Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Hello all the woodworkers , sorry if this question was covered before , i do not want to read each and every page. Some one made me a beautiful origin pine table , i just want to know this table will be for the sea cottage and it is not treated yet. We are going to use it for a dining table and just to put "wet glasses" on.....what is the best treatment i can give this table. I do not want a shinny finish or something like that. I was thinking of raw linseed or boiled linseed oil?(What is the difference) Is there maybe a kind of wax that i can put on? Thanks in advance !!! 

Wooddock 5/10/20

Easy to apply

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes inside

I used a water based sealant from Builders over the holidays....the builders is the same product from a better known brand, just packaged for them, and a little cheaper.

Gave the old Oregon Pine a good sanding down to base, and applied a thin coat with a rag, rubbing it in as I went along. It really worked very well.

Now "back at work brains" has caused the products name to flee my brain ... will check the packaging this evening and snap a pic of the branding.

I used a water based sealant from Builders over the holidays....the builders is the same product from a better known brand, just packaged for them, and a little cheaper.

Gave the old Oregon Pine a good sanding down to base, and applied a thin coat with a rag, rubbing it in as I went along. It really worked very well.

Now "back at work brains" has caused the products name to flee my brain ... will check the packaging this evening and snap a pic of the branding.

Thanks very much!! Please send pics

Rystix perhaps?

Finally finished the “Cocktail” table. It was started when I thought “what can I do with these Meranti offcut strips?” Laminated, planed, sanded and sealed, the top is 900 x 900 x 50.

Learnt a new skill during the holidays - grinding - though I can now put 2 pieces of steel together with a stick welder. Need lots more practice though.

Now for a few cocktails at the table... [emoji484]

927b546f38b310856972d4da0acd2200.jpg

76076893c7365cf5dd0ea2a7119764a0.jpg

Ah Gripseal - still one of my favourites when I need to colour some wood. I've sprayed it very successfully as well - well most of them in any case. Some of the darker tones and ALL of the super glossy/glitter tones (like glowing coal) have large particles in that clogs the filter on my spray guns. And of course, this affects the shininess of the finished product - glowing coal loses all it's sparkle and comes out a (actually pretty beautiful) silver. 

You can thin it with water if needed. The absolute best way to apply is with a sponge, but you need to learn how to work it into corners without too much build-up, and how to feather for overlaps. It tends to almost double in darkness if you over-wipe (is that even a word?) I prefer spraying it for a really even coat. The lighter colors takes two to three decent coats to really cover wood. Some great effects can be made with a very thinned down (50:50) mix of the dark colors on a light wood - you get a burnt/faded effect if applied with a brush or sponge.

I have only recently started dabbling in some woodwork.

I have slowly accumulated the tools I feel I need for the small projects I will be taking on.

I have started making some planter boxes for myself and family members and I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig which is pretty cool.

Its simple to use and I like the screwless finish it leaves. Should be nice for cabinets and drawer assembly too. On the planter boxes its crucial to make the pockets in the length boards though as you need the space for the battery drill and driver. Thankfully my mistakes will be hidden by the soil in the boxes.

Working my way up to an Adirondack chair which I have always wanted, so if anybody has plans for this please share.

I have only recently started dabbling in some woodwork.

I have slowly accumulated the tools I feel I need for the small projects I will be taking on.

I have started making some planter boxes for myself and family members and I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig which is pretty cool.

Its simple to use and I like the screwless finish it leaves. Should be nice for cabinets and drawer assembly too. On the planter boxes its crucial to make the pockets in the length boards though as you need the space for the battery drill and driver. Thankfully my mistakes will be hidden by the soil in the boxes.

Working my way up to an Adirondack chair which I have always wanted, so if anybody has plans for this please share.

Google is your friend, many free plans and templates available for download.

Do you mind posting a pic or link of the Kreg pocket hole jig?

I spent some time trying to get organised over December, made a tool wall for behind my bench and started working on a lathe cart.

Once the lathe cart is done I will make a holder for the lathe chisels and then should be able to start working a bit more efficiently.

post-4822-0-54714400-1516175505_thumb.jpg

Chisel holder works quite nicely and holds them securely.

post-4822-0-37010900-1516175541_thumb.jpg

I couldnt figure out what to do with pencils etc so I hand carved this guy out of a piece of bluegum I had lying about.

post-4822-0-30601300-1516175585_thumb.jpg

Im really enjoying having a specific place for the tools I use the most, they always go back to the correct spot and I dont have to spend ages figuring out where I put them, which has been the case up to now.

For the guys living in estates. How/where do you do your woodwork that you don't bug the neighbours? 

I dont live in an estate but I have a great relationship with my neighbours and dont want to annoy them. I stop using things like the table saw after 8pm so I assume most people in estates/complexes would do something similar.

For the guys living in estates. How/where do you do your woodwork that you don't bug the neighbours? 

I live in a complex. I try and keep people in mind so don't work after 7pm.

Our rules and regulations don't allow power tool usage after 1pm on a Saturday and not at all on a Sunday which is an absolute pain but I work around that. Again, build good neighbourly relations and you won't have issues.