Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Some pretty impressive work here, Gents. Who knew....

Need some advise. Doing a full renovation & addition (what was I thinking...) and part of the project included replacing all the trusses in the original home.

So I now have a bunch of timber, that looks worse for wear; and I would really like to clean it up a little, to utilise as a work top / bench in the garage.

The biggest challenge is that they lack uniformity in thickness. Would I have to run them through a "thicknesser" or a plane?

I have limited woodworking tools (belt sander & orbital) but other than cleaning up, don't think I would be able to get the uniformity.

There used to be a community workshop near Ghandi Square a few years ago, but that is no longer.

Would gladly hire equipment, or pay for expertise.

Any ideas / suggestions appreciated.

How many beams are we talking? 

And what approximate thickness? 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many beams are we talking?

And what approximate thickness?

Probably 20 lengths, between 2-3m in length, and I reckon 50-60mm in thickness.

It would be best to run it through a jointer first...but beware as you cut and plane wood it "moves" ...stacking wood is as important as shaping it...temperature and moisture will twist and distort the planks.

Edited by isetech

Hi,

Any of you guys have or use one of those Dremel multi accessory tools. Not specific to woodwork, but looks like a handy tool to have. any feedback would be cool. thx

Very VERY versatile tool. 3rd to my bosch gsb1080 drill & metabo sliding mitre saw it's my most used item.

Hi,

Any of you guys have or use one of those Dremel multi accessory tools.  Not specific to woodwork, but looks like a handy tool to have.  any feedback would be cool. thx

I once used one, while on a fishing trip in the bundu, to smooth a buddies broken and sharp tooth. Then he bloody well went on and caught more and bigger fish than me. Next time he can cut his tongue to shreds for all I care! Yup, a very useful tool. I used it to shape bits of surfboard foam to make poppers (floating baitfish imitation flies) for catching Garric and Kingfish. 

Anyone who has used an ardendorff floor sander will know my frustration when feeding wood into the sander...the belt system sucks...it slips so you have to stand and push the wood to keep it going...otherwise you have to release the pressure so that it just touches the wood which means you have to push it through 20 times...well i had enough tonight and decided to try something...fitted 2 rollers on the outside to put pressure on the inside roller which stops it from slipping...problem solved...now i only have to feed it 3 times.

5afaacdcec6cd4303c01ae28157efe4c.jpg

Just need to fit rubber rollers instead of hard plastic and replace the 2 springs with slightly stronger ones.

566b2fc35d71f28f8f82be8b9cd75a32.jpg

It would be best to run it through a jointer first...but beware as you cut and plane wood it "moves" ...stacking wood is as important as shaping it...temperature and moisture will twist and distort the planks.

Also be careful of hidden nails in trusses and beams.

You could also do it the old fashioned way with planes and winding sticks. At worst you would get a lekker workout and also hone those planing and sharpening skills.

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/2014/04/preparing-rough-stock/

Edited by Moridin

I once used one, while on a fishing trip in the bundu, to smooth a buddies broken and sharp tooth. Then he bloody well went on and caught more and bigger fish than me. Next time he can cut his tongue to shreds for all I care! Yup, a very useful tool. I used it to shape bits of surfboard foam to make poppers (floating baitfish imitation flies) for catching Garric and Kingfish. 

Hehe good friend you are.....

thx

If it's free of nails, and you can get it to me, I can plane it for you. Always hesitant to plane pre-used timber, just one nail through the planer/thicknesser results in an hours work to replace blades.

If it's free of nails, and you can get it to me, I can plane it for you. Always hesitant to plane pre-used timber, just one nail through the planer/thicknesser results in an hours work to replace blades.

Over the weekend while window shopping at Hamleys, I saw something that probably would help save those blades, end your frustration, and ease your mind.

they had a metal detector for sale,

Anyone who has used an ardendorff floor sander will know my frustration when feeding wood into the sander...the belt system sucks...it slips so you have to stand and push the wood to keep it going...otherwise you have to release the pressure so that it just touches the wood which means you have to push it through 20 times...well i had enough tonight and decided to try something...fitted 2 rollers on the outside to put pressure on the inside roller which stops it from slipping...problem solved...now i only have to feed it 3 times.

Just need to fit rubber rollers instead of hard plastic and replace the 2 springs with slightly stronger ones.

I just adjusted mine  :ph34r:

It's got a set of bolts that you can use to set the tracking on the belt, you can also use them to tighten the belt a bit. 

Now if I can only get sandpaper that lasts in it ... mine does about 50 boards or so then shreds on either end. Duct tape gives me another 5 boards or so.

Some more stuff I made, but these were made in High School some 19 Years Ago...  :o  Didn't realise it has been that long ago...

post-9580-0-75594400-1466591599_thumb.jpg

Imbuia and Jelutong mix, I know it's an odd combination, but worked well (Hardwood and Softwood mix)

post-9580-0-88637600-1466591600_thumb.jpg

post-9580-0-91794600-1466591601_thumb.jpg

post-9580-0-90319000-1466591602_thumb.jpg

Pine inlay on the Imbuia Side Supports

Edited by ZakAttak

Some more stuff I made, but these were made in High School some 19 Years Ago...  :o  Didn't realise it has been that long ago...

attachicon.gif20160622_064713.jpg

Imbuia and Jelutong mix, I know it's an odd combination, but worked well (Hardwood and Softwood mix)

attachicon.gif20160622_064720.jpg

attachicon.gif20160622_064916.jpg

attachicon.gif20160622_064924.jpg

Pine inlay on the Imbuia Side Supports

Really nicely done...and have you continued after school?

Really nicely done...and have you continued after school?

Wish I did, probably would've been stress free...  ;)

I haven't ventured too far off though, became a Fitter and Turner and now Mechanical Engineer, so kept to working with machines making things after school and now sitting behind a desk and every so often on site telling people what to do...  :lol:

Still love my workshop at home and try and create practical pieces for home and the kids...

I just adjusted mine  :ph34r:

It's got a set of bolts that you can use to set the tracking on the belt, you can also use them to tighten the belt a bit. 

Now if I can only get sandpaper that lasts in it ... mine does about 50 boards or so then shreds on either end. Duct tape gives me another 5 boards or so.

I had set the bolts but the belt still slips on the roller...this method allows me to apply a lot more pressure without ant slipping...i have fitted 3 rollers and it is working much better.

i get my sand paper from magnet suppliers in rolls then cut to size...you have to size it perfect otherwise it becomes hand sandpaper.

Hi,

Any of you guys have or use one of those Dremel multi accessory tools.  Not specific to woodwork, but looks like a handy tool to have.  any feedback would be cool. thx

I have a 25 year old Dremel, still works like a new one, pity as I would love to have a reason to buy a newer model. Fantastic tool if you have the need.