Anyone shopped from Bike24.com?

Cippo

one of the other german bike shops also uses a combo of DHL German Post and then SAPO once it gets here. When it gets here it comes via priority tracked delivery and you collect from PO. I had my address listed as my office, so it got delivered to my door and I paid customs there and then. Odd, cos I thought it would come to the Century City post office. But I'm not complaining.

In order to get the SA tracking number, you need to phone JHB customs. DO a search via google and you'll find the number very easily. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Useful info there Myles, thanks. I've never bothered calling customs - who would imagine anyone there would pick up?

I'll give that a try.

Useful info there Myles, thanks. I've never bothered calling customs - who would imagine anyone there would pick up?

I'll give that a try.

They're actually very helpful...

You don't only have to phone SAPO/EMS to get the local tracking number. If you use parceltrack.co.za, and choose speed services or SAPO tracking services, you can use the international number to track the packages, and the local tracking number will displayed.

The only problem is that it often takes a long time for the registration of the package within the tracking system. But it takes far longer for the package to get to you, so just keep checking every so often. It's easier and less aggravating than sitting on the phone forever when SAPO/EMS call center is in a mood to not answer/drop your call.

Also, DHL tracking works up until your package is with south african customs. That tracking service often indicates both the international and local tracking numbers.

• 2 years later...

I found this thread useful and recently ordered from

Bike24 so here is some feedback for others.

I was looking for the new Campagnolo Centaur 11 speed silver groupset as I am fixing up my 1993 Hansom Reynolds 708 and wanted a silver groupset to keep to the original look. Contacted guys locally and they told me lead time was 6 weeks so thought I would go with Bike24.

Bought the groupset as well as a Khamsin wheelset. In the end it took about 6 weeks to arrive, but it all came in 1 piece and I saved a good R2000 (after paying VAT and customs fee) compared to what I was quoted locally.

If you are not in a hurry, and with the exchange rate as it is, I would recommend using them.

They ship via SAPO, i had a order refunded lastweek as i was waiting forever, still no sign of it though apparently it was lost in transit but its covered via insurance so your money is safe.

Only issue i had is that iam refunded R250 short but thats due to foreign exchange and probably some bank fees.

Otherwise i had good service from previous orders.

I dont know why they dont offer a door to door service

Even here in Germany they are quick.  I order some bike parts the other day.  Placed the order and the next day it was delivered. Did not even have time to warm up the wife to the idea of new bike parts arriving.  Almost caused problems for me  :ph34r:

Never had a problem and received all goods within a few weeks.

Usually put it out of my mind for a month and then am surprised when I get the slip in the postbox. Almost like a birthday present when you get EXACTLY what you wanted.....

I ordered some stuff from them in October last year. Took three weeks from date of order to delivery at my local Post Office.

I can't comment on bike 24 but I have ordered from r2 bikes in Germany before and use more or less the same delivery.I also thought it was via DHL but as you say it was only DHL to SA post office and after that it was in their hands.Was extremely pissed off that I paid DHL rates and still only got the parcel 2 months later( thanks to SA post office)

I now use aramex shop and ship.Ship things to my German address and have things in my hands within a week.

How do you get around paying double VAT? As I understand it, if you ship to SA directly, the European VAT (at 19%) is deducted, and then you pay SA VAT + customs when it comes into SA. If you "ship" to a German address (bearing in mind that Germany is a landlocked country  ;)), you don't have the European VAT deducted from the price, and then you pay SA VAT + customs when it comes into SA. Or am I wrong?

How do you get around paying double VAT? As I understand it, if you ship to SA directly, the European VAT (at 19%) is deducted, and then you pay SA VAT + customs when it comes into SA. If you "ship" to a German address (bearing in mind that Germany is a landlocked country  ;)), you don't have the European VAT deducted from the price, and then you pay SA VAT + customs when it comes into SA. Or am I wrong?

Also have this question. There is a way to have the European VAT deducted if you can prove that SA is the end destination but Bike24.com weren't interested when I inquired about this with them. Would love to find a way around it as SAPO can prove extremely untrustworthy and Bike24 do not offer DHL all the way through.

No, you're right. But only on the VAT part - Germany does indeed have ports...

Also have this question. There is a way to have the European VAT deducted if you can prove that SA is the end destination but Bike24.com weren't interested when I inquired about this with them. Would love to find a way around it as SAPO can prove extremely untrustworthy and Bike24 do not offer DHL all the way through.

One can imagine the use-case for that request... it's just 'too difficult' But kudos for trying

Not 100% landlocked ;)

post-71-0-79476400-1521812661_thumb.jpg