Klapperkop & Groenkloof Safety Update

River Rat

Unfortunately I can confirm that another attack has taken place on Klapperkop at Viewpoint 1 (first from R21 entrance) this morning. Two cars stopped for a bit of sightseeing and they were assaulted and stabbed. I got there about 30minutes after it happened and spoke to the police who responded a call (I believe it was a cyclist that assisted them). SAPS had very little information on the details so even mine are a bit sketchy. What I can confirm is that we have had six attacks in the reserve, in three of the incidents cyclists were involved and the other three were sightseers. I have had numerous discussions with Council regarding these attacks and these have been escalated to the MMC and expecting a statement on a plan of action any moment now. In particular we need a firm commitment on the timing on the installation of the access control and the permanent patrols for the area. I'm also pushing him for immediate security patrols during peak times.

Please ignore the reports from the Record who are reporting that these incidents took place in Groenkloof reserve these reports are incorrect and the good news is that we have had no incidents in Groenkloof since May last year. This indicates that the security plan is working in Groenkloof which suggests that we should be able to sort out Klapperkop if council simply execute their plan. In the meantime don't ride in Klapperkop on your own, I will keep you informed as to any progress made in terms of addressing the issue.

Thanks for the update and clarification. I appreciate that you might not have all the details of the 6 incidents that have taken place but if more information does come to light would you mind to please post a summary here of the time of day that these attacks are taking place and if possible, where on Klapperkop the "high-risk" areas seem to be - from what I've seen, viewpoint 1 seems to be quite a hotspot, but are there any others?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update and clarification. I appreciate that you might not have all the details of the 6 incidents that have taken place but if more information does come to light would you mind to please post a summary here of the time of day that these attacks are taking place and if possible, where on Klapperkop the "high-risk" areas seem to be - from what I've seen, viewpoint 1 seems to be quite a hotspot, but are there any others?

I spoke to one of the cyclists who was attacked just before Christmas and it occurred at around midday on the off road climb from the reservoirs to the tower ( arguably the toughest climb in Pretoria). The guy was hiding on the north side of the tower and waited for him to be at his slowest before robbing him of his watch and cellphone. As for the other two cyclists I don't have details perhaps Spinnekop can share the details of their incident. It would appear that no bikes were stolen and they were uninjured.

As for the sightseers it would appear that viewpoint ! is indeed the hotspot with the first attack on a tour vehicle who collected the Doctor to the French Embassy and wanted to show them the view of the city. Unfortunately their were injuries. Regarding the last two incidents I'm afraid to say that I have sketchy details but this mornings was before 7:00am which has always been considered safe due to the amount of cyclists and runners on the road.

A public meeting has been arranged by Councillor Shaun Wilkinson, for Wednesday 11th at 18:00, at CBC old boys club George Storrar road, Groenkloof, to discuss the way forward with regards to safety in Klapperkop.

Klapperkop Safety Update

Last nights meeting revealed a number of problems have arisen preventing council from implementing the undertakings given over numerous meeting that The Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve (FGNR) and I have had with the executive of the council since our May meeting last year. The main cause of this was the implementation of the decision made prior to the August elections to move the responsibility for the reserves from the district to the Department of Environment. So while we have a solid commitment from the Regional Director to put access control in place at both entrances to the Klapperkop reserve, this change in responsibility meant that this obligation ended up with the department which has no budget available for this project.

While the councilors present tried to justify the delays based on what can only be described as an admin problem we were having none of it. To their credit they agreed to find a way of still delivering within the confines of the council regulations and to this end it was agreed that Councilor Shaun Wilkinson of ward 59 would take the responsibility for resolving this.

Today, I attended an informal meeting with the Dept, FGNR and Shaun where we discussed various interim solutions to address the crime situation in the reserve. I am pleased to announce that the Dept has committed to tasking their own employees to patrol the fence line of the reserve and effect repairs to the fence where necessary. This process has borne fruit in Groenkloof and I can see no reason as to why it won't have a positive effect in Klapperkop as well. You can expect to see these guys on the ground during the course of next week.

