RIP: The ability to overtake on an MTB

I must be riding in different races/places to the rest of you.

Of the plenty plenty plenty over takes I've had maybe 1% have been the ignore/fkeewww response. The rest have been "passing on your right when I have a gap", "thank you", "well done", "see you at the end", "nice riding", "cheers"  etc.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be riding in different races/places to the rest of you.

Of the plenty plenty plenty over takes I've had maybe 1% have been the ignore/fkeewww response. The rest have been "passing on your right when I have a gap", "thank you", "well done", "see you at the end", "nice riding", "cheers"  etc.

yeah bro, it really depends on how you open the conversation with the other user. I never have a problem, myself. 

Don't worry, Thor. I'm never gonna give you up...

Never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert me?

Never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert me?

An oldie but a goodie....

post-2412-0-67727200-1462264226_thumb.jpg

yeah bro, it really depends on how you open the conversation with the other user. I never have a problem, myself. 

Passing on an mtb as in life is all about how you approach it 99% of the time.

The other 1% need a high. To the face. With a brick*

*before this all goes pear shaped I don't advocate hitting people in the face with a brick as a passing strategy. I was joking**

**I don't know what comic sans is.

I must be riding in different races/places to the rest of you. Of the plenty plenty plenty over takes I've had maybe 1% have been the ignore/fkeewww response. The rest have been "passing on your right when I have a gap", "thank you", "well done", "see you at the end", "nice riding", "cheers"  etc.

Ja me neither... Both rides this weekend every single person was polite and almost immediately hopped to the side, often with a friendly comment as I went by with a happy thank you. Having been a gormless weekend warrior for a long time, I honestly think most people are just so focused on what they are doing that they aren't able to notice you coming up behind them. And startle responses are not great in many circumstances when you are jittery.

What this thread has highlighted is that most people can't seem to read between the lines to get the point...

OP was not asking for someone to move over in his point 1. He was asking people to stop behaving like a box when he gets creative to get past someone on a piece of ST.

No hypocrisy then when he says that he holds his own line in point 2 so that when someone faster approaches they need to use their overtaking skills to get by!

Single Track in mass MTB events is the biggest anti-climax ever. You will always get the super lean fitness freaks climbing as fast as they can so that they're seeing stars when they hit the downhill and then descend like they've all just received their pensioners cards!

IF you enjoy ripping a piece of downhill single track, for the love of everything with wheels, look up your local enduro scene and leave these mass events to be what they will always default to, a mass sufferfest that has too much congestion with an all out start to finish race format to truly make all of the trails enjoyable.

Passing on an mtb as in life is all about how you approach it 99% of the time.

The other 1% need a high. To the face. With a brick*

*before this all goes pear shaped I don't advocate hitting people in the face with a brick as a passing strategy. I was joking**

**I don't know what comic sans is.

Agreed. I find a fold-up chair to be far more user friendly. WWE style, ya dig?

What this thread has highlighted is that most people can't seem to read between the lines to get the point...

OP was not asking for someone to move over in his point 1. He was asking people to stop behaving like a box when he gets creative to get past someone on a piece of ST.

No hypocrisy then when he says that he holds his own line in point 2 so that when someone faster approaches they need to use their overtaking skills to get by!

Single Track in mass MTB events is the biggest anti-climax ever. You will always get the super lean fitness freaks climbing as fast as they can so that they're seeing stars when they hit the downhill and then descend like they've all just received their pensioners cards!

IF you enjoy ripping a piece of downhill single track, for the love of everything with wheels, look up your local enduro scene and leave these mass events to be what they will always default to, a mass sufferfest that has too much congestion with an all out start to finish race format to truly make all of the trails enjoyable.

I was wondering if I was alone in thinking that's what the OP was referring to in his opening points... 

Agreed. I find a fold-up chair to be far more user friendly. WWE style, ya dig?

I was wondering if I was alone in thinking that's what the OP was referring to in his opening points...

Tossing a fold up chair is only good when compared to throwing a stool.

Sunday at the Winter Fast One here in the South it happened to me.

In the last 10km of the 60km route, there is a section of Jeep Track. 

I was riding next to someone and I hear "Track!" behind me and then another "Move over!". So I push a bit harder and go left so that the speed merchant can come through.

I got a thanks as he got next to me and he then proceeded to slowly move forward. 2km later we arrive at the last water point. 

Guess who is standing there, off the bike, eating and drinking as if we have another 50km to go.

I just had a good laugh when I saw he was doing the 40km route  :w00t:

This, this x 10000, then again mutiplied by googolpex!!

These mass multiday day events are single track obsessed! They try and put 1000 people through it, at the same time.

Lets face it, "We have 34% more single track this year" sells entries, but it makes it not that lekker for those who both love it and hate it.

Those who love it get stuck behind those who hate it, making it *** for both.

This, this x 10000, then again mutiplied by googolpex!!

These mass multiday day events are single track obsessed! They try and put 1000 people through it, at the same time.

Lets face it, "We have 34% more single track this year" sells entries, but it makes it not that lekker for those who both love it and hate it.

Those who love it get stuck behind those who hate it, making it *** for both.

What's even more special is when you get to some of these events and the 34% more single track is in the first 5 clicks and people are standing in a queue waiting for all the other peeps ahead of them to uncleat and hike a bike the new piece of single track as no one is carrying any momentum into the stretch of track with the congestion!

Takes a forward thinking Organiser to get some functional info from established race crew on how their routes will practically work on the day!

Sunday at the Winter Fast One here in the South it happened to me.

In the last 10km of the 60km route, there is a section of Jeep Track.

I was riding next to someone and I hear "Track!" behind me and then another "Move over!". So I push a bit harder and go left so that the speed merchant can come through.

I got a thanks as he got next to me and he then proceeded to slowly move forward. 2km later we arrive at the last water point.

Guess who is standing there, off the bike, eating and drinking as if we have another 50km to go.

I just had a good laugh when I saw he was doing the 40km route :w00t:

Sorry sal nie weer nie oom ????

What's even more special is when you get to some of these events and the 34% more single track is in the first 5 clicks and people are standing in a queue waiting for all the other peeps ahead of them to uncleat and hike a bike the new piece of single track as no one is carrying any momentum into the stretch of track with the congestion!

Takes a forward thinking Organiser to get some functional info from established race crew on how their routes will practically work on the day!

I thought the Burger MTB got it right the one year with a 'time out' zone at the top of Hels. Seemed everyone was calm and peaceful. Think last year there were more stressed individuals trying to squeeze passed and making it irritating for everyone.

Archived