Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

For the guys living in estates. How/where do you do your woodwork that you don't bug the neighbours? 

Also live in an estate but I push the limits a bit more than R-Boy and Steven.  I stop making noise after 20:00.  But my lathe is very quiet, so I can use that any time.

But I always keep the garage door closed.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also live in an estate but I push the limits a bit more than R-Boy and Steven.  I stop making noise after 20:00.  But my lathe is very quiet, so I can use that any time.

But I always keep the garage door closed.

Im 100% with you on that one, lathe has no time limit for me because its pretty quiet.

Fortunately turning is my favourite thing to do so that keeps me busy.

Sheesh ... I stop all big machines at 17:00 every weekday. Lathe, drillpress and one of my big sanders can still go, but only till 19:30 or so then I switch them off (they are connected to a noisy dust extractor)

I REALLY don't want **** from the neighbours. And I live in a normal suburb.

Warning - mini-rant / complaining-with-silver-spoon-in-mouth / brag ahead.

Look, I REALLY don't mind more than doubling my annual turn-over last year, (brag) but I'd just about kill to do some proper woodwork again. 

Something along these lines - taking a month or two on a single project, and being able to do the RIGHT thing the RIGHT way (and not have to worry about it getting too expensive to sell)

OK, rant off. New workshop is coming along sweet, been welding (and grinding) my ass of to make new workbenches. Nothing fancy unfortunately, just postform tops on steel frames. Also picked up some PVC interlock mats this morning - if anyone is interested, got them from Matlock in Rosslyn Pta for ~R75 per square meter. They also do edging strips and some quarter-size coloured mats.

Sheesh ... I stop all big machines at 17:00 every weekday. Lathe, drillpress and one of my big sanders can still go, but only till 19:30 or so then I switch them off (they are connected to a noisy dust extractor)

Same here. I wouldn't want to hear my neighbours either. I'll leave heavy work on the table saw and planers for Saturday mornings. 

I spent some time trying to get organised over December, made a tool wall for behind my bench and started working on a lathe cart.

Once the lathe cart is done I will make a holder for the lathe chisels and then should be able to start working a bit more efficiently.

attachicon.giftoolboard1.jpg

Chisel holder works quite nicely and holds them securely.

attachicon.gifchisel holder.jpg

I couldnt figure out what to do with pencils etc so I hand carved this guy out of a piece of bluegum I had lying about.

attachicon.gifpencil.jpg

Im really enjoying having a specific place for the tools I use the most, they always go back to the correct spot and I dont have to spend ages figuring out where I put them, which has been the case up to now.

Nice. I'm still undecided about my setup. Cant decide if a shallow drawer cabinet/work table be better than french cleat wall system, but will probably only happen when I throw out the tall steel cabinets and build a new workbench and cabinet.

Nice. I'm still undecided about my setup. Cant decide if a shallow drawer cabinet/work table be better than french cleat wall system, but will probably only happen when I throw out the tall steel cabinets and build a new workbench and cabinet.

It took me a long time to get that together because I couldnt figure out what I wanted.

In the end I went for blocks holding groups of tools because I can just remove the screws and move them somewhere else. I thought about french cleats too but I have limited space so a single board worked out better.

Im still going to add some drawers I think for smaller items I use less often, only problem with drawers is they become a catch all type thing for junk.

The lathe cabinet Im busy building definitely needs drawers for all of my chuck jaws/pen turning/centres etc

Do any of you guys use pipe clamps? Im looking at getting some but cant find a store locally which has them. Looking online I can get hold of the Pony ones but it seems you need to have pipe cut and threaded to make them up, do normal plumbing type stores do that?

Do any of you guys use pipe clamps? Im looking at getting some but cant find a store locally which has them. Looking online I can get hold of the Pony ones but it seems you need to have pipe cut and threaded to make them up, do normal plumbing type stores do that?

No, I don't use pipe clamps myself. I'm rather fond of my heavy-as-a-dead-donkey cheap-as-chips bar clamps from Adendorff's. Some shops might do cutting and threading for you on plumbing pipe, but the beauty/simplicity of pipe clamps are supposed to be the ability to use standard lengths off the shelf.

I have some - you only need 1 threaded end on the pipe - so you can convert 1 6m length of pipe into 2 3m clamps with no problem - just cut it in the middle.. but that said, places like builders sell shorter lengths of pipe with 2 threaded ends - but you only need the 1 end threaded - any decent plumber will have a pipe threading kit - I happen to have one despite not being a plumber.... used it for my compressed air setup.

Difference is, you make a living from your woodworking.  Most of us only get to the garage after 17:00.  So it is quiet the whole day and then maybe 60 - 90 minutes of noise in the evening.

We once had a neighbor across the street a few houses down that seemed to have been running his metal fabrication shop from home (in the estate).  And he was working on the driveway.  The grinder drove my wife nuts!  Luckily that did not last long...

Also looked at pipe clamps, but picked up 1.5m sash clamps for ~R280. At that price I can buy more clamps and use more on glue-ups making each clamp work less.

Pipe clamps go for around R400 excluding the pipe. 

I've just completed this little deck at my place. Trying to use up the grass space to save water. It's since been sealed and I've started on some doors for the bottom section of my outside braai area at the back there. Yes, the table top will be replace soon as well :wacko:

post-39501-0-03528600-1516364692_thumb.jpg

..........The grinder drove my wife nuts!............

I have a stupid inconsiderate happy clappy duff duff duff rock church using the school hall across from my house that is driving my wife nuts! I have started hiding my angle grinder for fear of her using it to storm into their unholy gathering and massacre the sound equipment and a preacher or two.  ;)

I have some - you only need 1 threaded end on the pipe - so you can convert 1 6m length of pipe into 2 3m clamps with no problem - just cut it in the middle.. but that said, places like builders sell shorter lengths of pipe with 2 threaded ends - but you only need the 1 end threaded - any decent plumber will have a pipe threading kit - I happen to have one despite not being a plumber.... used it for my compressed air setup.

I drove around a bit looking for pipes and or clamps today, seems East London is in the dark ages because I couldnt find either at any of the hardware stores. Seems they might be more pain than they are worth at the moment!