As for access control there are two options being explored namely the sourcing of funds from either district or elsewhere in the city's budget or a collaboration between the Dept and FGNR to put the necessary infrastructure in place. I have an undertaking from Shaun that we should have an indication of the next steps within the next couple of weeks. Previous collaborations between the Dept and FGNR in the past has led to the fencing off of Klapperkop, the removal of the wattle and the building of the trails which has effectively brought about the reserve as we know it today. Something for which the Dept and FGNR deserve all the credit with a particular mention of the Chairman of FGNR Robrecht Tryhou who once again offered to help without hesitation at today's meeting.

Further, the Executive Mayor will be doing a visit to the area tomorrow and I hope he'll commit to quad bike patrols along the R21and George Storrar Drive fence lines. There are a number of other security related initiatives that could be confirmed within the next couple of weeks which will further enhance the security within the reserve. I leave these for Shaun to elaborate on when appropriate.

It feels like the project has the right impetus and commitment but, I will be keeping close to it to make sure that the implementation doesn't slip as it did last year.

From Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve's Facebook page

Klapperkop solutions 18 Jan 2017.

Crime in Klapperkop Nature Reserve has escalated substantially and there were 8 attacks on people in the past 3 weeks.
Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve (FGNR) had in the past week, together with other community leaders, urgent meetings with CityCouncil representatives to discuss measures to make Klapperkop safer.

A combination of measures have been agreed on:
- The Council's Nature Conservation (NC) dept will provide the staff for patrols and access control.
- FGNR will provide the required R60 000 for the installation of gates, access control, etc. at the two entrances.
- NC and FGNR will provide for signage
- Improve collaboration and efficiencies with NC, Metro Police and local security companies like Hi-Risk Unit.
- NC to inspect and repair the boundary game fence on a daily basis.
- Future steps will be implemented once funds at the City Council are available: ie. strengthening of the fences and improvement of the lighting near Fountains circle.

- In the long term the upgrading of the whole Precinct is necessary. The development of a Nature and Culture precinct with a specific focus on coordinated and integrated safety, including the roads and open spaces.

Once the security improvements have been done and Klapperkop Nature Reserve is safer, FGNR and NC would like to recommence with conservation work on Klapperkop, the improvement of the MTB and hiking trails, tree tags, etc.

During the past 15 years FGNR and NC have together created Klapperkop Nature Reserve. This included the erection of the game fences, game grids, introduction of zebra, wildebeest, rooihartbeest and impala.

FGNR is totally dependent on donations for its projects to improve Klapperkop. Any size contribution is welcomed. Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve, acc no: 620 4620 4830, First National Bank, Brooklyn 251345. Ref: Klapperkop and your surname. Confirmation email (optional) to rtryhou@icon.co.za

With all the combined efforts we can make Klapperkop Nature Reserve, and eventually the whole precinct, one of the great assets of our city.

Robrecht Tryhou. Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how safe it is to ride Klapperkop alone these days? I want to go through the reserve tomorrow (Saturday) and just need to know if I should rather avoid it.

Does anyone know how safe it is to ride Klapperkop alone these days? I want to go through the reserve tomorrow (Saturday) and just need to know if I should rather avoid it.

Klapperkop is currently patrolled by Nature Conservation personnel so if you're on the road you would be safer than outside of the reserve. The trails are getting safer but until we can close off the reserve at night I am less certain of your safety. Depending on what time you intend go through the reserve it can be quite busy which makes the off road trails a bit safer, normally between 7-9 am it's a bit like Eloff street, beware of the runners.

