RIP: The ability to overtake on an MTB

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to assume that any rider, that gets stuck behind a slower rider for whatever reason, and gets annoyed and frustrated is probably the same person driving a car that flies at 120kmh in a 60km zone and gets pissed of when a car that is sticking to the speed is in front of them...meh

I was behind a couple of girls threading their way through the trees on a piece of singletrack at Heia last year on the yellow route (before Heia went "Loco"). I was enjoying watching the lines they were trying and the roots they were getting over and I was pleased for them. They were obviously having a great time.

When they realised I was behind them they apologised (In Afrikaans) and offered to move over for me. I told them not to stress - I was happy to wait for the track to open up.

When I did eventually pass them I said with mock horror and in my dodgy Afrikaans "julle twee ry soos meisies!". One of them replied straight back "ons IS meisies oom!"

Happy days. I hope they are still riding :-)

OP: Did you read your initial post wrt items 1 and 2 ? What's good for the goose is good for the gander is it not?

If a stronger rider wants to pass me, I let them. If I want to pass a weaker rider, I'll do so when safe for both riders... and say thanks.

Many bike parks support the "rider in front owns the track" philosophy which in think I s the IMBA approach too.

no not really,

we just seem to have lost the ability to understand outbraking, racing lines and the ability to move off line and come out of a corner differently to others.

Hence the topic - RIP the ability to overtake.

Not everyone is going for a PB every time they ride their bike. Some just want to ride their bike.

If everyone was a tad more considerate to others it would surely benefit all riders

I see the op is from Gauteng.  Ive never ridden any trails there, are they really that busy that overtaking is such a serious issue?  I mean is this a problem that is encountered on every ride or just now and then?

I occasionally pass or overtake people on our my rides.  Generally it involves seeing someone up ahead, racing to catch up and see who it is and then have a chat. 

I see the op is from Gauteng.  Ive never ridden any trails there, are they really that busy that overtaking is such a serious issue?  I mean is this a problem that is encountered on every ride or just now and then?

I occasionally pass or overtake people on our my rides.  Generally it involves seeing someone up ahead, racing to catch up and see who it is and then have a chat. 

There are people like you, and people like him.  We have lots off both here, they do not well together.

Thing is .... i do not really belief that he is soooo fast, because the real fast guys, just pass and great with a smile on there face, or wait a couple of seconds ... till it is safe to overtake.

But that is just between you and me. :whistling:

There are people like you, and people like him.  We have lots off both here, they do not well together.

Thing is .... i do not really belief that he is soooo fast, because the real fast guys, just pass and great with a smile on there face, or wait a couple of seconds ... till it is safe to overtake.

But that is just between you and me. :whistling:

Same with the real Pros on he road. They go past you so fast but you always get a "Hi" from them. Whereas the Wannabe Pros get their knickers in a right twist if you hold them up for a second or two.

To wrap up the thread, and to sum everything up......"Don't be a DICK/D@@S" it's that simple. ☺

To wrap up the thread, and to sum everything up......"Don't be a DICK/D@@S" it's that simple. ☺

Aaaand done. A great summary. End van prent :-)

Oi Leave me out of this.

My wife did the Houw Hoek tour this weekend. She said it made her feel like an absolute pro rider. Some slow pokes held them up on all the fun stuff. My wife is not a shredder but has been for skills coaching and enjoys the descents. I stayed away and rode Grabouw and Paul Cluver with a buddy. No worries re overtaking- clear track everywhere. 

I overtook some cattle on single track today, I shouted 'move you cow' and so they did....

I overtook some cattle on single track today, I shouted 'move you cow' and so they did....

I've heard about these cow obedience schools, should look into it, mine doesn't even respond to its name... Starting to think it's daring me to turn it into a burger.

I've heard about these cow obedience schools, should look into it, mine doesn't even respond to its name... Starting to think it's daring me to turn it into a burger.

You just have to whisper 'patty' into their ear.....or wave a bun with lettuce and tomato at them....

only because they know you're vegetarian  :clap:

Archived