Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

My December project for Top Management

Oregon book shelf.

Thank goodness for n Kindle now!

Good looking bookshelf, did you use a plan?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifDSC_1065.JPG

I got this bench from a friend of mine . Any advice on how to bring it back to life ? Which sandpaper(grit) and do I varnish or stain ?

Wash with scrubbing brush an warm Amonia solution. Will remove all dead sells (grey wood). Let dry and then start sanding process and apply sealer. Works well on sun exposed front doors and garden furniture.  

Wash with scrubbing brush an warm Amonia solution. Will remove all dead sells (grey wood). Let dry and then start sanding process and apply sealer. Works well on sun exposed front doors and garden furniture.  

Also if you don't mind the uneven surface use steel wool to smooth instead of sandpaper quicker and gives some character. 

what's the intention/inspiration?

Intention - getting lucky with my wife... :) - actually her Christmas present

Inspiration - a wire sculpture I found a picture of  - which happens to be only about 20cm tall.... commissioned by Ralph Lauren by Duncan Sherwood Forbes - mine is about 90cm tall

http://cargocollective.com/duncansherwoodforbes/Wire-Sculpture - just scroll down a bit

Intention - getting lucky with my wife... :) - actually her Christmas present

Inspiration - a wire sculpture I found a picture of  - which happens to be only about 20cm tall.... commissioned by Ralph Lauren by Duncan Sherwood Forbes - mine is about 90cm tall

http://cargocollective.com/duncansherwoodforbes/Wire-Sculpture - just scroll down a bit

oh you did very well indeed. I trust you are satisfied with luck you've earned.  :devil:

oh you did very well indeed. I trust you are satisfied with luck you've earned.  :devil:

So far so good - now I am building her a battlestar rebarcreation....  not what I wanted aesthetically, but in the interests of peace....

This is the one I planned on making.... needless to say it now looks nothing like this...

post-29797-0-13809100-1515585552_thumb.jpg

Easy fix. 80 grit cabinet paper, finish with 120 grit and treat with a deck sealer.

kinda odd question - but do you need to seal the bottom of a deck if no one can see it ?

Ok, so you seal all the planks before you install them. Then you do the edges and the srew points once you have installed.

The deck is 500mm of the floor, how do you maintain? Its not like one can undo the whole lot again and you wont get sealant where the boards lie on the joists.

Ok, so you seal all the planks before you install them. Then you do the edges and the srew points once you have installed.

The deck is 500mm of the floor, how do you maintain? Its not like one can undo the whole lot again and you wont get sealant where the boards lie on the joists.

We built the deck at my farther's place. Did a proper seal the first time prior to installation and never did the bottom again, going on 7/8 years now. The bottom is still perfect, top gets redone every 6 months. We found that the son does the major damage to the sealant and not the odd water splash and dust that gathers.

Flood the screw holes with sealant before putting the screw in.... let it penetrate a while, then put the screw in = you need to put the screw in almost completely, then remove it, then flood, wait, then screw in to tight - then cover the screw with sealant too - this is a painful process but worth the effort.

Best is to use some sacrificial screws to complete the holes first before flooding - use decent deck screws with hex drive holes.

My brother seals the underside of his deck a couple of times a year with a garden sprayer that has a modified tip - fits between his planks and bends up again - this deck takes a beating from the sun, rain and PE wind, and it's still in perfect shape - this is mandatory because if it breaks then it's a f..ing long way down.

We built the deck at my farther's place. Did a proper seal the first time prior to installation and never did the bottom again, going on 7/8 years now. The bottom is still perfect, top gets redone every 6 months. We found that the son does the major damage to the sealant and not the odd water splash and dust that gathers.

Exactly this. Hence when you do the bottom do a proper job, maybe give an extra coat or 2