Absa Cape Epic 2017 early bird entries gone in 9 seconds

News bot

There were many guys who recorded their rides on strava. Does that not count?

it most certainly does. You'll find that over teh next few days, if those rides aren't made private, they will be removed or the guys will face disqualification from any future events. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it most certainly does. You'll find that over teh next few days, if those rides aren't made private, they will be removed or the guys will face disqualification from any future events.

In reality what's the point of this, other than just creating more hype around the event?

In reality what's the point of this, other than just creating more hype around the event?

simply put, land owners don't want the epic route to be publicised via downloadable gps files, as it creates a problem. Maybe not because of people like you and me, but you get people who actively search out routes and if they see something on Strava / Garmin Connect etc etc they think it's a legitimate route, and just ride it - without checking legitimacy. "It's on the internet, it must be true"

Adding to that, someone may want to download and ride the "epic route" which would, again, be trespassing on private property, in places. 

It's exactly how we lost a couple of the farms on the Wannabees and Tygerberg trail networks. 

Point is as well - it's a rule of a race YOU want to ride. YOU signed up for the terms and conditions. You cannot then say that the t's and c's are stupid, for a reason such as this. You can query it, sure. But the rule is there most likely due to landowner requests, as a condition for them opening up their farmland to cyclists for one event each year. Thereafter, the routes are on PRIVATE land in places. This rule is there to respect their wishes, and property rights.

Don't piss on that. It's not your right to request that they drop that rule just because you think it's stupid.

EDIT: "you" referring to people who sign up and then complain about the GPS tracking, when it has a clear basis. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

So what about other races that cross private property?

I don't know why they don't have it, where the CE does. But I know why the CE does. Quite logical, from my point of view. 

Landowner request in order to open up routes, hence rule forbidding GPS recording data, and rides being flagged / requested to be made private when the CE finds them on Strava etc. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Guest notmyname

So what about other races that cross private property?

Edit: not argueing the rule, or asking it to be removed, not even calling it stupid, just questioning the true motives.

Because Strava was created by a third force that wants to steal the epic from the corporation...

The rule is just a show of good faith from event organiser to the landowners. In reality it can't be policed and you cannot with certainty pinpoint who's file was used to trespass.

There is plenty of other data available for any would be mtb trespasser to strich a route together e.g. That old invention called a topographical map, youknow that thing before Garmin.

Besides anyone who publishes their leisure activities for the world to see deserves to get banned

The rule is just a show of good faith from event organiser to the landowners. In reality it can't be policed and you cannot with certainty pinpoint who's file was used to trespass.

There is plenty of other data available for any would be mtb trespasser to strich a route together e.g. That old invention called a topographical map, youknow that thing before Garmin.

Besides anyone who publishes their leisure activities for the world to see deserves to get banned

I agree with Myles and this - the farmers are looking for some 'good faith' gesture, publicizing that you have ridden over their land is just the 'permission' a self entitled rider is looking for.

As an example the key access route between the Southern Cape/ Overberg and the Breede Valley has been Trappieskraal portage - the farmer has apparently decided 'no' to any race because of the trespassing and attitude of riders.

For rides like the Epic and Freedom Challenge this is a big deal, especially Epic which I am sure would love to revisit the Overberg and link to Grabouw/ Elgin. For the Freedom its just another sadistic opportunity to send you somewhere 'impossible'. 

Why don't we get Hannele's opinion about the toughness of this ACE 2016?

She is one of a handful of people who can actually give a real answer....

The rest of us should just shut up I think..

She had a tough epic - pushed her partner for several days - never gave up - she is a machine.

Guest notmyname

LOL

Skynet or Umbrella Corp?

Hahaha Myles! On the money bro.

You can get all the files you need online in a matter of minutes, just scratched the surface..

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

You can get all the files you need online in a matter of minutes, just scratched the surface..

You don't get it. They're asking you not to. It's not that you CAN do it, it's that you shouldn't. There's a difference. 

You don't get it. They're asking you not to. It's not that you CAN do it, it's that you shouldn't. There's a difference.

The spectators guide has much more detailed maps of each stage.

Why don't we get Hannele's opinion about the toughness of this ACE 2016? 

She is one of a handful of people who can actually give a real answer....

The rest of us should just shut up I think..

I spoke to her on the route and asked her if this was the worst and toughest route ever ( I damn well thought so and was basically trying to force her to agree with my opinion!!), but she was very sweet and polite and told me that she just absolutely loves technical climbing so this one was right up her alley!!

I also asked the same of Mike ( also with a 12 on his number), en route too and he told me no way, some of the long dirt roadie Knysna ones were worse!!

I have no plans to mountain bike in Tulbagh again, however