IS IT TRUE? Cycle Lab buying CWCycles? (Poll Added)

JDipstiek

What do you think  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should CWC sell?

• Yes
    • No

Only when the problems end up on the distributor's desks. Been in distribution for years... Everyone loves a good grey deal until it must be supported. 

What if its advertised as a grey product? Then the person knows, you get zip support.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as the source of the rumour (on this thread at least) is GrootLem, I'm leaning towards it being just a rumour. 

I will gladly eat humble pie if I am wrong, but I think it is just pot stirring going on.

Deal is done. Effectively old mutual who ownes cyclelab bought them. Huge dollars. Taking over in June. Family keeps their jobs.

always wondered why cwc has been so quiet on the deals and their threads even here on the forum...

cutting out the middle man is a fundamental problem?

Oh heck no, Im all about cutting as many out the chain as possible(unless it comes to insurance)

This was more of a Shimano thing I was highlighting.

Its just that Im pointing out the incompetence of the local agent who are terrible at keeping stock levels and the fact that the pricing is too high.

When you have to buy it from overseas in order to get reasonable pricing and resell it then someone, somewhere is taking the piss.

Deal is done. Effectively old mutual who ownes cyclelab bought them. Huge dollars. Taking over in June. Family keeps their jobs.

Why would the family want to keep their jobs, if I just sold my bike franchise I would have made sure I had coined it! Hopefully they no longer need the jobs. :)

Of course if they want a bike shop to hang out in with their names on it, thats cool as well.

Only when the problems end up on the distributor's desks. Been in distribution for years... Everyone loves a good grey deal until it must be supported. 

Oh fffs, why are you banging on about the grey issue. Oom Chris always supports his products if there's a problem with them. Grey is not fake, just means it hasn't been imported through the official (monopoly) channel.

For me, the nice thing about CWC is that they were like the LOCAL equivalent of CRC, Merlin cycles and Wiggle etc as they often had sale days, fire sale, black Fridays etc ... which works as you usually need consumables or stock up on consumables, chains, cassettes, tyres, lube etc.  

The sales generally came at the right time and you felt you got value for money not only in price but in service and was not always about selling bikes and high end stuff.

CL model is to have sales when they need to move stock to replace with next seasons/next years stock or when stock has been lying around and the accountants show that there is too much stock on the book therefore needs to be moved.

2 different models of sales and I think the majority need and enjoy the CWC model.

If the exchange rate and shipping costs were not prohibitive, there would be a lot more buying on the flash/fire sales that the likes of Chain Reaction have, so CWC filled that niche nicely.

CWC is my "go to" shop... hope this doesn't affect the service and specials

bet you haven't tried evobikes yet :ph34r:

Why would the family want to keep their jobs, if I just sold my bike franchise I would have made sure I had coined it! Hopefully they no longer need the jobs. :)

Of course if they want a bike shop to hang out in with their names on it, thats cool as well.

Usually there's a two-three year period where the buyer has the seller contracted to continue working there, as often the value of the business is in the individuals' knowhow & contacts.

Leaving at the time of sale just gives the buyer a room full of stock and confused underlings.

Usually there's a two-three year period where the buyer has the seller contracted to continue working there, as often the value of the business is in the individuals' knowhow & contacts.

Leaving at the time of sale just gives the buyer a room full of stock and confused underlings.

Yes but then it should be phrased, family has been asked to stay on. Not "keeps their jobs" 

Congrats to the okes for creating something that OM  wanted to buy :D 

Yes but then it should be phrased, family has been asked to stay on. Not "keeps their jobs" 

Congrats to the okes for creating something that OM  wanted to buy :D

You're right - the seller often wants to take the money and run...

or cycle in this case, or go on a cruise or, or............

Old Mutual or More Cycle Group? Big difference, even indirectly. Wonder if they'll end up buying TheHub as well !!  :o  :ph34r:

Oh heck no, Im all about cutting as many out the chain as possible(unless it comes to insurance)

This was more of a Shimano thing I was highlighting.

Its just that Im pointing out the incompetence of the local agent who are terrible at keeping stock levels and the fact that the pricing is too high.

When you have to buy it from overseas in order to get reasonable pricing and resell it then someone, somewhere is taking the piss.

Totally agree, the distributor is responsible to always have good stock levels, great local support and most importantly have great value to the end user from a pricing point of view. If pricing on a specific product seems unusually high, check the import tariffs. In the end the government is the biggest culprit in screwing the end user with unjustifiable import duties. 

Archived