This again... Ht vs Full sus and subsequent choice

Hello!

Thank you in advance for the input! I have read a few of these so here is the info needed.

R30kish budget

1.83m tall (Large frame if i'm not mistaken)

27 years old

Riding for 3 years

Old bike was a 26" carbon hardtail from 2008 (very race oriented geometry)

Ride 2 times a week, 50km+ outrides in the south/Thaba/Modderfontein

Races every 2 months or so. Competitive but nowhere near a podium.

Bike will be purchased new as it is part of a claim.

What my LBS stocks will be preffered. (GT, Giant, Merida, Cannondale, Cube, Mongoose, Silverback, Titan)

My dilemma now, a nice one at that, is a carbon hardtail or a full suspension.

My standout choices:

2016 Anthem X 29

2015 Gt Zaskar carbon 9r Pro

What else should I be considering? Perhaps not 29?

My reasons, which might be completely unreasonable:

Dual - Comfort, fun, capability, futureproof

HT -  Learning, speed, components

I look forward to the input!  :clap:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the exact same dilemma at the moment. Looking forward to the discussion to follow!

You'll get more bike for your buck and it will be lighter going hardtail

BUT

back to back testing between my Trek Fuel dual sus and my Silverback Storm hardtail (about 1.5kg lighter than the Trek), showed surprisingly that the heavier dual sus was faster on all segments, even the climb.Testing was done on a flat trail with lots of trail features (rollers / berms / bridges), a rocky climb (0.7km with 8% gradient), a feature filled descent with berms and some rock gardens.

Added to this, the dual sus is more forgiving on technical terrain, is more comfortable and is easier on the body which delays fatigue.
Downside is obviously the capital outlay and maintenance (btw - a a vertically positioned rear shock requires less maintenance than a horizontally positioned shock).

Unfortunately this is all about compromise.

HT vs dual sus, and then within the dual sus, trail vs xc. 

So for me now with Giant as an example: XTC vs (Anthem vs Trance)

I have both, carbon hardtail(9.7kg) and anthem x(11kg). Both 29 ers, def prefer my hardtail. Less maintainance, faster and lighter. I can ride more during the week on the lighter bike. Training loads higher on the anthem. The anthem will be the better option for stage races more than 3 days. I weight 85kg, heavier riders tend to take more abuse on hardtails. If you weigh 80 and under hardtail should be fine.

My 2c

Only one solution to this problem - buy both.... then the question becomes - which one first...

Only one solution to this problem - buy both.... then the question becomes - which one first...

This is a daily challenge ????

I wanted to build a 9kg carbon hardtail so I did, 3 rides later and I sold it got a anthem 1 650b more than 1.8kg heavier but just so much better for me comfort, control, confidence! It's just more fun! I have a trance as well but that just seems to be a wall decoration as the anthem is great in all areas!

For me: Full susser = more comfortable = fast for longer + happier at the end of long rides + more confident on rough stuff.

Love my Anthem. Wheel upgrade when you get a chance.

"vertically positioned rear shock requires less maintenance than a horizontally positioned shock"

Please pardon my ignorance but why is this so?

"vertically positioned rear shock requires less maintenance than a horizontally positioned shock"

Please pardon my ignorance but why is this so?

I think I know what the reasoning behind this statement is,but will wait to hear what the answer to youre question is first.......

For me: Full susser = more comfortable = fast for longer + happier at the end of long rides + more confident on rough stuff.

Love my Anthem. Wheel upgrade when you get a chance.

Makes sense! I just saw that Giant will only focus on 650b from now on. Keeping this in mind, will it be a smarter move to start with 650b now so my parts stay relevant in the years to come. 

I think I know what the reasoning behind this statement is,but will wait to hear what the answer to youre question is first.......

I'm intrigued now as well! 

Makes sense! I just saw that Giant will only focus on 650b from now on. Keeping this in mind, will it be a smarter move to start with 650b now so my parts stay relevant in the years to come. 

I've owned both and in my opinion the 29er  is way better than the 650b. 

I recently raced Babbas 2 weeks apart .Very similar conditions on both days .I specifically did this experiment for myself and my findings were that i was 6 minutes faster on my DS than my 2kg lighter HT and the course was 500m longer on DS day .Gearing on both were 2 x 10 and fitness level similar .Climbs felt easier with the HT but overall consistency and momentum better with the DS 

Archived