.

If you're doing 2500km a year then your time in the saddle should be ok-ish.  That's an average of around 50km a week.  

More training will obviously be beneficial if you have the time.

But your main drawback is going to be the weight.  I used to be 30kgs heavier than I am now, and getting up any hill was a major mission.  The less you weigh the more power to weight you have.  I found that as I started losing the weight it became more of an incentive to keep it off.  I used to eat a lot of junk food and ate too much regular food too.  Smaller portions and cutting out the junk was key.  I still enjoy my brandy and beers though.  

Getting side tracked...

I don't think that a coach is going to really help - it's a mental change that you need to make.

Do you have a riding partner?  If so then you can use each other as motivation to go out for those rides when you really don't feel like it, or to give you the extra push to pedal to the top of that hill that looks impossible.  Doing it alone is hard.  

There are so many amazing trail networks around Somerset West!  Go and explore!  More time riding the stuff that looks dodgy will slowly help your confidence in getting over them.  Less weight also helps a lot as you're then not just bashing into everything (I'm talking from my own experience in Tokai, not as a generalization for 'big boned' guys  :ph34r: ).  I for sure got better technical skills when I lost the weight.

I've spent the last few weekends at Helderberg and love it there!  That last section of climb up to the mast is a killer.

Get out and enjoy it!  :clap:

Go see a nutritionist about a weight loss plan in combination with increasing your mileage. Being fitter and lighter , you won't know yourself and riding will be much more enjoyable.

Guest notmyname

Yeah let me pay him everything upfront...i heard he is very good!

He's remarkable. Also based but a stones throw away from you. What could possibly go wrong.

If you can bump it up to +- 2x 50 to 60kms with 700 meters of climbing  rides and one or two gym  classes you will be good.

I would rather spend the money on a sports dietician and get a proper eating plan customised to your requirements.

To finish mid pack there are enough free training plans available that can help you get there. But a customised eating plan is way more effective than any free eating plans. A skills clinic is also a good investment even if you don't think you need it.

I would rather spend the money on a sports dietician and get a proper eating plan customised to your requirements.

To finish mid pack there are enough free training plans available that can help you get there. But a customised eating plan is way more effective than any free eating plans. A skills clinic is also a good investment even if you don't think you need it.

Ja i was thinking rather get a proper diet plan. Have had one in the past but it was from a random dietitian, not a sports dietitian. At the moment i am just cutting carbs  :ph34r: but it does work for me.

Also as a side note, i have upped my training quite a bit in the past 5 weeks in prep for the argus to +- 11hours per week. Which include LT intervals and hill repeats and i can already feel an difference.

In my opinion or a structured approach saves you alot of time as training is more focussed. A coach will also motivate you to an extent as if you're paying and not following the program you're just wasting your money.

Eating will generally come in line as well - but in terms of weight loss - 80% is achieved through diet.

All i saw was Beer in your name...

I'm lucky - beer doesn't make me put on weight. I drink 2 to 3 every night and my weight is constant. Ride about the same km's as you per week.

All i saw was Beer in your name...

my earlier reply was a bit tongue in cheek. I reckon a mid pack to tail end rider doesn't need a coach. If you're pushing for top 10 or 20 then a coach is definitely going to help. 

Mid pack weekend warriors - just ride more. As in more km's, more and steeper hills.

I'm lucky - beer doesn't make me put on weight. I drink 2 to 3 every night and my weight is constant. Ride about the same km's as you per week.

I can diet all i want, if i drink 1 beer in the evening i will be heavier the next day.

my earlier reply was a bit tongue in cheek. I reckon a mid pack to tail end rider doesn't need a coach. If you're pushing for top 10 or 20 then a coach is definitely going to help. 

Mid pack weekend warriors - just ride more. As in more km's, more and steeper hills.

It looks like the general feeling is the same, rather ride more, follow a "free" exercise plan and rather focus on the diet. Found a tannie called Talia den Dulk in Stellenbosch who is a dietitian/sports nutritionist which i may pay a visit.

I once visit a sports dietician and that was the worst idea ever.

You know what to do to loose weight. Trust me (lost 18kg so far) If you first start to loose some serious weight and feel the benefits on the bike, you would want to do more and get more competitive.

I joined a cycle coach here in Pta last year and it made the worlds difference. I follow a structured training plan and get bi-weekly feedback from him regarding my HR and power levels and the plans get adjusted accordingly.

This was by far the best decision (cycling wise) I have made and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I've dreamed of doing a sub 3 CTCT when I started cycling, but never thought it would be possible. This year I know I have a very realistic chance to do it.