Training on standard cranks, racing Jock on compact

Would be cheaper to change your cassette than a complete crankset....

Agreed but.....  If you are on 10 speed Shimano the gap between the 28 and next one down is too big (24 I think).  The 27/12 is better at 27 to 25 but then you will spin out on the 50/12.  The new 11 speeds are fine.  You can choose the cassette, even up to 32/11.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed but.....  If you are on 10 speed Shimano the gap between the 28 and next one down is too big (24 I think).  The 27/12 is better at 27 to 25 but then you will spin out on the 50/12.  The new 11 speeds are fine.  You can choose the cassette, even up to 32/11.

True. Need to know what groupset OP is using

What about trying a mid compact setup - 52/36 which should let you maintain a good speed on the flats and help you out on the climbs. Have seen a few for sale here on Hub over the last month.

How often are you guys actually spinning out on a 50/34?

At 50/11 at 110rpm you're doing 63km/h....how often in a race are you actually doing 63km/h?

All this discussion and the first stage of Panorama was won by two guys on single speeds :clap:

At 50/11 at 110rpm you're doing 63km/h....how often in a race are you actually doing 63km/h?

Yip

Hard to spin out with compact

Semi-compact can bring peace of mind for the OP

And it's only a 6% difference. So the guy on the 53/39 going 63.9km/h will be spinning at 104rpm while the compact at 110rpm will be going 63.8km/h. It's not really about spinning out. I totally get that there are probably other factors involved though. 

Slightly off topic, but still in the neighborhood..

I run Ultgra 10 speed with a compact crank. I somehow feel that I need to graduate to a 52/39. There is a 105 11speed one going right here. All my homework says I can run 11sp crank with 10sp everything else

Last few races felt like I needed more top end to keep up so the 39 still gives bail out for when needed and the 52 gives more distance per revolution

Yes

Not often, but when it happens you get dropped.

Getting dropped at high speed is game over.

From a racing point of view, I have found that running out of gears has a far more negative effect than not having enough.

I run Ultgra 10 speed with a compact crank. I somehow feel that I need to graduate to a 52/39. There is a 105 11speed one going right here. All my homework says I can run 11sp crank with 10sp everything else

Last few races felt like I needed more top end to keep up so the 39 still gives bail out for when needed and the 52 gives more distance per revolution

Yes

You can . I run 11 speed cranks with full ultegra 10 speed set up.

All this discussion and the first stage of Panorama was won by two guys on single speeds :clap:

Yes but those two guys are disturbed.

Yes

If you are interested I will trade a 10 speed 53/39 Dura Ace crank for your compact.

If you are interested I will trade a 10 speed 53/39 Dura Ace crank for your compact.

Lets take this offline.

PM semt

No comment on the differing crank lengths ?

What would the effect of 175 vs 172.5 on his different cranks be ?

All of the latest research shows that shorter is better.

Across the board, i.e. irrespective of your height.

So 172.5 is better than 175. And 170 is even better.

I'm 6'2" and run a 170mm crank.

All of the latest research shows that shorter is better.

Across the board, i.e. irrespective of your height.

So 172.5 is better than 175. And 170 is even better.

I'm 6'2" and run a 170mm crank.

What research? And better for what? and when does the benefit end? Is 100 better than 170?

Honestly looking for the research links....I'd be interested to read.

Archived