[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Capricorn's Photo Capricorn

Today, 21:21

Muzzarati, on 27 Jun 2016 - 5:29 PM, said:

Sucks that this event is on the same day as the Jonkershoek Enduro!!!

agreed. its poor planning, especially so if you calling out on FB for maximum entries.

I DONT QUITE UNDERSTAND WHY AN ENDURO AND A MARATHON EVENT ON THE SAME DAY WOULD BE DEEMED AS POOR PLANNING?

Not stirring, just thinking Enduro = Short/Intense vs Marathon = Long/Moderate

actually, you'd be surprised how many people can and likes to do both. 

I'm still on the fence, will probably only decide in the last week of entries. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Enduro not just d...king about downhill?

Only if you do it slowly.

Same as "racing" die burger and coming 50th. then you are just d.....king around on the downhills/uphills/no hills. 

The date for this event decided on a long time ago. WP Enduro should have chosen a different date e.g. 23 July when the only other event is the Spur schools league at Bloemendal.

Burger is a mass participation event held on the same weekend every year. I assume the enduro organisers knew that and are hoping to attract riders who don't feel like sharing singletrack with 1000's of funriders...

Burger is a mass participation event held on the same weekend every year. I assume the enduro organisers knew that and are hoping to attract riders who don't feel like sharing singletrack with 1000's of funriders...

there's a case to be made for the more daring XC rider who wants to measure his/her technical riding against DH riders. Enduro riding/racing seems to have fixed Julian Absalon's 'weakness' on the descents. I'm sure that won't be lost on fans of XC, and with WPGE and Dirtopia offering a season nicely laden with enduro events, those race snakes are sure to be interested, as long as it doesn't clash with their first-loves as it were.

The thing is, WPDH often makes calls for participation and funds. The enduro events are better attended than the DH events, and I see enduro as being a means to keep enough cash coming in to assist with funding DH events. The enduro event page even makes mention of the hope to maximise participation. Why then go head2head with a mass participation event which could appeal to the same target participant? On the face of it, it doesn't look like a good idea.

Edited by Capricorn

I did this event in '14...after spending endless bouts stuck behind people who choose to walk on ST (ST being used very loosely in this context, as I really mean grass with a single trail on a pavement, created by humans who walk, among other things) I have decided that due to the masses of people who ride this event, and the required level of (un)skilled abilities, added to the general levels of irritation by race snakes competing for 1374th place, I have decided to rather ride on the trails where I ride normally, only this time much less congested...seeing as the rest will either be doing this "race" (again, used very loosely)  or the much more interesting Enduro event at Jonkers...

I've signed up for the 60km - hope I don't die too painfully.

I promise not to walk on the singletrack unless it's gradient exceeds 18 percent up.

I promise not to walk on the singletrack unless it's gradient exceeds 18 percent up.

You'll be fine,..its so roadie focused, that you will do it quicker than the Argus road, on a fixie tandem,..by yourself. ???????????????????? Edited by Brandon78

You'll be fine,..its so roadie focused, that you will do it quicker than the Argus road, on a fixie tandem,..by yourself. ????????????????????

Says the Demon of Dorstberg... Hmm. Advice to be taken with great caution.

It's a lot of fun. Did it last year and you can do it quite fast if you go all out. 

Please don't hold my sin against me lol!

Go in peace, my son... But Mamil may hold it against you doing what is a new distance for him. I remember some steep slopes on the 60km last year.

And dragging my backside up 650m in 13k today I think it might have been Jack D who signed me up for the 60 and I may over-rule his well intentioned enthusiasm and join the 50k fun ride for intermediate riders .... As I told myself as I took the chicken run on that huge rocky drop off on the double red at Lebanon today - know thy limitations.

But then again - what's 5 hours of pain and you're only youngish once.

And dragging my backside up 650m in 13k today I think it might have been Jack D who signed me up for the 60 and I may over-rule his well intentioned enthusiasm and join the 50k fun ride for intermediate riders .... As I told myself as I took the chicken run on that huge rocky drop off on the double red at Lebanon today - know thy limitations.

Sir Mamil,...My philosophy in life (yet humble,..or NOT),.."You'll NEVER know, if you DON'T go!!!

Enjoy the single track on the 60km. But

IF you are going to change, change to the 42km. Much more challenging and fun than the 50km which is dull. Psychologically speaking. (And just so you know, Sir Mamil, Brandon78 is one of THOSE. You know, the ones who make my silly little weekly accomplishments look redundant. Listen to him at your peril. )

I am very good at ignoring advice. And I could tell already that what Brandan78 may regard as a quick funride designed for roadies may be an epic struggle of life and death for me. I have done a 60 before - I finished third last in the Paarl Bestmed race last year so I am initiated into this level of pain.

The thing is Sir B78 - I already know it's going to be excruciating, the decision is to go knowing that it's going to be hell!