Another Cycle Club hogging the roads - Lanseria 3 April

FondTF2

I think its about the location - at that exact location the road goes much narrower.

Let me explain.

From the downhill over the N14 to the section at the lights alongside the chicken farm it narrows significantly to almost a single road with no shoulder. On either side there is a big shoulder or its even double alongside the chicken farm.

This is alongside the back entrance of Lanseria. Its a narrow section.

Also the guys come down that hill at speed on their superbikes on a sunday morning - plus the nutters who are late for flights are also cruising. And its a blind bend to the left and very fast and they are moving - really cruising - all the supercars and superbikes hit the right pedal there - so upwards of 120kmh easily to 200's. Its the first bit of the breakfast run where you are out of the burbs and can give it welly and its also blind and you have gone from a big yellow line to no shoulder so the cyclists are exposed for about 200 metres.

So you have a group that probably was okay cause they had  a big yellow line all of a sudden go through a narrow road section and instead of stringing out for a couple of hundred metres to make it safe they bunched.

As I said I was there and saw this exact bunch now I look at the photo at the same section - these are peaceforce jerseys. And I had the same thought - very dangerous - maybe because I know the route, but also they were all over the road - so I can verify and thought  this was crazy. With a Peaceforce security bakkie in tow.

SO maybe a storm in a teacup - my concern was about the fact that they dont understand how fast the superbikes and cars are coming through there - and if you have one thing that goes wrong i.e. they dont see them for some reason (tired after a long night raving on your Ducati with your mates - or the like) then you will kill a lot of people.

Like i said its a specific area on that route where there is risk - 200 metres either side its very safe - so the guys riding were really just being stupid and a ride captain could have fixed that.

We have all done it and learned. Hopefully people real;ize and fix it.

So it's ok for all the superbikes, supercars and people that are late for their flight to break the rules as long as the cyclists don't break any rules? 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about intent. A truck or tractor is just getting from A to B, and they can't really help it.

Cyclists riding 5 abreast is them giving the middle finger to the rest of the road users. Cyclist really don't need to ride 5 abreast and shouldn't.

You're a road cyclist yourself. Do you ride single file in a race Patch? If you don't then you are giving the middle finger to the rest of the road users.

Rules are rules and you should abide by them, you aren't anything special or different to the others abiding by them.

Just because someone else doesn't abide by them doesn't mean you should follow.

If I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong, two abreast is what we should be abiding by.

This is another rant of a cycle club hogging the road.

Pic was taken just near the back entrance to Lanseria at around 7.40am

They were literally taking up the entire lane and could  not be bothered about traffic trying to pass.

If sh!t like this keeps you up at night then you got some serious issues..... 

And here I worked the weekend???? - would have loved to have been a part of the bunch........

...I'm guessing you are in the pic somewhere...

Hell no! You'll never get me on a road bike with tight pants. 

Rules are rules and you should abide by them, you aren't anything special or different to the others abiding by them.

Just because someone else doesn't abide by them doesn't mean you should follow.

If I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong, two abreast is what we should be abiding by.

It is. But if you want to get technical on the rules, those two abreast riders should be well out in the centre of the lane, and not in the yellow Lane. It is illegal, in theory, to be constantly riding in the yellow Lane.

Cars, behind the two abreast riders in the centre of the lane, should have to wait until it is safe to pass, and overtake with a wide berth.

Bicycles are defined as vehicles by law. We do motorists the favour by bending the yellow Lane rule, and they still push us off the road.

Hennie is right here too. Intent means nothing. I don't care if it's a commuter or a recreational cyclist, they're both people with lives and jobs and families and while one may be riding for fitness, it's not your right to judge intention and behave differently.

Yes, on a realistic note, the cyclists should pay attention to the fact that there are speeding bikes and late travellers and impatient asses, but they are doing the smarter thing by riding like they are. It forces those behind, like our OP, to stop and wait until it's safe to pass, instead of squeezing past a huge number of riders.

It is. But if you want to get technical on the rules, those two abreast riders should be well out in the centre of the lane, and not in the yellow Lane. It is illegal, in theory, to be constantly riding in the yellow Lane.

Cars, behind the two abreast riders in the centre of the lane, should have to wait until it is safe to pass, and overtake with a wide berth.

Bicycles are defined as vehicles by law. We do motorists the favour by bending the yellow Lane rule, and they still push us off the road.

Hennie is right here too. Intent means nothing. I don't care if it's a commuter or a recreational cyclist, they're both people with lives and jobs and families and while one may be riding for fitness, it's not your right to judge intention and behave differently.

