Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

In case anyone was wondering, you can buy pallet wood that has either not been used to make pallets or that has already been disassembled from pallet form. Works out cheap, but obviously needs work.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-construction-materials/eastern-pretoria/pallet-wood-for-sale/1002584183760910010355909

This will probably be your cheapest option.  And could probably also give a rustic feel. Or put them through a thicknesser if you want a smooth surface.  You can also always stain them if you want another colour.

Laminated floor boards looks too plastic to my liking, and the real wood engineered ones are $$$$$.  Or try to find some reclaimed Oregon Pine floor boards.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-construction-materials/johannesburg-south/83mm-oregon-floorboards-for-sale-in-good-quality/1002582680320911280396109

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably be your cheapest option.  And could probably also give a rustic feel. Or put them through a thicknesser if you want a smooth surface.  You can also always stain them if you want another colour.

Laminated floor boards looks too plastic to my liking, and the real wood engineered ones are $$$$$.  Or try to find some reclaimed Oregon Pine floor boards.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-construction-materials/johannesburg-south/83mm-oregon-floorboards-for-sale-in-good-quality/1002582680320911280396109

a decent engineered flooring board goes for around R850-R1400/msq .... and then you get more expensive options too if your pockets are deep

Remember that a lot of palet wood is treated which is not what you want in a livingroom untreated.(Some nasty stuff)

Something else to consider is that wood panelling will make the room feel smaller so if it is a smaller room that wall will close in on you

Newly planed or clean sanded pine rapidly changes colour (oxidation) so what was a light pine colour changes to an orangy brown pine

Timber suppliers sell 12mm tongue and groove pine panelling. Splitting 22mm pine into 8mm planks is not a viable option

Unsealed timber gets dirty very quickly.

Edited by porqui

Joints were a bit raggedy ... but easy enough to sort out ... which we did later on.

Actually like that staggered look. Very nice. Must say the pine is looking nicer everytime I see it.....

Have you thought about floor laminate? Secure with some adhesive.

I did think of this but it looks to fake and plasticky plus not sure how it would hold up to screws when securing pictures

That was my thinking too, a 8 to10mm plank should be more than good enough as it is only cosmetic. Just need to find somebody that can rip a 20mm thick plank in half and i should be good to go.......

There's a guy in Villieria that resaws lumber like that - he's done 2x 16mm out of a 40mm plank for me before. Will find his number and post it here.

Actually like that staggered look. Very nice. Must say the pine is looking nicer everytime I see it.....

I did think of this but it looks to fake and plasticky plus not sure how it would hold up to screws when securing pictures

I don't know hey. We installed laminate at our place about 4-years ago and it's a) holding up just fine, and b) doesn't look like plastic. I even did a bulkhead ceiling with it

2q2DQ0b.jpg

mMo9Trw.jpg

And it was one of the cheapest options at Flooring Depot.

I would just build a subframe out of some SAP, mount that to the wall, and then with a small nail in the tongue fix the laminate to the subframe with some Soudal adhesive. That's what I did for the bulkhead, and it's still in the air. (touch wood). If you have exposed sides just get some good looking tile edge trim to tidy it up.

I don't know hey. We installed laminate at our place about 4-years ago and it's a) holding up just fine, and b) doesn't look like plastic. I even did a bulkhead ceiling with it

2q2DQ0b.jpg

mMo9Trw.jpg

And it was one of the cheapest options at Flooring Depot.

I would just build a subframe out of some SAP, mount that to the wall, and then with a small nail in the tongue fix the laminate to the subframe with some Soudal adhesive. That's what I did for the bulkhead, and it's still in the air. (touch wood). If you have exposed sides just get some good looking tile edge trim to tidy it up.

were you not tempted to also clad the side of the bulkhead facings?

you could always go large  .... external cladding on a house we did in town

Have 600sqm of paneled interior and a bit of exterior at our offices. Looks epic but costs are eye watering.

Remember that a lot of palet wood is treated which is not what you want in a livingroom untreated.(Some nasty stuff)

Something else to consider is that wood panelling will make the room feel smaller so if it is a smaller room that wall will close in on you

Newly planed or clean sanded pine rapidly changes colour (oxidation) so what was a light pine colour changes to an orangy brown pine

Timber suppliers sell 12mm tongue and groove pine panelling. Splitting 22mm pine into 8mm planks is not a viable option

Unsealed timber gets dirty very quickly.

Pallet wood is not treated with anything other than being kiln dried.

Yes, companies like Chep do paint theirs, but the discarded pine or saligna pallets laying around is perfectly safe to use.

Pallet wood is not treated with anything other than being kiln dried.

Yes, companies like Chep do paint theirs, but the discarded pine or saligna pallets laying around is perfectly safe to use.

Pallets that my goods are packed on and shipped from China, Taiwan, Germany and the UK are treated as well as paperwork supplied with shipment saying so.

There's a guy in Villieria that resaws lumber like that - he's done 2x 16mm out of a 40mm plank for me before. Will find his number and post it here.

Really hope I have the right guy here - he's saved on a clipboard on my workshop wall as Planke Saag Fanie Steynberg - 072 720 7272 

Pallets that my goods are packed on and shipped from China, Taiwan, Germany and the UK are treated as well as paperwork supplied with shipment saying so.

Yes, correct, for phyto-sanitary reasons, however, the pallets being used locally are not treated at all (cost considerations)

It makes the cost too expensive and kiln drying deals with most issues due to heat. So accessing pallets from a yard at a good price puts you at no risk .