For those of you that did the full IM, how many hours did you spend training a week towards the end?

I'm considering trying to go for the African Tour Medal next year, but the running is my nemesis...

The correct question is how soon do you start training, not how much you can cram in at the end.

The "tour" is spread out over a long period so consistency is key. 

Trying to cram for events most often leads to injury and sickness at the most inopportune times.

The sooner you can start putting the kilometres in the bank, even if its just 5km runs, the less stress your body will be under when competing in the events and you will recover better between events.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct question is how soon do you start training, not how much you can cram in at the end.

Trying to cram for events most often leads to injury and sickness at the most inopportune times.

The sooner you can start putting the kilometres in the bank, even if its just 5km runs, the less stress your body will be under when competing in the events and you will recover better between events.  

I'm currently training for the MiWay Cape Ultra, so busy getting the time and mileage in the bank, just trying to determine how much time is invested for the full IM, because I can't think it would be as simple as just doubling the current workload.

For those of you that did the full IM, how many hours did you spend training a week towards the end?

I'm considering trying to go for the African Tour Medal next year, but the running is my nemesis...

Long cycle and run on the weekends, building up to race distances.

and 1 hour in 3 or 4 mornings during the week

I'm currently training for the MiWay Cape Ultra, so busy getting the time and mileage in the bank, just trying to determine how much time is invested for the full IM, because I can't think it would be as simple as just doubling the current workload.

It's definitely not just a double up of training volume. 

thankfully.

Depending on how long you have been involved in training (how many seasons), when you were last sick and or injured, you could probably get away with maybe another 20 - 30% more volume, BUT the important thing to consider is the intensity of the extra training. 

I do 9 to 11 workouts per week with 3 swims, 3 cycles, 3 or 4 runs and a strength workout. Most people build up to about 17-18  hours of training per week.

I try and do about 5-7 sessions per week in a normal week when not training for anything specific. I find that if I start out too far out in advance with serious training I get a bit battle-worn (read: gatvol) towards the end and start to view the training as more of a chore as opposed to doing it for enjoyment. Thus, I now start serious training programmes about 16 weeks out from event-day while keeping up a fair level of fitness through the year.

Edited by Craai

Currently 10-12hrs a week, just maintaining some fitness (I don't like getting too unfit). 12 weeks out from IMSA the intensity and focus of the training will start. At it's peak 4-5 weeks from the event will be close to 20hrs a week, the weekends will be almost half of that with a 6+hr ride Sat and a 3+hr run Sunday

So I've always imagined getting to a point where running a 21 and cycling a 100 becomes bread and butter.

Which means aiming for a half IM distance like you're doing is spot on. Get that race distance well under control then you just need to add on some longer sessions later on down the line. Your fitness will be fine so doubling everything is not a real consideration. By then its just being comfortable with the length.

Saying that speed is clearly not my goal here, so for serious efforts you'll need (I imagine) a lot more time put in.

As my coach said, this is a journey, a lifestyle.  It's NOT a concert ticket!

I'm starting my training in two weeks time - 40 weeks out from IMSA.

Sjeez!!! So I seriously need to get off my @ss

I try and do about 5-7 sessions per week in a normal week when not training for anything specific. I find that if I start out too far out in advance with serious training I get a bit battle-worn (read: gatvol) towards the end and start to view the training as more of a chore as opposed to doing it for enjoyment. Thus, I now start serious training programmes about 16 weeks out from event-day while keeping up a fair level of fitness through the year.

The gatvol part is quite easy.  Problem is that the events are quite expensive, so you can't just "quickly" enter for an event.  I have however found that my OCD (Analysis Paralysis) does help.  When I get gatvol/lazy I start tracking my TrainingPeaks graphs (premium edition though).  This really helps!

@Disylizzy, just START!!  Get a reputable coach to help you as trying to do your own program is quite tough.  Then, and I know most of us back markers sukkel with this, stay CONSISTENT in your training!  You will see the change in your times on and off the bike and in the water.

As my coach said, this is a journey, a lifestyle.  It's NOT a concert ticket!

Sjeez!!! So I seriously need to get off my @ss

The gatvol part is quite easy.  Problem is that the events are quite expensive, so you can't just "quickly" enter for an event.  I have however found that my OCD (Analysis Paralysis) does help.  When I get gatvol/lazy I start tracking my TrainingPeaks graphs (premium edition though).  This really helps!

@Disylizzy, just START!!  Get a reputable coach to help you as trying to do your own program is quite tough.  Then, and I know most of us back markers sukkel with this, stay CONSISTENT in your training!  You will see the change in your times on and off the bike and in the water.

have a look at https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/triathlon/ironman

A lot will depend on your goals for a full IM, if it is just to finish with a fair bit of walking on the run, then not much more... If you want to race and do the best you can, then training will be considerably more!

Have you got a training plan? If yes, good. If not you will need to consider an online like MPG or MTD else self coach train from plans you can download off the Web or trainingpeaks.

Whichever you decide, a training plan will give structure and focus which is what you will need when training for such an event.

Edited by shaper

A lot will depend on your goals for a full IM, if it is just to finish with a fair bit of walking on the run, then not much more... If you want to race and do the best you can, then training will be considerably more!

Have you got a training plan? If yes, good. If not you will need to consider an online like MPG or MTB else self coach train from plans you can download off the Web or trainingpeaks.

Whichever you decide, a training plan will give structure and focus which is what you will need when training for such an event.

I see you're in Slaapies.  Maybe try and get hold of Steve at Embark Training.  They have groups, etc. down there.  If you prefer online training then MPG, Rynard Tissink or Lynette Cronk.  I have no experience with MPG but I can recommend Lynette!

<EDIT>

And if you can consider attending a triathlon camp.  It makes a HUGE difference!!!  I attended a DBT (http://www.debruintrain.com) camp and it was AWESOME.  Don't kid yourself, it's TOUGH, even for the more experienced and stronger guys/gals.  But I also saw what I could do and it was a huge motivating factor.  And it's nice living like a pro, even if only for 4 days.

Edited by ewep

I see you're in Slaapies.  Maybe try and get hold of Steve at Embark Training.  They have groups, etc. down there.  If you prefer online training then MPG, Rynard Tissink or Lynette Cronk.  I have no experience with MPG but I can recommend Lynette!

I was planning on doing the Embark training.  It personally helps me to be part of a group to keep my accountable and consistent  ^_^

I was planning on doing the Embark training.  It personally helps me to be part of a group to keep my accountable and consistent  ^_^

Steve does a brilliant job.  I joined the Jhb group (at that stage) for my Durban 70.3 and it helped.  I would've suffered (more  :whistling: ) if I didn't start out with a group.