Great race by Henri; Richard Murray left himself too much to do after the swim; and Wian Sullwald kept himself in contention but didn’t have it in the run. Well done Saffas.

Looking at those times they would lap me if I use my first sprint time. Insane. And 30 seconds for T1? I really, really need to work on my transition times... 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, redlining all the way for sure.

The transition times are amazing, but remember that they also have very short distances between the swim exit, bike & bike mount line, unlike most of our races where we run up through the dunes (or from the dam) just to get to the bike park.

As discussed earlier it’s the run leg where big changes happen, but you need to make sure your swim & bike are strong enough to put you in contention. As shaper has said, having a strong run also makes triathlon fun regardless of how well the swim & bike went.

How would you go about setting out 100km in a week?

That is big volume, so the first thing I would do is to get a coach, who can help with planning and monitoring. 

with those volumes, unless you structure your training and recovery correctly, you could end up overtraining.

I had a set back in my training where I have been suffering from shin splints. That's healed up now and the cause was found to be new shoes I bought. I have 7 weeks to Durban. My longest long run in the last blocks was 15km. I want to run 16km this weekend, and then increase it by 1km each week until Durban to get to 21km, with my last long run being around 14km a week before Durban. 

Will keep doing the following sets: hills, threshold, 2 x bricks (20 min off HIIT bike and 5km after long ride). 

What do you guys think? 

if you're aiming for 21km in the Durban 70.3 then I wouldn't push the training up. I'd keep it low and comfortable and protect the legs. You don't have to do 21km beforehand. But that's my view

If your goal for the future (after this race) includes a longer run, ie 42 or the like, then up keep adding km's to build up running in general (while obviously tapering right for Durbs).

But for a 21km, you don't need more than 15km sessions. 

Me thinks... 

I had a set back in my training where I have been suffering from shin splints. That's healed up now and the cause was found to be new shoes I bought. I have 7 weeks to Durban. My longest long run in the last blocks was 15km. I want to run 16km this weekend, and then increase it by 1km each week until Durban to get to 21km, with my last long run being around 14km a week before Durban. 

Will keep doing the following sets: hills, threshold, 2 x bricks (20 min off HIIT bike and 5km after long ride). 

What do you guys think? 

You already running 15kms... so push it to 20kms on the weekend now and not 1km a week.  There are programs that go from zero running to marathon distance in 12 weeks and you want to go at 1km a week???

You have a decent enough running base.... time to push yourself and stop convincing yourself that you cant !

Edit: if you have a base fitness then the 10%rule you can throw out the window.  I had an ITB injury midway through the later part of last year, my runs were confined to 5kms easy for 7 weeks and the odd 10-12km on a weekend to test out.  As I had already entered the 32km Tough One, I decided to run it with little to no long distance runs.... the lay-off actually did me good, I felt relaxed, took it easy (ran within myself) and felt strong all the way to the end, so much so that hammered the last 5kms to get a sub 3hr!

Edited by shaper

if you're aiming for 21km in the Durban 70.3 then I wouldn't push the training up. I'd keep it low and comfortable and protect the legs. You don't have to do 21km beforehand. But that's my view

I do not disagree with you. But, I did this for EL, and I was not run fit. Very far from it. I am fitter and a bit faster since EL, but I still don't feel confident of a stronger run off the bike in Durban. I can shave off 60 minutes from my EL time (60% from the run at least) if I can get my run consistent by June. 

Going to just go further, even if I have to slow down a bit. Will also make some trips to the bio to contain any niggles. 

cool. I was being cautious with the shin splints. If you're wanting to improve your time and the shin splints don't act up then go for it. But if the aim is to just finish then I wouldn't risk it. 

I do not disagree with you. But, I did this for EL, and I was not run fit. Very far from it. I am fitter and a bit faster since EL, but I still don't feel confident of a stronger run off the bike in Durban. I can shave off 60 minutes from my EL time (60% from the run at least) if I can get my run consistent by June. 

Going to just go further, even if I have to slow down a bit. Will also make some trips to the bio to contain any niggles. 

FYI I attach a Sub 4hr Marathon training plan from Asics... not hectic running but consistently running. It goes from running a 3M/5K on week one of day 1 to the full marathon race at the end of week 16.

In particular look at the long Sunday runs, Week 3 you are doing 12 miles, a month later you are 17 miles and the month after that you are up to 20 miles and by race day 4 months later you are running a marathon  ... which is a 66% increase in distance in 2 months.... much more than 10%, (lets not dwell on the % increase from month 1 to month 4) ... so as I said, if you are coming from no running background/fitness then 10% increase is good for both fitness and for your body to adapt to the rigors/physicality of running... once you have running fitness and are running 2/3/4 times a week.... then forget about the 10% 

If you want to get running fit, run more often during the week!

ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub-4.00.pdf

So I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I've just started triathlons (did my first sprint one 10 days ago) and I'm struggling with the swimming (spent a lot of time doing backstroke to avoid drowning type struggling) so I have decided that I need some coaching. Can anyone recommend a coach in the Sandton area?

So I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this but I didn't want to start a new topic.

I've just started triathlons (did my first sprint one 10 days ago) and I'm struggling with the swimming (spent a lot of time doing backstroke to avoid drowning type struggling) so I have decided that I need some coaching. Can anyone recommend a coach in the Sandton area?

http://multisportcoaching.co.za

https://www.facebook.com/SwimSmoothJoburg/

Jana Schoeman is great. She has squad at a pool in Craighall. 

I need some advise please.

Doing my first IM70.3 in Durban. I have never done any kind of triathlons before, so I really don't know anything.

Regarding clothing, I already got a Orca wetsuit for the swimming, and have all the cycling gear. My question is, do I really need a Trisuit??

I was just going to wear my cycling shorts underneath my wetsuit, and just put on a cycling shirt for the cycling leg, and also use the cycling kit to do the run. Will this work?

I need some advise please.

Doing my first IM70.3 in Durban. I have never done any kind of triathlons before, so I really don't know anything.

Regarding clothing, I already got a Orca wetsuit for the swimming, and have all the cycling gear. My question is, do I really need a Trisuit??

I was just going to wear my cycling shorts underneath my wetsuit, and just put on a cycling shirt for the cycling leg, and also use the cycling kit to do the run. Will this work?

The pad in your cycling shorts can absorb a lot of water which will slow you down and could potentially be uncomfortable on the run. The cycling jersey also could potentially chafe you as they are not designed with running in mind. Chafing under the arm can become really painful. It's not an absolute requirement, but I would test it out before doing your 70.3 in full cycling kit. If the chamois in your cycling shorts is not too thick, it could work if you swap out your cycling jersey for a running shirt. You could also potentially do a full change. Just be aware that you will have to change in the tent however and this will add quite a bit of extra time. 

You can pick up a trisuit for around R1000 if you shop around carefully. Try Cycle Factory Outlet. They have some really good deals. 

Oh. I have to add. I bought a pair of Orca tri shorts and they are my favourite cycling shorts by far. I have done really long rides in them (120km) and would pick them over any other shorts every time. I snagged them at Sportsmans for R1000 on special iirc. That is another option instead of a one piece tri suit. 

Edited by EmJayZA