My Cycle Lab experience

casci

Just read through 7 pages of this and wondered if it was at all necessary..

One chaps issue with a bike box turned into a hey Andrew by the way.. jeez the other writers couldnt start another thread?

The bike box issue was relevant and after reading the replies and suggestions' date=' it seems there was cause for gripe..

I own a small business ( not a LBS ) and we mostly live and die by our service.. Its not cool when people complain about my place on a public forum, any forum, without bringing the problem to my attention first.. If I dont fix the problem or display a dont care attitude, then sure, post away..

Issues like this and others are of interest, to me and others, for the future. I didnt know that Cycle Lab had nice to have boxes, but now I do..

So how to raise the issue without making it a ' this LBS is *** ', when in fact its just one very small part or just one staff member..?

If you cannot resist posting what happened, post away, but leave the name out of it, UNTIL you have had a response from the owner. AND THEN update with the response, good or bad..

Sometimes the slander/perception/generalisations on open forums, not just this one, can really hit hard for a small business.

Think a little further before you hit submit... please...

[/quote']

With this I totally agree, People run away with a thread and become emotional.  Then people start to slander and don't think that they are lining themselves up for a civil case.

Read the thread and you will see that I told the people to take it up with Andrew or Cyclelab management.  But people turn around and play judge and jury

Think before you post

My R0.10c worth

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Emotion ends up making you appear rather like an idiot, should you let it cloud the judgement. Pity so many of us resort to forums like this to complain/whinge rather than taking positive steps to resolve the issue. Well done to Andrew and Ali for following through and up

How lucky we are to have such a forum to moan and bitch ! Now a LBS out there will know what makes his customers unhappy and he can act , just like Mr Andrew has done . But hell maybe we should rather tell our friends about this and tell them not support what/who ever . Poor LBS will not know what happened , he will just notice a decline in his customers . No wait I must be stirring , lets be positive and pat each other on the back for sitting back and doing nothing about anything . smiley2.gif

hi andrew

i would like to pack my **** in a bike to east london for sa's.

please give me a price, i allready have another quote for r95.

david b

Guest colonel

GL: Where will the pink shirt go? Also in the **** or on the ****?

From personal experience and what I've read and heard I think the 'Labs biggest problem is the inexperience of some of the sales people.  This could easily have been avoided if the sales person just mentioned that the boxes are thicker, etc, etc.

Just read through 7 pages of this and wondered if it was at all necessary..

One chaps issue with a bike box turned into a hey Andrew by the way.. jeez the other writers couldnt start another thread?

The bike box issue was relevant and after reading the replies and suggestions' date=' it seems there was cause for gripe..

I own a small business ( not a LBS ) and we mostly live and die by our service.. Its not cool when people complain about my place on a public forum, any forum, without bringing the problem to my attention first.. If I dont fix the problem or display a dont care attitude, then sure, post away..

Issues like this and others are of interest, to me and others, for the future. I didnt know that Cycle Lab had nice to have boxes, but now I do..

So how to raise the issue without making it a ' this LBS is *** ', when in fact its just one very small part or just one staff member..?

If you cannot resist posting what happened, post away, but leave the name out of it, UNTIL you have had a response from the owner. AND THEN update with the response, good or bad..

Sometimes the slander/perception/generalisations on open forums, not just this one, can really hit hard for a small business.

Think a little further before you hit submit... please...
[/quote']

With this I totally agree, People run away with a thread and become emotional.  Then people start to slander and don't think that they are lining themselves up for a civil case.

Read the thread and you will see that I told the people to take it up with Andrew or Cyclelab management.  But people turn around and play judge and jury

Think before you post

My R0.10c worth

Agree, agree. The ease of posting to forums such as this great, and they fulfil a role, but think before you post.

Cyclelab is a business and like any other business survives on its revenue! I do not see any issue with Cyclelab asking R95 for a box (whether used or new). It is plain business economics!!!

Aaaargh, get with the programme, what is this "an agony aunts page?"

Whats everybody so protective about, go onto any motoring site and see how motorists trash their local service station, the manufacturer and the guy who vacuumed his car, get onto any boating site and see how boaters trash the local shop, manufacturer,engine fitter, whatever, go to a shooting club site and weep, take the time and search out some cycling blogs and then you will know whats "trashing" - this is the 21st century, step up to the plate or fall off - thats life, get used to it.!!!

The way some of you carry on one would swear you have cyclelab staff over for dinner and a social drink every friday just cos they serviced your bike well, you PAID for the service, "grow up man", who the hell gives a damn anyway, if you shop there carry on, if you dont, who cares, but lets cut all this self rightous bulls**t - its irritating!!

porky2008-05-01 06:32:35

R95 is actually quite cheap, i went to a box manufacturer in Alberton and was quoated R120.

Dont shop a lot at Cycleab as its on the other side of jhb but have never had an issue when i have.

It is cheap if you pay R120 somewhere else but expensive when you can get it for free . For R95 I can have 8 and a bit beers .

Hmmm... That's kinda expensive, in Hillbrow a **** is R50, but it comes with quite a few 'hidden' extras... Big%20smile

Hmmm... That's kinda expensive' date=' in Hillbrow a **** is R50, but it comes with quite a few 'hidden' extras... Big%20smile

[/quote']

A toast to the three D's  Drink Doos and Dagga  ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Hi All' date='

Just to put the record straight. These are specificaly designed Bigger, Sturdier boxes that are specially made (Thanks to Hadley Mcormack) for transporting your bike. The cardboard is a lot thicker and as somebody earlier said, you are able to leave your bike built (except to remove wheels) and drape a blanket around it.

[/quote']

Going to Sydney on Friday with my MTB, so I think, R95 for a better box is not bad. Phone Cycle Lab, yes, they have stock, but now it is R100. Not a problem - (inflation and all??) Get in the car, drive there. Problem however is that this "thicker" and "sturdier" box however, is anything but thicker and sturdier!. In fact, it is plain, common, standard, OMO box cardboard!. Needlessly to say, I am quite peed-off for the waste of time.

Phone Joneene at Linden Cycles. "Yes, I have some GT boxes - come and help yourself"

The GT box turns out to be what I expect - a big, sturdy, double layer box. Price - R0.00

Thank you Joneene - as usual, your service is the best in the business - no wonder your shop is so busy that one can hardly move in it!!

We paid R60 at our LBS when we needed a box to go overseas! Its just an old one that was lying around! Glad to know we can get them for free from other stores. Feel very ripped off now...Embarrassed