Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles, rather save and buy DeWalt then...Ryobi is s h i t, regardless of what colour they package it in.

I saved and got the DeWalt 18v Li-Ion with a spare battery last year for R1800. It's worth every sent...

HUGE EDIT: Ergonomicaly Ryobi is s h i t too

Agree there on Ryobi, just take look at their mickey-mouse Li Ion charger.. 

I have a few18V Makita tools, great investments, solid tools

Agree there on Ryobi, just take look at their mickey-mouse Li Ion charger.. 

I have a few18V Makita tools, great investments, solid tools

yeah, I've used the Makita before. Bloody awesome tool, that. Just R 3,500 all in. Suppose the quality is worth it though. 

Is it just me, or are the Makita agents screwing us in SA?  Check for example the small difference in pricing in SA between Makita and Festool, compared to the US where the price difference is huge.

Is it just me, or are the Makita agents screwing us in SA?  Check for example the small difference in pricing in SA between Makita and Festool, compared to the US where the price difference is huge.

Never mind the prices, we seriasly get a dumbed down product range here

https://youtu.be/AOTWjfSW07I

I could really do with one of those 2x18V SDS drills

What would you say is the first and most important piece of woodwork tools to buy?

A hammer  :whistling: , saws of all kinds, rulers and other measuring tools, cordless drills.

Buy one clamp each month, without fail. You won't believe how expensive those are, and how many you need at any one time.

Edited by Moridin

Stretch, just a question...we all see things diffirently, but why didn't you lap-jointed the X legs i.o. the individual pieces, then laminated the 3 or 4 X legs with lap joints together?

Huh, not sure my dumb brain can work out what you're asking... I wanted the legs to be square, and could not get anything near a 140 x 140 single piece, so took 2 x 76 x 152's, cut and planed to 70 x 140, which when laminated comes to 140 x 140.

Another q - did you just laminate them, or did you reinforce the lamination with dowels or biscuits?

I can see why you did it the way you did (far easier to create a pseudo-lap joint by gluing 2 shorter pieces to the longer piece and have a gap in the middle) but I wouldn't trust "just" glue to hold up over time, with that table top and the abuse I know tables receive. But then I'm a fan of over-engineering stuff, so I could be wrong.

The glue should be plenty strong enough (the surface area glued is big and the actual lap joint is also glued), but I also plan to bolt the spreader to the middle of the X, which will hold it together, just undecided how I'm going to make the spreader, may be 50mm pipe, though I'd like a big (read BIG) turnbuckle, like this:

187751e61f20c85c295b2a2b9fe8d4a9.jpg

Huh, not sure my dumb brain can work out what you're asking... I wanted the legs to be square, and could not get anything near a 140 x 140 single piece, so took 2 x 76 x 152's, cut and planed to 70 x 140, which when laminated comes to 140 x 140.

The glue should be plenty strong enough (the surface area glued is big and the actual lap joint is also glued), but I also plan to bolt the spreader to the middle of the X, which will hold it together, just undecided how I'm going to make the spreader, may be 50mm pipe, though I'd like a big (read BIG) turnbuckle, like this:

That explains not using half-lap joints :thumbup:

You can flatten a car with that top! 

You can flatten a car with that top!

Ja, that's solid, my top's not going to be that solid, it's 32 thick, planed some 38x152's to 32 and took 7mm off the sides to get a straight edge, so they're 145 wide x 8 is 1160 wide.

e256308fe303ff958ec44be5a0fcf98f.jpg

Still need to add the breadboards, then it will be 2390 long.