Best headphones for cycling?

Puncture Kid

Don't do it. Its a matter of life or death. Sounds crazy, but true. How about riding without a flashing light or no helmet. The odds are against any cyclist already when we out on the roads. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens if you are hearing impaired? (Like I am) Are you not allowed to ride on the road?

You have just got to be more aware of your surroundings. I tend to look behind me more than the others i ride with.

I have tried riding with a hearing aid but the sweat damages it very easily and gets VERY expensive. Plus with the wind noise you basically not going to hear anything anyway.

I have now got a cover for my Cochlear Implant, and do ride with that, but once again with the wind noise is very hard to hear anything else.

As for holding up riders behind me, well they shouldn't behind me if they so fast. Once again I do look behind me more than most.

Cycling is risky business with cars and bikejackers... no need to increase the risk by not hearing the danger. Read a not so funny story about somebody attacked by a rottweiller on the loose and the cyclist did not hear the owners shouts to warn him about the dog. Just does not make sense to increase your risk.

I say ditch the headphones. I often go riding alone and end up meeting randoms in the trail and making new riding buddies.

I train with earphones,on busy roads I remove them so I can hear my surroundings.Would like to get the aftershockz that have been mentioned before.I agree,its dangerous on the road with earphones and on the trail its anoying when guys cant hear you approaching.Just love pumping Skrillex on the climbs though

The last time I cycled with earphones I ended up in trauma getting a CT scan and x-rays, as I was in my own world and did not notice the Volvo popping a stop in front of me. I ended up doing an endo onto tar, barely missing the back of the car. The last thing I remember seeing was my speedometer showing 41kph.

Love cycling with earphones... Listen to my podcasts. There is a alert app on iphone to is actively listening, if a louder sounds is heart it mutes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What app is this?? 

Always train with headphones, only time i get to catchup on decent music without the wife and kids telling me its to loud and to #shutitdown

Anyone using JABRA wireless phones?

The last time I cycled with earphones I ended up in trauma getting a CT scan and x-rays, as I was in my own world and did not notice the Volvo popping a stop in front of me. I ended up doing an endo onto tar, barely missing the back of the car. The last thing I remember seeing was my speedometer showing 41kph.

So it is the earphones' fault that you don't watch where you're going?

Hello

I use the Sennheiser OCX 686i. They are really comfortable and the sound quality is superb. The only niggle that I have with them is that the RHS-earbud cable is much shorter than the LHS. I know that this is supposed to offset the way that the remote control hangs, but I do find it somewhat awkward. Otherwise I can highly recommend these if you are looking for wired headphones.

On a side note, I wouldn't say that it's fair to say that cyclist/runners are a danger to themselves or others if they listen to music/podcasts while excising outdoors. There's no evidence of this and makes as much sense as suggesting deaf athletes (social or professional) are the greatest risk of all. Sure, some runners/cyclists are a bit spaced-out on the road, but I don't think that listening to music/podcasts can reasonably be said to be the cause of this or put them at greater risk of harm.

Please Surv0MTB, DONT deliberately go frightening other road users. It's really not cool.

Don't do it. Its a matter of life or death. Sounds crazy, but true. How about riding without a flashing light or no helmet. The odds are against any cyclist already when we out on the roads. 

The odds are against you in general living in RSA.  :w00t:

Hardly ever encounter more than a 2-3 rides at thaba in the space of a few hours. I don't go blasting the volume either. Like a previous poster said common sense goes a long way

What app is this?? 

Always train with headphones, only time i get to catchup on decent music without the wife and kids telling me its to loud and to #shutitdown

Anyone using JABRA wireless phones?

Yup, use Jabra sport on IDT / treadmill, no hassles with wires and it auto connects via bluetooth to your phone. Takes a bit of practice to get them sitting nicely in the ear but once there they don't budge. Also plays radio without a connected device and a hot chicks voice (in my head anyway) warns you when the battery is low.

So it is the earphones' fault that you don't watch where you're going?

Ja, 'cause that's what I meant, isn't it?

You so special

Ja, 'cause that's what I meant, isn't it?

You so special

No, you are. Oh stop it! No YOU are! And so on and so forth... Maybe you should just watch where you're going...

Archived