If you want to go off road I would recommend Groenkloof as we haven't had any attacks since June last year thanks to the patrols

Klapperkop is currently patrolled by Nature Conservation personnel so if you're on the road you would be safer than outside of the reserve. The trails are getting safer but until we can close off the reserve at night I am less certain of your safety. Depending on what time you intend go through the reserve it can be quite busy which makes the off road trails a bit safer, normally between 7-9 am it's a bit like Eloff street, beware of the runners.

If you want to go off road I would recommend Groenkloof as we haven't had any attacks since June last year thanks to the patrols

Thanks River Rat appreciate the response.  Going to be on the road and would be somewhere between 7-8am - will keep a look out for the runners  :)

I have spent a lot of time on the road there lately. I have seen only one dodgy character in all that time. Lots of people around (including big groups of runners - be carefull coming down at pace). Police often around. Definitely safer than the roads. Currently I ride only Klapperkop or SBR.

PS: on the "long loop" (starting at the fountains circle) I often see some seriously dodgy guys on the R21 part of the climb.

• 1 year later...

There's unfortunately been an incident at Klapperkop last week.

A group of 4 students got attacked by 6 armed guys (everyone's apparently OK)

Admittedly the students were out there on Klapperkop at around 20:00 last Friday evening (8th June). Going there at night is probably not the wisest thing to do.

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-nuus/studente-by-fort-klapperkop-aangeval/

I still cycle through there a couple of times a week - on and off road - in the daytime of course (commuting to work). There's usually lots of people around, and even a police patrol every couple of hours.

I've noticed a group of 2-3 guys who go into the reserve just about every day just after 5PM, might be related, might not be. (I can see them disappearing into the bush by the side of the road when I go up the hill, seen them the last 6 months or so without incident)

Edited by Pofkat

• 2 weeks later...

Yea.. One of the best places to ride with an awesome view is officially now not usable.... FFS

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Some good news last night two suspects were apprehended after being caught in a sting operation set up by Hi Risk Security Unit at. At around 20.00 last night an unknown number of assailants tried to rob a vehicle manned by Hi Risk personnel, in the process they smashed the window of the vehicle with a baseball bat. In the attack one of the Hi Risk officers was hit with the baseball bat and the assailants also fired shots at them. A shootout ensued and one suspect was killed and the other wounded, the rest fled on foot. The sting operation has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now and thanks to the dedication of Hi Risk personnel with the assistance of Graham de Lange we hit paydirt last night. Thankfully the Hi Risk guys are fine albeit a bit bruised.

Please note that Klapperkop is not safe after dark and we're trying to get council close the reserve to the public from 19:00 to 5:00am this could happen any day now so please plan your cycling routes and times accordingly.

Edited by River Rat

Update

Some good news last night two suspects were apprehended after being caught in a sting operation set up by Hi Risk Security Unit at. At around 20.00 last night an unknown number of assailants tried to rob a vehicle manned by Hi Risk personnel, in the process they smashed the window of the vehicle with a baseball bat. In the attack one of the Hi Risk officers was hit with the baseball bat and the assailants also fired shots at them. A shootout ensued and one suspect was killed and the other wounded, the rest fled on foot. The sting operation has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now and thanks to the dedication of Hi Risk personnel with the assistance of Graham de Lange we hit paydirt last night. Thankfully the Hi Risk guys are fine albeit a bit bruised.

Please note that Klapperkop is not safe after dark and we're trying to get council close the reserve to the public from 19:00 to 5:00am this could happen any day now so please plan your cycling routes and times accordingly.

Good news indeed.  Reckon for the next couple of days KK will be the safest place in Pretoria.  Oaks will be scared for a short while thinking the next car is a sting operation again.

Good news indeed.  Reckon for the next couple of days KK will be the safest place in Pretoria.  Oaks will be scared for a short while thinking the next car is a sting operation again.

Don't be too sure this was the second attempt on the Hi Risk operation. Last week Friday two guys tried to rob one of the our security guys with knives but they bolted when they saw he was armed. this time they came back armed.