[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

OK, so I *WANTED* to do the 42km, but now I am in for the 30km with my youngest son (13) while my eldest (16) is doing the 42km.

My youngest initially said that he want to do the 15 since the furthest he rode to date was 22km. I told him the 15km is the Moms with Kids fun ride, but he wasn't budging. I then made him a deal to ride the 30km with him if he is willing to push himself. He was a bit lazy in the holiday, while his older boet was crunching the pedals doing hill sprints and stuff.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - 30km trail occurs on private farms, not open for public until the event itself.

If you even ride on the jeep trail between vineyards and Tegnopark (near the Stellenbosch gholf course) then the security patrols are very quick there to get you out...

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for a trail to extend the one I'm currently riding and that looked like an ideal route.

If one starts the 42k at 9.40 that means you have 1 hour 45 mins to het to the cutoff at 22k advertised at 11.25. Can a back marker like me really ride 22k comprising the bulk of the race's 1000m of ascent at an average speed of 13k an hour? I will find that quite tough!

If one starts the 42k at 9.40 that means you have 1 hour 45 mins to het to the cutoff at 22k advertised at 11.25. Can a back marker like me really ride 22k comprising the bulk of the race's 1000m of ascent at an average speed of 13k an hour? I will find that quite tough!

That 11:25 cutoff is only for the 60km. The 42km has a 1:15pm cutoff at 12km from the finish and 2pm at the finish.

Edited by HenryS

Ah yes. My mistake. I misread the table. Reckon i can beat that 30k cutoff. Thanks HenryS

Looks like fun - hoping for a nice sunny day.

Looks like it, 23' no cloud cover or wind.

Nervously excited about Sunday. For some reason have never done one of the long distances so don't quite know what to expect...

Nice that the 75km group starts 40 minutes before the next, hopefully there would be some nice relatively open singletrack for us, when I did the 40km race few years back there was a lot of standing around queuing waiting for your turn, especially the first half of the race. 

Nervously excited about Sunday. For some reason have never done one of the long distances so don't quite know what to expect...

Nice that the 75km group starts 40 minutes before the next, hopefully there would be some nice relatively open singletrack for us, when I did the 40km race few years back there was a lot of standing around queuing waiting for your turn, especially the first half of the race. 

Doing my first 40km, also heard the same but i am going with the right relaxed attitude so i'll make small talk while waiting my turn.

Loads of rain predicted for this week - how well do these trails dry out, or handle the rain.  Or does this promise to be a mud fest galore... :eek:

Edited by The Commuter

Doing my first 40km, also heard the same but i am going with the right relaxed attitude so i'll make small talk while waiting my turn.

I agree - it is a mass participation fun ride and everybody else is also waiting so it is pointless getting yourself worked up (but there is always that one guy....)

I agree - it is a mass participation fun ride and everybody else is also waiting so it is pointless getting yourself worked up (but there is always that one guy....)

If it's still muddy by the weekend, the short bit of single track before theHelshoogte descent will be a log jam, especially for the faster 40km people. Relax... Chill... No need to stress. After that it will be OK. Last year they sorted the finish under the bridge through the river so it wasn't as bad as previous years. Just a short hike-a-bike.