High blood pressure

I am very active, run, mtb, swim, walk...i reach my discovery goal on day 1 :)

I am 35, am 186cm , weight 78, sugar and cholesterol is perfect, don't smoke..

But the last few readings my blood pressure was

151/78

148/83

139/77

157/88

Its always been in the 135/88 ish... Range

So i know my old man has high blood pressure

My q is what can i do?

Any one have a diet?

I hear donating blood once every 2 months help?

Meds is my ladt resort due to the side effects

Please help..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is in upper range of "normal" - first thing the doc said to me is eat less meat.

I'm veggie - have been for 12 odd years - so then he said it must be hereditary. 

I've managed to keep it under control without drugs. 

I also have high BP due to hereditary reasons. During the course of looking into it, I did, however, discover that I was dehydrated. I never thought of drinking until I was thirsty so now I have a bottle of water on my desk and take a swig on a regular basis. How much water (or fluid) do you drink daily?

The high blood pressure reading was from a machine and not using a cuff and stethoscope right? Those machines, oscillometry devices do not actually measure your blood pressure and instead infer it. And they can get it really wrong. They are not permitted for use in medical studies if that gives you any idea on their reliability.

When measured on a machine I have over 160 systolic yet 120 when when checked using the traditional approach. Turns out it is a well known problem, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19322203

Edited by Tristand

The high blood pressure reading was from a machine and not using a cuff and stethoscope right? Those machines, oscillometry devices do not actually measure your blood pressure and instead infer it. And they can get it really wrong. They are not permitted for use in medical studies if that gives you any idea on their reliability.

When measured on a machine I have over 160 systolic yet 120 when when checked using the traditional approach. Turns out it is a well known problem, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19322203

..And yet, on each occasion when I have been for surgery ( OTB incidents - haha) , those machines are used in the ward to take my blood pressure. Is this because it is  just easier?

..And yet, on each occasion when I have been for surgery ( OTB incidents - haha) , those machines are used in the ward to take my blood pressure. Is this because it is  just easier?

They have usually retested manually when I have had such a high reading from a machine. With the exception of a physician who insisted that her machine was properly calibrated and was accurate.

Recent increase in:

Stress? A bit

Drama? Watching allot of greys anatomy :)

Disappointments?

no , well cant have all the bike parts i want...

Mine is in upper range of "normal" - first thing the doc said to me is eat less meat.

I'm veggie - have been for 12 odd years - so then he said it must be hereditary.

I've managed to keep it under control without drugs.

How? Just no meat?

I also have high BP due to hereditary reasons. During the course of looking into it, I did, however, discover that I was dehydrated. I never thought of drinking until I was thirsty so now I have a bottle of water on my desk and take a swig on a regular basis. How much water (or fluid) do you drink daily?

Oops.... None during day, just two coffees in the morning.... Soda stream with weak passion fruit woolies mix cooldrink at night

Make sure a medical professional checks your BP. As said before, those DIY jobbies can be inaccurate.

If you are in fact diagnosed with hypertension, I see very little from your quick bio that you can do to alleviate it, other than by medication.

I'm no doctor, but there are a lot of different classes of medication that treat hypertension. Many have negligible side effects. Not saying you'll have to, just saying it's not all that bad taking meds.