Yes, on a realistic note, the cyclists should pay attention to the fact that there are speeding bikes and late travellers and impatient asses, but they are doing the smarter thing by riding like they are. It forces those behind, like our OP, to stop and wait until it's safe to pass, instead of squeezing past a huge number of riders.

That is some good information, but tend to disagree.I however have never seen cyclists riding two abreast in the centre of the lane anywhere whether commuting or on weekends unless in a race. However if it is the law then cyclist and motorists should be made aware and that is why a post like this from the OP isn't always a bad thing.

That particular part of the road, if I've got the correct place, is a shocker. The left hand 'lane' (paintwork missing I think since re-work on the road?), is a passing lane to pass those turning right. (At one point it was a Stop street momentarily - I think the residual white stop line can be seen in the original?). What I'm trying to suggest is that the specific rules-of-the-road of that particular junction are neglected, (almost) absent and/or confusing. Granted the general rules-of-the-road should be abided to by all. In which case, I also think directly after this junction, that there's a solid white line upto the central reservation as you approach the robots at Malibongwe, so should cars be overtaking bicycles, or other vehicles if you wish, at this place? 

However one looks at it, large groups always introduce inconvenience for other road users, cars and cyclists. A bit of common-sense and tolerance on both sides might make the respective journeys flow a little better?  

Not sure why the OP is again being attacked, these guys should not have ridden in such a wide bunch we know this, they know this, so no need to have a go at the OP.

I saw these guys in the cradle a few times that day and again up Sterkies, they werent doing it as badly as in the picture then to be honest.

I have found that if you ride up to the marshals of these bigger groups and let him/her know that the riders behind are riding a bit too "wide" they usually drop back and have a word and it gets sorted.

Its all about being courteous to your fellow cyclist and road users.

That is some good information, but tend to disagree.I however have never seen cyclists riding two abreast in the centre of the lane anywhere whether commuting or on weekends unless in a race. However if it is the law then cyclist and motorists should be made aware and that is why a post like this from the OP isn't always a bad thing.

Like all things you have the law and then you have reality.

If you had to cycle two deep outside of the yellow line you may be correct but you would very soon be dead in this country.

SO your estate and beneficiaries could easily spend time ensuring that the public knew you were a moral and law abiding citizen that upheld his rights.

Me - I ride on the dirt (seriously) if i think i am at risk.

Keep it real - in the eternal war between cars and bike, I have yet to see a dead motorist lying in the emergency lane and a cyclist standing looking at him after they have had an accident.....

Just a question or 6....

From a strictly law point of view....

1. Does a cyclist not count as a road user too ?
  2. What does the law say about how many should ride abreast etc?
  3. Its our Hobby yes, and we should abide by the rules of the road(which we don't always do), but don't we then have a right to use the road as much as a car/

From a safety point of view and common respect for other people (that choose to be fully protected in a steal cage, driven by an internal combustion engine, fueled by fossil fuels that destroy the atmosphere and our lungs, and don't have any intent of getting off the couch apart from going to KFC to get an oil covered piece of genetically engineered chicken) I believe that 2 abreast is the way to go. Although its not always possible and the situation sometimes vary from this "rule".

If its a BIIIIG group, its my opinion that they should split into smaller groups...

The one thing that bothers me though is, There is no need to be an ahole of a cager... Just patiently wait for it to be safe and then pass. You know these routes have cyclists, choose a different one if you can. When there is a big truck going up a hill YOU HAVE TO sit behind him until its safe to overtake.

Albion Wheelers had a small incident on the weekend coming up BOSCO where a car came from behind, hooting and shouting profanity for us to get off the road, the passenger halfway out the window waving his hands like a crazy man and then the driver cutting back very sharply in front of us almost taking out the front outside rider. Now Albion Groups have a very strong emphasis on safety and 99% of the time we ride 2 abreast, when the situation calls for it only single file... Its only on a quiet road when switching places that we will go out of formation... Yet this YAHOO overtook us on a solid white line, when we honestly did not take up more than a meter or so from the yellow line. Just being a muppet...

So yes I agree some riders think they own the road, like "some" motorcyclists do and "some" German Make car owners do and all of the taxi's do. 

But it reminds me of the Joke...

"a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... and they all laugh and joke and have a good time, because that's what happens when you not an a##hole"

One should not loose sight of the reason for traffic laws as they relate to cyclists.  They exist with the purpose of safety, more specifically your safety as a cyclist.  Disobeying them or not is a choice cyclists have.