[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

I am doing my 3rd 947 this year and starting in E batch. I am aiming for sub 3 this time. Is it necessary to try and find someone here, starting in the same batch, who is willing to "stick with me" pushing for sub 3, or is it a save bet just to keep up with most of the E bunch guys?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing my 3rd 947 this year and starting in E batch. I am aiming for sub 3 this time. Is it necessary to try and find someone here, starting in the same batch, who is willing to "stick with me" pushing for sub 3, or is it a save bet just to keep up with most of the E bunch guys?

It is always good to have a wheel to suck. Ride with the group, stay steady and attentive. Don't get caught on the inside of sharp corners.

With last night's rain the road between Kyalami and Waterfall Estate is closed today, due to flood damage.

Wonder what their plan B will be for the route if there are heavy rains the night before and the low crossings are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With last night's rain the road between Kyalami and Waterfall Estate is closed today, due to flood damage.

Wonder what their plan B will be for the route if there are heavy rains the night before and the low crossings are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come out of the Kyalami race track, go straight up Allandale, turn right and come down through Waterfall, turn left back into R55 and carry onto Woodmead

from E batch a sub 3 is easy, the top guys in the bunch will do 2h40.  You'll be better off just riding in the bunch than trying to work at it with a handful of guys that you might meet on the hub.  Start at the front 15% of the bunch and stay there.

In your guys experience. To be in the first third or so of the start pen, how much time before the start will one need to be in the pen?

I have been late every year..

I would say as much as an hour before your start time

from E batch a sub 3 is easy, the top guys in the bunch will do 2h40. You'll be better off just riding in the bunch than trying to work at it with a handful of guys that you might meet on the hub. Start at the front 15% of the bunch and stay there.

In your guys experience. To be in the first third or so of the start pen, how much time before the start will one need to be in the pen?

You'll have to camp at riverside the Saturday night. (also doing the same calculation for a 6:27 start)

Heard that the bridge on R55 by Kyalami was washed away.

Any truth to this?

That was said on the traffic report on 702 as well...

Interesting times ahead

from E batch a sub 3 is easy, the top guys in the bunch will do 2h40. You'll be better off just riding in the bunch than trying to work at it with a handful of guys that you might meet on the hub. Start at the front 15% of the bunch and stay there.

Am also in e but not sure how easy a sub 3hr will be. If the front guys are 2 strong for those aiming at a sub 3 just...you could get left with only a few guys. I for one am going to try and get to the front 15% of my batch.. But am not going to burn all my matches trying to stay with the guys up front if the pace is to hot . As everybody has said save some for the last 1/3 of the race.

I don't mind climbing and probably my strongest suit,but you can't climb if you have used yours legs. Probably just need a bit of luck as well am sure.

Edited by Pikey

You'll have to camp at riverside the Saturday night. (also doing the same calculation for a 6:27 start)

Cav' youve beat me to it.  BB go and buy a tent this week and go there straight after you've picked up your race number on Thursday already.  You should be in the second or third row then.

Cav' youve beat me to it.  BB go and buy a tent this week and go there straight after you've picked up your race number on Thursday already.  You should be in the second or third row then.

Damn don't want a sub 3 that badly ????