Jeeers, some ppl put in many long hours every week....kinda makes me a worried man when I see the hours.

All depends on your goal for the race, so would not take too much notice of hours some do... as long as you are happy with your training for your race goal

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I’ve seen you’re not too shabby in the hours department yourself

Trying to catch up for the hours lost. Feel more nervous this year than any previous years. strange that

All depends on your goal for the race, so would not take too much notice of hours some do... as long as you are happy with your training for your race goal

my goal is just to medal basically. And drink beer at Barneys on the Monday. Is that bad?

oh, and to finish in a position lower than my number 1616 thus <1616. Not a lofty goal at all but running is a problem.

Getting to the stage now where I am gatvol of this whole Tri malarkey thing. :)

Edited by IceCreamMan

Anybody know of places where I can train for swimming in Stellenbosch and Cape Town over the school holidays?

You say that now. But, after race day and some rest, I suspect this will change. 

I can even see with my tri group that they are tired and testy. I am also not in a great place with my training (specifically my cycling), so took an off day yesterday, binge watched some new series and ate whatever I wanted. Feel a bit better today. 

Anybody know of places where I can train for swimming in Stellenbosch and Cape Town over the school holidays?

what type of training do you want? ocean or pool. if you want ocean then bigbay and small bay are always good. Then there's silvermine dam, camps bay tidal pool, camps bay and clifton beaches

what type of training do you want? ocean or pool. if you want ocean then bigbay and small bay are always good. Then there's silvermine dam, camps bay tidal pool, camps bay and clifton beaches

Pool for now. Still very new to swimming so don't want to take any chances is the big blue. I see Stellenbosch has a pool, can you swim there and how do you go about getting access?

I think I might have reached the end of my triathlon days.

I did a race yesterday, was just a sprint so nothing special. 

The problem was I just didnt enjoy it much, triathlon seems to be dying out in EL and there were less than 50 people who entered the race. The who spirit and vibe around it wasnt there either which is a shame.

When I first started doing them around 12 years ago we had tons of people entering and it had a great vibe but over the years I have noticed the events thinning out. My friends who I used to do them with have all left SA too which doesnt help with the fun factor.

It really seems to be a case of most people got into it and did a lot of racing, did a few 70.3's and then got over it. I honestly didnt think that would happen to me but I think Im at that point now.

Time to start adventure racing...

my goal is just to medal basically. And drink beer at Barneys on the Monday. Is that bad?

oh, and to finish in a position lower than my number 1616 thus <1616. Not a lofty goal at all but running is a problem.

Agreed - race day can come now, training is becoming a grind.

Edited by DA\/ID

Are you not going to give any of the IM races in Europe a Tri?

I'd like to do Challenge Roth next year.

Time to start adventure racing...

I have done a few AR's they are quite fun. Well they are fun as long as in not doing the nav that is, they become way less fun when I keep getting people lost!

Are you not going to give any of the IM races in Europe a Tri?

I'd like to do Challenge Roth next year.

I have done Weymouth 70.3 an will do it again this year. Not decided on anything else yet. But spoilt for choice here. Races every weekend an sometimes more than 1.

Did look at Roth but it would of been hellish expensive. Think I will look more into the non branded ultra events like celtman etc. much cheaper an more endurance than race orientated. I like cycling a lot so nay just look at cycling endurance events. Legs can’t handle the running anymore.

I have shin splints. They are not bad yet according to my bio. She can feel where the muscle is pulling away from the bone. So she taped the area, did some myofascial release and said I needed to work on calf strength and ice my shins every evening. I can still keep on running, but cannot up my mileage, and just be careful. 

Been in such a good space with my running, as I was starting to not feel so terribly slow. Just goes to show that these couch to Ironman in 1 year plans are very optimistic. If I were going to do IMSA this year, I would have been in quite a bit of trouble right about now. 

Any other tips to heal up quicker and avoid the issue in the future? 

I have shin splints. They are not bad yet according to my bio...

Any other tips to heal up quicker and avoid the issue in the future?

Sorry EmJay, well done for getting professional help in good time. Agree that rapid increases in training from zero do not allow the necessary time for the whole body to adapt. I do think though that training for three disciplines does allow for a higher overall training intensity & volume than doing just one sport.

Make sure your shoes still have cushion in the areas that you need it, try to run on softer surfaces, and cut down on fast running (as well as very slow running). And be diligent about rehab: stretching, icing, resting, exercises.