Klapperkop & Groenkloof Safety Update

River Rat

Update

Some good news last night two suspects were apprehended after being caught in a sting operation set up by Hi Risk Security Unit at. At around 20.00 last night an unknown number of assailants tried to rob a vehicle manned by Hi Risk personnel, in the process they smashed the window of the vehicle with a baseball bat. In the attack one of the Hi Risk officers was hit with the baseball bat and the assailants also fired shots at them. A shootout ensued and one suspect was killed and the other wounded, the rest fled on foot. The sting operation has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now and thanks to the dedication of Hi Risk personnel with the assistance of Graham de Lange we hit paydirt last night. Thankfully the Hi Risk guys are fine albeit a bit bruised.

Please note that Klapperkop is not safe after dark and we're trying to get council close the reserve to the public from 19:00 to 5:00am this could happen any day now so please plan your cycling routes and times accordingly.

Great news, thanks for the update and your efforts!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit more detail from Hi Risk's facebook page.

Hi-Risk Unit (SRU) Fort Klapperkop Operational success and shoot out.

Tuesday night 17/07/2018

HRU Strategic Response Unit (SRU) were following up information from an informant that between 5 and 10 armed suspects had entered the reserve. The information obtained from the informant was that Hi Risk Unit had in recent weeks been hampering the robbers operation and thus forced them to change their operating time to after dark. They told the informant that they would strike after the marked security vehicles had left and under the cover of darkness.

Allegedly, the gang had gained new members that were even more violent and had allegedly just been released from prison. The members moved the marked vehicles out of sight and for backup purposes and placed SRU members in the unmarked vehicles to patrol and stop off at the view points.

The SRU teams had noticed a few people, mainly couples at the various view points. These they monitored and ensured that they were safe.

Just before 20:00 they received a call to respond to viewpoint 2 as suspects were attacking a car and the occupants. The vehicles responded and found nobody at that viewpoint. However, just after they stopped a large number of suspects attacked the unmarked security vehicle with 2 SRU personnel inside.

The assailants hit the drivers window with a steel pipe or bat, hitting the driver on his bulletproof vest and arm. The shattered window also covered his face and eyes with glass. As the members exited the vehicle to engage the suspects, the perpetrators realized they were Hi Risk Unit Operators and opened fire on them. The driver returned fire, hitting two of the suspects. One suspect was fatally wounded and found in possession of a firearm. A second suspect was detained a few meters away with multiple wounds.

Within seconds back up arrived and pursued the remaining suspects into the reserve. After a few minutes members from Sunnyside SAP, Metro K9 Unit and the SAPS chopper assisted in the search.

A Hi Risk Rescue ambulance was dispatched and treated both the suspect as well as the security officer. One SRU member sustained an injury to his right arm and shoulder, and multiple cuts to his face from the shattered glass and was transported to hospital for further treatment.

These criminals have been proven over the last few months to be highly aggressive and prone to violence. Although they have been dealt a bloody nose for now, HRU once again suggests that the general public do not visit these view points after dark.

Should you have any information of attacks in the area please do not hesitate to call us.

0861 707 777

Rode into Klapperkop on Sunday afternoon, only to be met by a speeding car with four people. They were desperately shouting for help as all their phones had been stolen. One lady had a bloody face, one had been stabbed and the two guys were just beaten. 

So yes, this happened at around noon, so after dark is not the only issue.

Let's rather just stay out of there. It's not worth our lives

Stay safe guys

Skiet die gemors!!!

Ja, shoot them and leave them to bleed out....dont see why resources such as medical attention needs to be wasted on criminals. Live by the sword....die by the sword....

Ja, shoot them and leave them to bleed out....dont see why resources such as medical attention needs to be wasted on criminals. Live by the sword....die by the sword....

Predators.Animals. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Klapperkop Safety Update

Some of you may have noticed a change in personnel manning the entrance gates at Klapperkop Nature Reserve. These are security guards appointed and paid for by the Tshwane Metro Police, these guards are also tasked with patrolling the reserve to keep us safe. This is a huge win for us as it has taken us more than 4 years to get the Metro Police to accept their responsibility of making the reserve safe for all of us. The other good news is that from the 1st February 2019 the gate opening times will be aligned with those of Groenkloof Nature Reserve which are in Summer (September to April): 05:30 – 19:00 and Winter (May to August): 07:00 – 18:00. I want to thank all of you took the time to sign our Groenkloof Petition which was the start of this journey and a special thanks to Friends of Groenkloof and Klapperkop Nature Reserve, who were with me every step of the way.

Now I can go ride my bike!