Early bird or night owl

Monique1992

Good afternoon everyone

So unfortunately the days are once again getting shorter as we approach autumn and I would like to know how to go about riding if my normal riding time is now night time.

I work a 12 hour day from 6:30 to 18:30 and I ride alone. I'm also female (I mention this only to provide a bit of clarification) so I used to be able to ride right after work if I could get off a bit earlier. Now even starting at 18:00 cuts my riding time because it's getting dark earlier.

Now here is my question, if I get lights, do I ride early morning or evening as I want to be responsible with my safety now that I don't have enough sunlight to keep scoundrels away!

Thanx for everyone's input!

Hi Monique.

Welcome to the hub.

I think whether you choose to ride in the mornings or evenings, I strongly suggest riding with some friends or joining a local club.  Riding alone is dangerous.  Ive done it a couple of times, once I had a bad mechanical and was left stranded and had to phone for help :(

Maybe consider doing some spinning at the gym during the week and join a club ride on the weekends?

early morning equals less traffic - and there is something special about exercising in the morning. Get lights..join a group and get out before the sparrows

edit..crikey...i see you start work at 6:30am...that doesn't leave you much leeway....you better start running in the morning to keep fit!

Edited by Stretch

I prefer the afternoon sessions, but the problem is everyone else I could possibly train with are early birds. Out the door at 4:15 to be back by 6:00 can make for a really long day, especially when the family are late night owls.

As good as what the IDT can be, the feeling of being out there riding is definitely a winner.

Those are long hours. Would also vote for early mornings, will be strange starting and ending in the dark, only happens in July for us really in Cape Town. 

Try and convince someone a 4am start is good for them and make them join you!

i prefer mornings myself.

Riding in the dark does still makes me feel a bit edgy sometimes...dunno what or why.

I think safety is less of an issue in the morning but that's relative to the fact that safety IS an issue.

Nothing beats getting home at 06h30 after a lekker ride, when the rest of the world is still sleeping,

I love the mornings.

I tend to be lazy and sometimes the day is just "too long" and then to go out and do a decent training session........eish...

Invest in decent lights.

My riding hours are 4-6 almost every day of the week in and around Pretoria.  There are a couple of groups you find on the road and if you stay away from the danger areas, you should be fine. 

I ride evenings on the trainer at home, shortish but gets the heart-rate up.

Yesterday I was dead on the couch after work at 6pm, did the trainer thing and was wide-awake past midnight. Inconvenient and not easy to balance everything.

Best lose a couple of hours off your working day, you're shaming the rest of us.

With morning rides you are less likely to encounter drunk drivers (except for the weekend)! 

+1 for cycling in a group. I'm getting nervous about cycling alone these days as well.  

With morning rides you are less likely to encounter drunk drivers (except for the weekend)! 

+1 for cycling in a group. I'm getting nervous about cycling alone these days as well.  

Depends just how early and where...often see what seem like drunk drivers on the road at 5am when I head out.

That said, I'd also go for the morning option. 

Thanx for the advice everyone! Yes 12 hours are long, I'm a hairdresser so I'm on my feet all day, morning is definitely better. I also practice yoga so that's a good evening wind down.

I actually quite enjoy riding at night. That being said though, I am very fortunate to have roads that aren't that heavy with traffic (or at least the ones I choose to ride), but every now and then it is quite refreshing to be out on the bike in the early morning.

During winter though I would rather just hop on the IDT for some intervals or something than risk being out there in the dark. And let's be honest, it gets damn cold in the winter.

I've never liked riding in the dark, there's something not right about it. For me, early mornings are best, but not if I have to work afterwards - I am (even more) useless at work after a proper training session, cannot focus and the day is too long.

With winter approaching, reckon I will be doing rollers in the week in the evenings, and try get out for a ride in the middle of the day on weekends and wherever else possible. I've not yet made it 'fit' through a single winter in NZ, just can't seem to keep the motivation up. Good on you for managing to train even with 12 hour days. That's not easy.