Flat pedals

igg

A question for the knowledgeable flat pedal folk. Which flat pedals would you recommend for big wide feet i.e. UK12+? Do you think that wider/bigger platform pedals would make any discernible difference? My thinking is yes as a UK8 shoe would arguably fit a whole lot better onto a pedal compared to a UK13, for example.

I have been using the Giant flats for a fair few rides now and, while they have been doing a decent enough job, I find that a portion of my shoe hangs off the outer edge of the pedal leading to increased leg fatigue and a bit of discomfort (I wear a UK13). Would a wider platform pedal help with this? Or do I just need to work on foot placement more? 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it would. Whilst the giants are great starters in teh flat world, there are pedals with bigger platforms which help us bigfeet. Saints are bigger, but keep an eye out for anything around the 110mm mark for width. 

Yes, it would. Whilst the giants are great starters in teh flat world, there are pedals with bigger platforms which help us bigfeet. Saints are bigger, but keep an eye out for anything around the 110mm mark for width. 

Awesome, shot for the input. Will check what options are available. Considered the Saints but I think wider would be even better!

A question for the knowledgeable flat pedal folk. Which flat pedals would you recommend for big wide feet i.e. UK12+? 

I wear a US14/UK13 (I weigh 102kg before breakfast), and my feet are big and wide. I have been using Saints for about 1.5 years now. These things have been taking a relentless beating without any issues/problems etc. If/when they die, I'll just get another set. Yes I am biased, but for good reason :P

Edited by henningvr

Awesome, shot for the input. Will check what options are available. Considered the Saints but I think wider would be even better!

Spank spikes and Crank brothers stamp come to mind (both have massive platforms ) and the crank brother pedal comes in different q-factors if you want to have them out wider as well.

That being said you could probably get two sets of saints for what the above pedals cost .

OK cool, well definitely won't discount the Saints too quickly then! Can't argue with the affordability of the Saint's compared to the other options. The Stamp's have a pretty fierce price from what I've seen so far!

I wear a US14/UK13 (I weigh 102kg before breakfast), and my feet are big and wide. I have been using Saints for about 1.5 years now. These things have been taking a relentless beating without any issues/problems etc. If/when they die, I'll just get another set. Yes I am biased, but for good reason :P

Out of interest, what shoes do you wear henningvr? Finding flat pedal specific UK13's that are wide is not an easy endeavor! 

Chav, I am using a pair of 5.10 Camp Fours. This is an approach shoe (in rock climbing lingo). Grips like the proverbial snot on a wool blanket, and takes forever to wear out. I've been using them for the same amount of time as the Saints, and they are holding up very well. 

The Spanks are great. Either the Oozy Trail pedal or the Spike.

100 x 100mm with a thin 12mm profile and only 360g a set for the Oozy.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm fully adjusted to riding with flats now and loving the saints. Saved myself from a few offs by just sticking a foot out. Shins and calves are still surprisingly scar free, and I've never felt like I was going to slip off the pedals at any point.

Still struggling with constant pedal strikes though; one of which caused the trauma mentioned earlier in this thread. Rock gardens I could previously ride on my anthem I can't even look at with the evil.

The Spanks are great. Either the Oozy Trail pedal or the Spike.

100 x 100mm with a thin 12mm profile and only 360g a set for the Oozy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Robodog, those Oozy's look lekker but what would the approximate damage be? Getting Spank pedals would match my Spank Spike bar and stem very nicely that's for sure! I have however found getting a hold of some of the Spank items locally can be a bit of a challenge...

Chav, I am using a pair of 5.10 Camp Fours. This is an approach shoe (in rock climbing lingo). Grips like the proverbial snot on a wool blanket, and takes forever to wear out. I've been using them for the same amount of time as the Saints, and they are holding up very well. 

Good to know, will consider this. I've tried on the 5.10 Freerider Contact's in a 13 but these were unfortunately too small. Did you manage to get a hold of the Camp Fours locally? I'm super hesitant on trying to import a shoe given the duties they will attract and the uncertainty around whether or not they would actually fit!

Robodog, those Oozy's look lekker but what would the approximate damage be? Getting Spank pedals would match my Spank Spike bar and stem very nicely that's for sure! I have however found getting a hold of some of the Spank items locally can be a bit of a challenge...

Yeah, the Oozy's are pricey at the R2k mark. Spikes are a bit less if you can still find them. We got both but in very limited colours. Then again we got nearly as much stock of all Spank stock as the agents. 

:oops:

Good to know, will consider this. I've tried on the 5.10 Freerider Contact's in a 13 but these were unfortunately too small. Did you manage to get a hold of the Camp Fours locally? I'm super hesitant on trying to import a shoe given the duties they will attract and the uncertainty around whether or not they would actually fit!

Try City Rock (if they have stock you can fit various sizes): http://cityrock.co.za/capetown/

Yeah, the Oozy's are pricey at the R2k mark. Spikes are a bit less if you can still find them. We got both but in very limited colours. Then again we got nearly as much stock of all Spank stock as the agents. 

:oops:

So it's not just me finding it hard to come by stock for Spank goods! Well I will nonetheless keep the Spike and Oozy options in mind going forward